Giant vs Merida - decisions decisions!!

Venga

Hi Gents,

About to take the plunge and get myself a good Dual-sus XC bike.

I cant seem to decide between Giant and Merida's 2018 carbon models.

I have narrowed down to the below:

Giant Anthem Adv Pro 1 (2018): Got a deal for about R55k, retailing for R61k-R65k

Merida 96 9 7000 (2018): there's a special for R49k, and retails for about R60k-R68k.

Spec links below:

Giant: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/anthem-advanced-pro--29er--1-2018

Merida: https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/full-suspension/cross-country-marathon/2018/ninety-six-7000-8895.html

Given that the Merida is at least R5000 cheaper at the moment, will this be the better deal? Or would the Giant be that much more worth it?

Any other spec differences to consider?

Thanks,

Simba

Which one makes you drool - you'll forget 5k either way in a week.

Giant comes standard with carbon rims and 12 speed GX, not sure about wheels on the Merida.

I'd go Giant.

From the little I know the Giant seems to come out with the parts being just that little better than the Merida. Giant has the 12 speed GX, Merida the 11 speed XT, Giant Carbon rims, Merida seems like Ali rims.

However all these things can be changed and/or upgraded in the future if you wish. So I would go with the bike that gives you that little warm feeling inside.

PS. I think the Merida is a prettier bike :whistling:

From the little I know the Giant seems to come out with the parts being just that little better than the Merida. Giant has the 12 speed GX, Merida the 11 speed XT, Giant Carbon rims, Merida seems like Ali rims.

However all these things can be changed and/or upgraded in the future if you wish. So I would go with the bike that gives you that little warm feeling inside.

PS. I think the Merida is a prettier bike :whistling:

Lol, Prettier for sure. 12 speed is a big plus!

I'll go for the Giant because of the lifetime warranty.

Noted, though i think the Merida also has lifetime warranty on the frame

Which one makes you drool - you'll forget 5k either way in a week.

Giant comes standard with carbon rims and 12 speed GX, not sure about wheels on the Merida.

I'd go Giant.

I think the Giant has a bigger drool factor! Thanks

I am biased towards the Merida, as I like the brand and the 7000 is a pretty bike.

When YOU look at both bikes, which one makes you want to jump on and ride? Pick that one.

RRP on that Giant link is R73k....

Forks are the same

Wheels - Giant has carbon wheels vs Merida Alu

Drivetrain - Giant has Eagle vs Merida's XT

The rest seems pretty similar.

HA on the giant is 69 vs the Merida 70 in the larger sizes.

Then the suspension - Giant Maestro vs Merida - Giant tends to be great all round where Merida apparently is excellent for pedaling efficiency.

Giant has possibly the best warranty in the business.

I'd go Giant unless you plan on racing the ultramarathons.

RRP on that Giant link is R73k....

Forks are the same

Wheels - Giant has carbon wheels vs Merida Alu

Drivetrain - Giant has Eagle vs Merida's XT

The rest seems pretty similar.

HA on the giant is 69 vs the Merida 70 in the larger sizes.

Then the suspension - Giant Maestro vs Merida - Giant tends to be great all round where Merida apparently is excellent for pedaling efficiency.

Giant has possibly the best warranty in the business.

I'd go Giant unless you plan on racing the ultramarathons.

Hi @madbrad thanks for the info. I am looking for a medium frame. 

Correct me if I am wrong, the lower the head angle, the less stability and more speed you get right? 

Hence the Giant would be faster (more efficient), but the Merida more stable when it gets complex?

Not sure 1 degree is noticeable though?

Correct me if I am wrong, the lower the head angle, the less stability and more speed you get right? 

Hence the Giant would be faster (more efficient), but the Merida more stable when it gets complex?

Other way around. Lower head angle = more stability.

The head angle determines the "twitchiness" of the bike and can also effect the handling. The slacker the head angle, the better the bike will descend and the more stable it will be, the steeper the better it will pedal however less stable the bike becomes.  

There are other clues as well that should influence your decision. Eg, the Anthem comes with a 780mm handlebar compared to the 720mm on the Merida. Combined with the slacker head angle on the Giant this will be a more “Allrounder” bike with a fair trail pedigree.

I tested and reviewed the Anthem 2 a while ago. I was impressed.

https://gluvsmtb.blogspot.co.za/2017/08/demo-derby-i-had-misfortune-to-have.html?m=1

I opted for a Trek Topfuel 9.8 as that was the bike that made my heart beat faster and I got a fantastic deal on a 2017 floor model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by GLuvsMtb