Help a Vaalie! MTB Route Itinerary Stellenbosch+

DanKoty

Hi Guys, 

We are going down (from JHB) to Stellenbosch next week to try get a real life view of Nino & Emily's quads! While we're there we're hoping to do 3 days of riding and can't quite figure out the best way to use our days. 

We'd like to string together three +-4hr (60-80km) rides, don't mind travelling (Paarl, Grabouw, Greyton???) dont mind climbing, maximising fun single track (but not downhill vibes). 

Any suggestions (maybe even GPS files) for the best 3 rides we could do in the area ? 

also any coffee/lunch spots to hit on the way ?

Your wisdom is highly appreciated

My suggested rides (hang outs):

Jonkershoek (post card cafe)

Coetzenburg/G spot/Eden/mont marie (blue crane & the butterfly in town/Mont Marie restaurant)

Helderberg (Triggerfish craft brewery)

Edited by Patensie

I would go to Jonkershoek 2 times. And then doe G spot coetzenburg Mont Marie. All in STB.

I would go to Jonkershoek 2 times. And then doe G spot coetzenburg Mont Marie. All in STB.

Agree, you can explore Jonkershoek properly and get a good 4 hours challenge just there!!!

Then like someone said, start at the Paradyskloof gate, do Mont Marie, Eden, G-Spot, Coetzenburg XC course, com back, and go up Dornier. Also probably a good 3-4 hour ride.

Then ride to Grabouw (with your car), and do Paul Cluver, Thandi, etc etc. And definitely the A-Z.

Agree Jonkershoek  Stellenbosch definately then Welvanpas in Welington and Paul Cluver /Oak Valley Grabough can't go wrong.

You might as well go and ride Coetzenburg to check out the course before race day. ANd then klap Eden-GSpot and Mont Marie while you are at it. And it's free. 

Jonkershoek is a no-brainer. Pack your climbing legs and see if you can do the Big Classics.

Start with the FireHut trail, then go over up to the Saddle, drop down with the Canaries and fork into Oom Hansie. Go back up to the waterfall trailhead and do Bennets Red, back up and do the full Neverending story into the Valley trail and then limp out to Ride Inn for all the food you can find. 

A Grabouw day is a great idea. Start at Oak Valley, get a combined Oak-Valley and Paul Cluver  permit and then set out and ride what is pretty much the best bits of day2 of W2W. Shower at OV and then follow this up at a stop at Peregrine. 

If you are into rough trails and big descents then you can ride Helderberg as well. But in 3-4 hours you are more likely to do about 40kms. 

Edited by PhilipV

Don't be lured by  distance, it works on a very different scale down in CL. In Stellenbosch 30km can become a 1000m ride. A 50km day is a very big ride out there - at least for me. 

Do one day at Jonkers. Then link G-spot/Eden/Mont Marie on another day. 

Some sound advice from other posts here on the other venues a bit further afield, such as Grabouw. 

Maybe on the last day, ride Helshoogte Pass numerous times (3 -4 times should be more than enough) until you get bike-jacked, and then get a new bike from the insurance company.

Disclaimer: just make sure everything is in order wrt your insurance.

I stay a few 100m away from Eden, Mont marie trails but my favourite longer rides are not even mentioned.. I just love Bottelary Hills especially if you're a few kilos overweight then Jonkers can be a bit hard. Park at the specialized shop next to the R44 for your Eden, Coetzenburg rides.