Garmin Edge or Wahoo Elemnt (or other??)

dawnh100

So, we're starting to dabble in the ultra MTB races (and I'm a value for money rider - so assume 16+ odd hours for the near-future) and some of that is self navigation.  Because my Garmin Fenix is definitely NOT going to last that long when in navigation mode - I'm thinking of buying a bike GPS computer.  

Question is: in terms of user experience, value for money, BATTERY LIFE, which one is the "best" one? 

The Garmin Edge 1030 has extra battery life, but is seriously expensive and I'm having issues with the Garmin watch distance and elevation accuracy as it is. 

Any opinions welcome!  

Garmin easily beats the Wahoo for navigation... my wife has the Bolt and price / quality beats the Garmin if navigation isn't needed as a main feature...

So, we're starting to dabble in the ultra MTB races (and I'm a value for money rider - so assume 16+ odd hours for the near-future) and some of that is self navigation.  Because my Garmin Fenix is definitely NOT going to last that long when in navigation mode - I'm thinking of buying a bike GPS computer.  

Question is: in terms of user experience, value for money, BATTERY LIFE, which one is the "best" one? 

The Garmin Edge 1030 has extra battery life, but is seriously expensive and I'm having issues with the Garmin watch distance and elevation accuracy as it is. 

Any opinions welcome!  

if you are riding for 16+ hrs what do you want from your GPS bike computer?

that 1030 does just about everything except ride your bike and make coffee.

I use the garmin etrex 30x. It is a GPS, to which you can add a heart rate monitor. It can use penlight batteries and gives about 21-22hrs of life before changing. You can also buy a battery pack and it gives about 20 hr before needing a recharge.

it gives all the usual speed/distance/avg readings - and because it is a GPS is excellent at navigation. Reasonably accurate.

What else do you need ?

if you are riding for 16+ hrs what do you want from your GPS bike computer?

that 1030 does just about everything except ride your bike and make coffee.

I use the garmin etrex 30x. It is a GPS, to which you can add a heart rate monitor. It can use penlight batteries and gives about 21-22hrs of life before changing. You can also buy a battery pack and it gives about 20 hr before needing a recharge.

it gives all the usual speed/distance/avg readings - and because it is a GPS is excellent at navigation. Reasonably accurate.

What else do you need ?

I hadn't thought about something like this.  

The only other integrations that would be useful - but not mandatory - would be access to my power meter for power readings while riding and sync ability with Garmin Connect.  

Other than that - can't think of anything. 

I hadn't thought about something like this.  

The only other integrations that would be useful - but not mandatory - would be access to my power meter for power readings while riding and sync ability with Garmin Connect.  

Other than that - can't think of anything. 

that is the downside, it cannot connect to power meters and other such stuff. the device is mainly for outdoor usage as a GPS, that has ANT+ connection to a HR

also it is half the price of anything else.

currently on special for R3299

https://www.easygis.co.za/garmin-etrex-30.html

the nice thing for me, but for the technological freak out over a few metre difference in distance measuring folk, is that speed and distance are all calculated using GPS, no need to set up different bikes and stuff.

Just get on your bike and ride, or go outside and run, or go outside and walk, or use your 4x4 to get lost. It works for me, but is not for everyone.

Edge 820 and a power bank of sorts...can charge while you ride if need be.

More than enough...

Im a big fan of the Garmin 520. 

Buy it in the UK for about R4k and get it brought in.

Plenty of battery life if you manage the settings.

You can load up detailed free maps.

The screen is very easy to read and most of the device is intuitive.

Great local support through Navworld even if you havent bought it locally.

820 = R7000!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

nee, thats mal

I bought mine in September from www.bike-components.de for 370€  That should be 5550 ZAR.  7000 is mal.

Hi Slowbee

We thought we would add our 2 cents here as we are involved with a number of stage races and the GPS Navigation Side of things at these events.... We provide GPS Navigation for the Joberg2C, Sani2C, Lesotho Sky, Swazi Frontier, Berg & Bush and a few more events.

- Garmin Edge 520 - This is the most popular unit we see at events, very easy to load routes onto the unit, provides Cadence, Power, Speed, Distance, Heart Rate etc, Connect to Strava etc. Battery life +/- 15hrs depending on what you have switched on.
- Wahoo Element - Not easy to load routes onto the unit unless you have an Internet connection & Smartphone even then it is tricky. Great value for money as is also offers most of the features above and the price is slightly less. Battery life +/- 17hrs depending on what you have switched on.

Go for Garmin Edge 520 if you want good navigation features and the Wahoo if you want good value for money.

If you are looking for something slightly cheaper just for Navigation the eTrex 30X will do the job but then it is more for navigation and less for Cycling dynamics.

If you want the touchscreen with physical Topo Maps then look at the Edge 820, Edge 1000 and Edge 1030 options available.

We have these all on our website and if you require any further assistance let us know, we are happy to help and guide you through all the options that are available.

- https://www.easybike.co.za/fitness-gps/garmin/cycling.html

- https://www.easybike.co.za/fitness-gps/wahoo/bike-computers.html

Regards
EasyBike

sales@easybike.co.za

Just emailed you guys the link to the thread

I spoke to Mathew about the etrex 30x and if you have stock. Was meant to send a link regarding the back light with bluetooth capability as a safety feature, but work just got to busy.

Just emailed you guys the link to the thread

I spoke to Mathew about the etrex 30x and if you have stock. Was meant to send a link regarding the back light with bluetooth capability as a safety feature, but work just got to busy.

No problem at all.

We will get back to you shortly on this.

EasyBike

Edge 820 and a power bank of sorts...can charge while you ride if need be.

More than enough...

There is a cable available to charge the unit without interrupting the ride. The guys that have done Everest challenges use it a your ride has to be continuous. I think its generally available at tech shops,