Merida one forty 500 2017 advice

NatashaHorne

Hi

I have a entry level Silverback Slade 3 size small, which I have been riding on and off for a couple of years now and am looking to upgrade. I do mainly trail riding or jeep track and the odd single track, nothing too technical, as well as the odd event. I ride for the enjoyment and the scenery. I came across this 'sale' on the bike addict website and am wanting other hubbers input. Is it worth it at that price and should I stick to a small frame? I am 1.62m or 1.63m tall( can never remember and not a lightweight- working on that). They also have a titan sonic comp (2017) for R11 690. Or should I wait and save a bit more for something else.post-122839-0-86360100-1518557775_thumb.pngpost-122839-0-68123500-1518557787_thumb.pngpost-122839-0-79138500-1518557798_thumb.png

That looks like a GREAT deal !

Seems like the classic sale you get this time of year ... they need to move old stock to make room on the floor for the 2018 spec bikes.

The Deore components is ample for the average rider.  The price will increase drastically if you want better components.

The 2x10 gear set is brilliant !!  Nice low gear, and good top-end.  IF you get into hill climbing it is easy and cheap to replace the rear cassette with an 11-40 or 11-42.

I am on my second Merida.  Solid bikes and good value for money.

ENJOY :)

bump ....

where are the experts ?

Natasha hang in there, many members here with lots more knowledge than me .... sure they will be around to provide their input

That Merida has a very very nice spec for the money - 140mm travel and dropper included, It will be fun on the trails and general all day mucking about. 

Well worth taking for a test ride!!

Tom

Wow, Bike-Addict has some very nice prices!!

If your budget can stretch, and you decide that really want to fly down every mountain like an absolute hooligan, they have a One-Sixty 7000 for around half of the original list price!! 

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/merida/products/merida-one-sixty-7000-2017-bikes-coming-soon-prices-subject-to-change

Going up mountains on this however, will be a little slower.... 

Tom

Very nice, very capable, well specced and now really keenly priced. At such a discounted price you cannot go wrong.

Just one thing to be aware of, on the small frames you cannot fit a bottle cage inside the frame to carry a bottle, there is not sufficient space. But at such a price that is immaterial, carry a Camelbak.

Very nice, very capable, well specced and now really keenly priced. At such a discounted price you cannot go wrong.

Just one thing to be aware of, on the small frames you cannot fit a bottle cage inside the frame to carry a bottle, there is not sufficient space. But at such a price that is immaterial, carry a Camelbak.

that frame space looks very similar to the TREK Fuel EX range .... only fit the smaller (half size) bottles in my EX5 frame ....

still want to try the brackets that drop the bottle holder lower (closer to the shock) ... maybe, just maybe, one could then fit a full size bottle

that frame space looks very similar to the TREK Fuel EX range .... only fit the smaller (half size) bottles in my EX5 frame ....

still want to try the brackets that drop the bottle holder lower (closer to the shock) ... maybe, just maybe, one could then fit a full size bottle

If you find a solution on the SMALL please let us know how.

Tried 3 different brackets, including the Shimano AND Wolftooth bracket. When you do manage to move it down far enough with the Wolftooth bracket the bottle presses against the shock and the full floating suspension does require quite a bit of space if you do not want the lockout lever to rub against the cage/bottle. It effectively makes it only usable for a tool can.

Even the rep at Merida acknowledged it is a problem on the SMALL. On the Medium you can wangle a 300ml bottle with creativity, but it works.

The bottle cage challenge does however not take anything away from a damn nice bike. It is excellent value for money and with a couple of minor upgrades it turns into a trail machine.

For the record it also takes some commitment to mount a bottle cage for a 500+ ml on the small Pyga frames.

At that price I would go for it. It is good frame and is well specced for the money. It even has a dropper post which is a really useful item and should be on every mountain bike.

You will find the bike very confidence inspiring and it will open a whole new dimension of riding for you. It will definitely be very fun bike to ride and will bring you a whole lot of enjoyment. You will find yourself being able to ride trails you never thought possible. 

Merida is solid choice and has good backup in SA

Hi Natasha

No, not a downhill bike, more of a mid-travel trail bike.

With the slightly longer travel, this will be a very forgiving bike on the rough stuff, it also looks like it has a short stem and slack head angel, so handling will be pretty good.

So bike will be happy doing the odd stage race, but at the same time should be fun to muck about on.

Where it might suffer a bit is a slightly lighter front end when going up the very steep stuff.

Tom 

Thanks for all the input hubbers. I was advised by someone that this is a downhill bike, is that correct?

Think you might need to inform someone that they have flunked this test....

That Merida is not even an Enduro bike. It is a Trailbike aka. All Mountain, which falls in the 120-160mm classification. It really is more the kind of travel that most of us should have on our bikes. Most people are sold XC machines with 80-100mm of travel; trails and races are getting more technical, and challenging, and unfortunately we are seeing more people injured due to their talent and skill running out - most of us can really do with more skills training than fitness training (that is another discussion).

We have a number of people riding with us (ladies included) that are now on 120/140mm bikes and they have started to enjoy it when trails turn more technical and they can let their hair down. Previously they were on short travel skittish XC racers and you could hardly take them anywhere but a putting green.

AM bikes are more forgiving by design, they are more comfortable, have slacker geometry and are more capable in the rough stuff. And depending if you set sag at 25% or 35% the attitude of the bike changes a lot and gives you plenty of flexibility in how you can use your bike.

Many people find new fun in riding when they swing a leg over a 120/140mm bike and stop being dirt roadies.

I respect that statement made by Pusher, that 140mm might be more than you need. With that said, if you have 140mm, you have 40mm more to use than on a 100mm. When you bottom your 100mm fork, you definitely will wish that you had an additional 10/20/30/40mm of travel. It is much easier to reduce the travel on a 140mm fork to 120mm than it will be to add 40mm to a 100mm fork. :thumbup:

Archived