[Event] STBB4GOOD MTB CHALLENGE

Anna_Afrika

Rode it last year, was exciting but pretty straight forward.

To be honest it was so hot last year i wouldn't mind taking a dyk bicycle and all. 

Maybe the organisers can add a gap jump or a few berms on the floating bridge? 

hahaha seriously okes, moaning about a straight forward floating bridge at the end of a race... HTFU man.

I think its a great addition to a well organised event!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode it last year, was exciting but pretty straight forward.

To be honest it was so hot last year i wouldn't mind taking a dyk bicycle and all. 

Maybe the organisers can add a gap jump or a few berms on the floating bridge? 

hahaha seriously okes, moaning about a straight forward floating bridge at the end of a race... HTFU man.

I think its a great addition to a well organised event!

Maybe they can add a gap jump and berms in the chicken run, that will be more fun than a straight-forward floating bridge.

Event Name: STBB4GOOD MTB CHALLENGE

When: 13 October 2018

Where: Overgaauw Wine Estate, Western Cape

Category: MTB

This year’s STBB4GOOD MTB Challenge and Family Day will be taking place on Saturday 13 October 2018 at Overgaauw Wine Estate in Stellenbosch over the Bottelary Hills MTB Trails and Conservancy. The aim of this event is to raise funds for the Miles for Smiles Foundation.

The MTB race has become known as one of the “must-do” events on the MTB calendar. Our routes are enjoyable, challenging and well marked, our marshals are on the ball, we have the top class water tables in the industry, and we are told that ours is one of the best organised MTB races in South Africa. Unbelievable prizes from our generous sponsors, and loads of prizes to be won.

After the race, chill out in Bedouin tents, eat, relax and take in the view. Enjoy the food market, artisan beers and wine tasting, plus a jumping castle and arts and crafts for the kids.

Distances: 60km | 45km | 30km | 12km | 5km

ENTRIES OPENING 13 APRIL 2018

Go to Event Page

Can we still enter? Missed the deadline yesterday :(

Jissis ....what is it with you guys. Nobody said do or don't ride bridges. I was stating the factors around bridge riding that I felt needed mention.

I simply made a point that everyone but newbies have ridden bridges and the risk to your electronics and bearings must be taken into consideration before riding them (not after you go for a swim) - and that a chicken run is almost always available.

My opinion is that  organisers see water bridges as an attraction when in reality, riders do not consider them an important draw-card. (in fact I think riders generally don't know about a bridge till they get there)

To Organisers, sorry did not intend to degrade the event or routes or your bridge; nor to discourage entries.

To Newer riders or new to bridges - sorry I did not intend to make the actual riding technicality sound daunting, or to scare you off.

Yes, on a hot day the swim will be refreshing - At this event the bridge is at the end (so no problem if you do get wet) - but if you are going to ride it - Simply make sure your important stuff is waterproof.

It can be a fun and special experience to ride a bridge - and everyone will be a little nervous, not just you !   Anyway, if you follow a few simple rules - you won't have a problem.

If I may - some pointers :

* erm...yes waterproof electronics.

* Start at a pace and gear you can maintain

* Too slow -  and you will have difficulty with balance and staying on line - or the bridge will start to sink if you are very slow or stop - or you might not make it up the off-ramp.

* Too fast - and you could slip on curves in the bridge - or catch the rider in front of you.

* Give the rider before you time to get going - the bridge can handle your weight fine, but two riders together will cause the bridge to sink too much ; - then you both swim.

* Some bridges sink a bit more than others which creates a 'wake' in front of the rider. i.e. It feels if you are riding against a wave so you need to maintain your pace.

* If you stop before the bridge (example. riders waiting to cross) - ask the guy behind you to give you some space to get going before he starts.

* If a rider falls off in front of you - don't look at their swim technique - keep concentrating on where you are going - If the fallen rider tries to hang on the bridge or to get back on the bridge; shout to him that you are going to kick his teeth in. 

* If you fall in, (it will normally be head first) so hang onto your riding ray-ban glasses - don't laugh so much that it results in you drowning - and don't go back to the bridge ! just walk or swim out (at events where the water is deep, they will have helpers (kayaks and ****) but usually the dams are shallow and you can walk out. 

Now, getting back to the comment re "go ride on the road" and "bikes are made to get dirty"

Bwaaahaaahaaa ...... you are so funny.

ps. I do like the idea mention of placing a gap jump in a bridge.

So, I think I have covered everyone who had a comment on my original words , phew,  this is why I so seldom try to contribute to the forum topics - just not worth all the comments from readers who turn and twist one's topic without making a useful new contribution to it.

