Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

4 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Sounds like cheating to me😂. 

I think I should maybe test one out proper before I comment on it but yeah I dunno I’m still old school I think. Wont be buying one anytime soon as well. Bikes are so blady expensive as it stands just maintaining 3 of them is enough for now. 

Look, I'm also in the "real men ride analogue, e-bike riding is mechanical doping" camp. Two observations stand out having actually ridden on one; 

1. I tell myself whatever I need to hear so that I can sleep better at night.

2. My eyes are open to the potential that those bikes bring to a ride.

BUT . . .

I will also just say the bit that few people mention. E-bikes absolutely CHEW through consumable parts. Tyres, brake rotors, brake pads, cassettes, chains, chain rings need replacing much more frequently due to the torque they put out. That is a major deterrent.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So anyways following on from my initial question regarding trail conditions. I went out and did Bloemendaaler this morning as recommended and then back down Rooikat. 

It’s been a while since I’ve been down the ‘daaler but can I just say that trail after the refurb is absolutely brilliant now. Basically bone dry as well, so much grip and with the refurb it’s been completely flattened and redone so no ruts or anything. You can really have fun down there now. 

Rooikat, if anyone is interested, also pretty much completely dry. They were also busy flattening out the second rooikat descent so once that’s done it should ride quite nicely as well. 

Meerendal seems decent.

Protea Corridor .... uhmmm ...

DAria-17.jpg.e1d2ac1bd0386a1134fcc55d13d7dd4f.jpg

Patric's elves has some repairs to do ...

DAria-24.jpg.b708b76989f7b160c633b6a9600eaa4d.jpg

A good number of cyclists came through that mud .... some trying to carry their bikes while their legs were sinking into the mud ...

7 weeks of record rainfall ....

Trail guides .... riding "off" trails ....

Swak voorbeeld manne 👎

On 8/30/2024 at 1:44 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

Take the trail we were riding as an example. About a third of the way down I was still on the group, but then the trail has a slightly upwards trend, just enough to make it so that you need to take some pedal strokes to keep your speed. Throw in some not so efficient jumps at some odd places that require speed, which is lost because of the ascending nature of the track at that point, and the assisted bikes were able to accelerate away, hit and clear the jumps, and leave me in their proverbial dust just trying to hold on to the train, never mind attack the jumps. I faltered on both objectives. I could not clear any of the jumps nor keep up with the group.

E-bikes make trail riding more fun in that way, to me at least. It's not about needing all the power in the world, its about having some extra kilowatts available when the legs say NO!

Take solace…The fastest times down there are on analog bikes😉.