1x conversion - pedal arm snapped off

Fabian46

Removed my 2x chain rings on my SRAM GXP setup. Put on the DM oval chainring from RAPIDE for my groupset with the 6mm offset. Took it to the bike shop to put on all my 11spd goodies and set it up, but apparently short a few things. They then use my old chain and it’s 1x10 for now.

Get home, ride for about 100m max, and pedal arm snaps off! And then I see they’ve installed spacers.

Does the 6mm offset not negate the need for spacers?

They seem to have over tightened the screw on the pedal after putting in 2 spacers on that side..and it’s clean off!

Were spacers needed ?

Are you talking about chainring spacers?

Yes, 3 were put in. 1 on drive side, 2 on non drive side.

SRAM x7 10spd shifter

RAPIDE 6mm offset chain ring

SRAM XO rear derailleur

Eina. Changed my 2x10 XT crank to 1x11. Rapide 32 oval with offset and no spacers added as I did it myself. No problems. Nothing. Got Rapide 34 Oval on and still 100% also with no spacers.

Maybe I'm wrong, but cant a see spacer(s) break the crank

They added bottom bracket spacers, take a measuring tape and measure you the bb shell width it’s either 68mm or 73mm.

I suspect they’ve add 2-3 spacers too many, causing the crank bolt not to be fastened correctly causing the crank arm to come loose.

The pictures aren’t clear if something is broken... but if you’ve got a bb tool take out the 2 spacers they’ve put in on the non drive side, tighten up everything crank arm just a bit tighter than elbow lock and off you go

Eina. Changed my 2x10 XT crank to 1x11. Rapide 32 oval with offset and no spacers added as I did it myself. No problems. Nothing. Got Rapide 34 Oval on and still 100% also with no spacers.

Maybe I'm wrong, but cant a see spacer(s) break the crank

No it won’t...except now they can tighten that screw more than what it can handle I would imagine.

My understanding was also that no spacers were needed hence why I put it on like that...they then added the spacers by themselves for some reason.

They added bottom bracket spacers, take a measuring tape and measure you the bb shell width it’s either 68mm or 73mm.

I suspect they’ve add 2-3 spacers too many, causing the crank bolt not to be fastened correctly causing the crank arm to come loose.

The pictures aren’t clear if something is broken... but if you’ve got a bb tool take out the 2 spacers they’ve put in on the non drive side, tighten up everything crank arm just a bit tighter than elbow lock and off you go

The screw is broken clean out the crank arm. I actually didn’t think any spacers were needed.

The screw is broken clean out the crank arm. I actually didn’t think any spacers were needed.

Once droo or some whiz sees this they may correct me if I'm wrong; but more than the required amount of spacers(you need 3 if you got a 68mm frame) is a big nono.

Ie. the mechanic is hodge podging your drivetrain. If that's the case, it's their fault and they should replace whatever is now broken.

Once droo or some whiz sees this they may correct me if I'm wrong; but more than the required amount of spacers(you need 3 if you got a 68mm frame) is a big nono.

Ie. the mechanic is hodge podging your drivetrain. If that's the case, it's their fault and they should replace whatever is now broken.

To give more perspective, the only thing that changed was me taking off the 2x10 chain rings and shifter and mech, and replacing it with the single chain ring. All the components I’ve been running as is for close to 4 yrs

To give more perspective, the only thing that changed was me taking off the 2x10 chain rings and shifter and mech, and replacing it with the single chain ring. All the components I’ve been running as is for close to 4 yrs

What happened definately isn't normal. How many spacers are on at the moment?

What happened definately isn't normal. How many spacers are on at the moment?

3 in total.

2 non drive side

1 drive side

3 in total.

2 non drive side

1 drive side

That seems perfectly normal if your frame has a 68mm bb shell.

But you say it didn't have spacers before, which probably means it's a 73mm shell.

Take a ruler and make shure. If it's a 73mm, the spacers should not be there. If 68mm, they should.