Can you pick up the race pack on the day? or do you have to pick it up either at cape Town / Somerset West?

Can you pick up the race pack on the day? or do you have to pick it up either at cape Town / Somerset West?

Now this is something worth ranting or writing essays about rather than floating bridges.

Staying in the Northern suburbs, enter a race in the northern suburbs now I have to drive out all the way to cape town or SW in working hours to register?

From the communications I have seen no registration on race day?

Now this is something worth ranting or writing essays about rather than floating bridges.

Staying in the Northern suburbs, enter a race in the northern suburbs now I have to drive out all the way to cape town or SW in working hours to register?

From the communications I have seen no registration on race day?

So that is how you have also read their communication?  

These bridges are easy, never had issues with this one or back when Backsberg still had one. Might downgrade from the long route depending on how the bronchitis I have been booked off with go. Doc's note says I'm fit to resume duties on the 13th... so just in time then  :thumbup:

About water getting into your bike, I recall I had this debate with someone else about the Agulhas MTB ride and the beach section. It's a bike designed for going offroad, where it is dirty and wet, it's part of the territory. I ride my bike on the beach, sometimes in the water, no problem. If the headset creaks, then open it and clean it, same goes for the other areas. I'd rather have more fun and regular maintenance than no fun and slightly less regular maintenance. 

My bike is 250km away from 20,000km. 

Yup, love the beach - regularly do recovery ride to Melkbos from Durbanville - then beach from Melkbos to Koeberg and back - beach trip only about 8km but fantastic cool breeze and beautiful. (I have second set of wheels with old worn tyres that I use when route is mainly tar or plain dirt roads)  

The only bridges that have ever made me have doubts was the vaal river crossing (because the wood pallet bridge was starting to disintegrate - and the long bridge at the lagoon/coast on sani - because of the many riders on bridge in front of you that may go down.

But to get to my point - I am also currently trying this ride till it breaks. I have a friend (110kg) who has not replaced any drive-train components for years on his road bike - and its still problem free.

Another friend has his mtb serviced about every two months at local dealer - and of course they recommend changing everything - whole drive train and bearings. (he can afford it - so no problem for him !

I just wish I could buy his bikes when he sells, because everything is always brand new !; but frames too small for me). My budget is minuscule compared to his.

In his defense, we are always amazed at the amount of hammering mtbs take and mostly without major failures (and little obvious damage)- from grinding in dust, sand, mud and rain to flying down steep rocky descents with bumps and ditches.

I do my own maintenance, (road and two mtbs - and my son's road and mtb) - takes a lot of time, specially when doing the bearing, shock and forks as well. So, I am keen to see how well my drive train last - when all I am currently doing is clean and lube well after every ride.

So my chain is already stretched past limit and cassette and chain-rings are showing some wear - but I am not replacing till gears jump/skip or whatever worse happens. Although the parts are worn, they appear to have married together.  In the meantime I keep my eyes open for bargain prices on the components so that it will be a cheap-ish drive-train replacement if/when required.

Only issues I can say I have noticed so far is occasional blip after changing and now that the chain is stretched, and bends sideways more, I need to be aware which gear I am in to get a easy chain-ring shift. (I ride 2x). On the other hand, the chains ability to bend sideways - has a benefit to cassette wear when the chain-line is at an angle. 

Compared to my previous habit of replacing the parts - chain as soon as 80% worn and cassette and rings after about every three chains (using new chain starts to skip at that stage) - I am sure this 'ride till its trouble' approach will save a pretty penny.

Time will tell.

Thinking....this might be a good subject for tech forum (now that we hear so little from Johan Bornman and no risk being scolded by him) :P

So that is how you have also read their communication?  

Have confirmed with them, those are the pickup sites, but you can ask a friend or someone to pick up your pack too

I'm lucky enough to be close to STBB in town, just collected mine, plus two others, No need to bring there board or anything. The girls there are most helpful  :thumbup:

Until Saturday  :clap: Have an awesome ride all ....

Have confirmed with them, those are the pickup sites, but you can ask a friend or someone to pick up your pack too

I'm based 5km from the race venue; this has gone from the most convenient race I've ever done to something far more silly.

Surely they must allow on the morning registration?  It's a small event

I'm based 5km from the race venue; this has gone from the most convenient race I've ever done to something far more silly.

Surely they must allow on the morning registration?  It's a small event

Yeah I also liked it when you could do it on the day. I stay in Stellenbosch and ride to the venue (15km). My dad stays on Vlottenburg but now has to drive all the way to Somerset Mall to get his number.