Who is Lappartient?

SwissVan

Having followed many of LA Tours on Supersport I became a big supporter.

The one thing that I never understood - he was tested OFTEN, yet he passed the tests as per the regulations AT THAT TIME.

I have since learnt more about "systematic doping" ....

QUESTION - was "systematic doping" described in the rules AT THAT TIME ?  Did he knowingly break the rules.  OR, did he (and many others) exploit a loophole in the rules at the time ?

For those that followed F1 racing - Michael Schumacher KNEW the rules, and he often used this knowledge to his advantage, even winning a race by taking a penalty stop during the very last lap.  In fact, some of the "stunts" he pulled resulted in rules being amended over the years.  But knowing the rules, and using it to his advantage certainly did not make him a cheat ....

Thus my question - did LA act outside the rules at the time when he used systematic doping ?

simple answer. Yes

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

simple answer. Yes

pity ....

I certainly liked his riding and tactical approach to the Le Tour.

Clearly he was outside the "spirit of the law".

Was hoping he was just "working the system", pushing the limits while staying IN the letter of the law.

Having followed many of LA Tours on Supersport I became a big supporter.

The one thing that I never understood - he was tested OFTEN, yet he passed the tests as per the regulations AT THAT TIME.

I have since learnt more about "systematic doping" ....

QUESTION - was "systematic doping" described in the rules AT THAT TIME ?  Did he knowingly break the rules.  OR, did he (and many others) exploit a loophole in the rules at the time ?

For those that followed F1 racing - Michael Schumacher KNEW the rules, and he often used this knowledge to his advantage, even winning a race by taking a penalty stop during the very last lap.  In fact, some of the "stunts" he pulled resulted in rules being amended over the years.  But knowing the rules, and using it to his advantage certainly did not make him a cheat ....

Thus my question - did LA act outside the rules at the time when he used systematic doping ?

Regardless, we all know he was the baddest mofo in the world. 

pity ....

I certainly liked his riding and tactical approach to the Le Tour.

Clearly he was outside the "spirit of the law".

Was hoping he was just "working the system", pushing the limits while staying IN the letter of the law.

OH he worked the system alright. I kind of feel like you've missed out on quite a big story in cycling here. If you are interested in the Armstrong years, and like reading, then the book "Wheelmen" by Reed Albergotti is brilliant. As others have mentioned, so is Tyler Hamilton's autobiography.

Spoiler alert: almost anyone you've ever liked in the tour De France has taken drugs. The early 90s were especially bad because EPO existed and a test did not. 

To quote an article that tries to work out who the "actual" winner of the tour was for each of Lance's wins (starting at 1999):

"It appears second-place finisher Alexander Zülle is our new 1999 champion! But wait. The Swiss cyclist was a member of that tainted Festina team that had just been thrown out of the Tour a year before. He even later admitted that he used drugs, and tested positive. So Zülle is out. I’d name Fernando Escartin the winner, but in 2004 a former teammate spilled the beans about Escartin’s team’s systemic doping, so that’s not a safe pick. In fourth place was Laurent Dufaux, but like Zülle, he was on that Festina team. Ángel Casero, the fifth-place rider, was named in Operacion Puerto, a big investigation into by Spanish police that took down the doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who provided the doping fix for countless riders. Abraham Olano finished behind Casero, but he was a happy customer of Italian doctor Michele Ferrari (Armstrong was another client), who has been banned by USADA for giving drugs to his athletes. From my research, it looks like Daniele Nardello should be champ because he’s the highest finisher not twisted up in a drug scandal. Congrats, Daniele. Someone should find him and tell him."

Think we are a post or two away from proving Godwins Law....

Godwin's Law. I don't mean to be a grammar nazi though. 

Oh s**t what have I done?

Had to google it.....well done guys, this was seriously funny... :clap: :thumbup:

OH he worked the system alright. I kind of feel like you've missed out on quite a big story in cycling here. If you are interested in the Armstrong years, and like reading, then the book "Wheelmen" by Reed Albergotti is brilliant. As others have mentioned, so is Tyler Hamilton's autobiography.

Spoiler alert: almost anyone you've ever liked in the tour De France has taken drugs. The early 90s were especially bad because EPO existed and a test did not. 

To quote an article that tries to work out who the "actual" winner of the tour was for each of Lance's wins (starting at 1999):

"It appears second-place finisher Alexander Zülle is our new 1999 champion! But wait. The Swiss cyclist was a member of that tainted Festina team that had just been thrown out of the Tour a year before. He even later admitted that he used drugs, and tested positive. So Zülle is out. I’d name Fernando Escartin the winner, but in 2004 a former teammate spilled the beans about Escartin’s team’s systemic doping, so that’s not a safe pick. In fourth place was Laurent Dufaux, but like Zülle, he was on that Festina team. Ángel Casero, the fifth-place rider, was named in Operacion Puerto, a big investigation into by Spanish police that took down the doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who provided the doping fix for countless riders. Abraham Olano finished behind Casero, but he was a happy customer of Italian doctor Michele Ferrari (Armstrong was another client), who has been banned by USADA for giving drugs to his athletes. From my research, it looks like Daniele Nardello should be champ because he’s the highest finisher not twisted up in a drug scandal. Congrats, Daniele. Someone should find him and tell him."

Daniele Nardello - Road for Deutsche Telekom

Next...