Spaz Camber 2018, or ?

The Ghost

Hey folks,

I'm considering a new bike and the Camber range has my attention at the moment, specifically the Comp and the Comp Carbon.

My first questions are Is the Carbon worth 20k extra, and do I go 1x or 2x?

Next up is what other brands and models should I be looking at?

Mostly XC type riding, but I don't want something like the Epic, its a bit aggressive for my comfort.

Thanks

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just got a scott team RC at a fanatastic price - all the latets tech and a epic winner frame so cannot go wrong there just over 11 kg,s also a win

They also do a more trail oriented version with a dropper post. I'd go for that over a Camber judging by the reviews.

Pyga Stage or Stage Max (more trail oriented). Cheaper than the SC Tallboy and it's local.

Stage Max GX build 1x12 retails for R72995 with a Reverb dropper. I just bought a lightly used one for R50k - rides really well with 140mm up front (Stage Max) and 126mm at the rear. I'll be using it for long marathon rides too.

Go 1x unless you do LOTS of tar/fast gravel. 

Simple really:

Santa Cruz Tallboy. Take it for a spin and fall in love.

I like the idea, but Im sure that I wont like the price (I already cringe at R55k).

Pyga Stage or Stage Max (more trail oriented). Cheaper than the SC Tallboy and it's local.

Stage Max GX build 1x12 retails for R72995 with a Reverb dropper. I just bought a lightly used one for R50k - rides really well with 140mm up front (Stage Max) and 126mm at the rear. I'll be using it for long marathon rides too.

Go 1x unless you do LOTS of tar/fast gravel. 

Eina price.

Thanks on the 1x

just got a scott team RC at a fanatastic price - all the latets tech and a epic winner frame so cannot go wrong there just over 11 kg,s also a win

Im really not a Scott fan, but I'll have a look into it, thanks

I was in this predicament April last year so can hopefully provide some useful insight.

First off, if you do go with Spaz go chat to the guys at Cedar Square, they were phenomenal in providing me advice and allowing me to make multiple use of their test bikes (Camber and Stumpy) over weekends and during the week and were very cool about me eventually going with a Tallboy. They were so good in fact that I am taking the better half there on this weekend to look at Rockhopper as I found their service topnotch.

I ended up with the Tallboy and absolutely love it but it was 20k more than the Camber (I went for the S build - I think). I did look at the Pyga Stage and Stage Max but they were more expensive than the Tallboy - perhaps I had the wrong bunch quoting me!

I see that in the 2018 Bicycle Buyers Guide they had the Camber as the winner in this category (ie bike that can do stage races and "shred" a trail) - Tallboy, Ibis Riply LS and Trek Fuel Ex9.9 also made the list but the latter 2 cost over 100k and Tallboy (S build) comes it at 88k.

I also test rode 1x and 2x and I would go for 1x but that comes down to personal preference in my view - test both versions.

In summary, you cannot go wrong with the Camber for 55k and that swat compartment rocks! 

Edited by Wet Ears

I can only speak about the Camber as I have not owned other bikes in this category. The Camber is excellent, the geometry allows you to climb like a mountain goat and descend even better. The bike isn't too long which translates to very nippy handling on single track. The Swat box is awesome, and means I don't have to carry a pack or God forbid a saddle bag. It is a very efficient pedaling bike, I think Wayne from Rideratereview sums it up nicely as a trail rider's XC bike.

I do have some complaints though. I think that for the money the brakes on the bike are seriously sub-par. The NX shifter and cassette, and Race Face crank is also a bit meh - I think it should have veen specced with a better crank and GX shifters and cassette too. (Not sure if the 2018 is the same?) The Revelation is a good fork, but for heavier riders it is not stiff enough. A Fox 34 or Pike would be much better.

All in all you won't go wrong with the Camber - but I think the "Expert" build is a better buy, although still overpriced. I also think the Expert build can be compared with the SC, not the Comp build - it will always come off 2nd best.

As for Scott - if I had to buy again I would go for the Spark, it is from all acounts an incredible bike and great value for money. But in any case, my advice would be to ride as many as possible test bikes and see which one you feel at home on - at the end of the day that's the bike you should buy - and the reason I keep going back to Specialized even though I know they are overpriced and underspecced.

EDIT: 1X for the win.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

They also do a more trail oriented version with a dropper post. I'd go for that over a Camber judging by the reviews.

Went through this exact same exercise, was looking for a xc bike with slack head angle and playful nature, pretty much a do it all bike. ended up buying a scott spark 940. really happy with the purchase so far

I have a Spez dealer thats going to loan me a Camber for a few days, which I really appreciate.
I'm not so sure I'll get a Scott on loan.  :mellow:

Went through the exact same exercise and I came from a Epic

i decided to go with a Scott 930, not the RC

Scott is slacker, has a better spec and is lighter

only thing i hate is all those damn cables, still need to sort mine out but loving the lockout so won't ever get rid of it

Another thing to consider is that Specialized just updated the Epic's frame so the next frame to get a makeover is the Camber which many believe to be end of this year

Went through the exact same exercise and I came from a Epic

i decided to go with a Scott 930, not the RC

Scott is slacker, has a better spec and is lighter

only thing i hate is all those damn cables, still need to sort mine out but loving the lockout so won't ever get rid of it

Another thing to consider is that Specialized just updated the Epic's frame so the next frame to get a makeover is the Camber which many believe to be end of this year

I was under the impression that the 2018 version was already different.