Misleading Information on Fork - Classifieds

MickeyM35

Hi Hubbers,

I would like to do a sanity check please. Am I being ridiculous or was I misled?

I recently bought a Rockshox SID from the Bike Hub Classifieds for R5500. I asked the seller if it was tapered and he indicated that it was.

When trying to fit the fork to my new build I realized that it was a Giant OD 2 fork meaning 1.5’’ to 1.25’’ as opposed to the standard taper of 1.5” to1-1/8”. The seller did not mention that it was an OD2.

Am I justified in asking for a refund and returning the fork? I feel that I have been misled.

The seller now wants to ask a lawyer if he misled me. I feel this is poor form.

Would appreciate some rational input.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a *** situation, but...

He did mislead you, and you could have asked for more information..

It's probably not worth the hassle, so rather try and sell on and give the dude a poor rating, name and shame here, and get on with it...

You can of course go legal and crazy, but it'll likely cost you more in stress and money than the latter option..

The seller told you it was tapered, which it is.

You should have known to ask what the dimensions of the taper were.

Can you not come to some agreement with the seller and return it to him?

Thank you for your view Johan.

I did not bother to ask for the dimensions of the taper because all of the ad’s on the classifieds indicate either tapered or straight. None of them go into the detail of the dimensions due to the accepted standard.

@dragorosso yip the legal and crazy will cost me but I am one of those that insist on fairness and if the general consensus on the forum is that I was misled, I am happy to take the crazy legal route.

No reasonable person would ask if that tapre was an OD2 one, its really swak not to mention that up front.

Seller probably doesnt want it back because its a pain in the butt to try sell those.

All is not lost though, Im pretty sure you can change headset bearings to make it fit your frame, unless Im mistaken and it was the other way round to get a normal fork to fit an OD2 frame.

I must add that if the general consensus is that’s I am at fault, I will just take the knock and try to sell it on.

I think it is reasonable enough to not require the buyer to ask whether a fork is od2 or not. The seller has definitely misled you by withholding that information.

I think you should demand a return and refund. I don't like the name and shame option, but you could use this as leverage or a consequence if the seller becomes difficult.

If I were selling an od2 fork I'd mention it without a doubt.

I agree with Rocket Boy, I think you are well within your rights to ask for a refund. 

By not mentioning it was OD2 the seller was purposefully obscuring the facts. 

I don't know much about forks, only recently found out that you have tapered and straight. So I would have made the same mistake as the seller; I would also have made the same mistake as the buyer.

I am sorry to say it: but I don't see that the seller was malicious.

Consider this school fees. Next time make sure you view the parts yourself before handing over the money or use one of the escrow services like paywithshepherd.com

But that is just my opinion.

Pretty sure you will get opinions that agree with you and differ from you on here.

OD2 is not for every bike and by not advertising it so and not telling you,I think he has purposefully mislead you by omitting something very important to the sale of the fork.

Speak to lawyer,ppfftt what bollocks is that .He has no intentions on refunding you.

Name & shame. This was done deliberately.

There is a lot of **** I will let slide. I generally try and give people the benefit of the doubt too. Before accusing them of malicious intent. OD2 is definitely something you put in the ad title if you ask me. If not? **** move in my opinion. But there is a chance you can redeem yourself if you come clean when negotiating with buyer. Especially when asked about the steerer directly. Is it possible the seller simply did not know his own fork was OD2? If there's any evidence, even circumstantial, that its possible he simply did not know. I will write it off as school fees. If not (which is probably the case) Then **** him. Besides, anyone who threatens to call a lawyer over a dispute valued at 5k is both an idiot and and asshole. He knew.

...get OD2 headset bearings or complete from dragonsports

At the seller's expense!

The problem with limited stem choice remains.

Thank you all for your responses. I have already bought the headset and the stem for this build. The additional cost and lead time of a new headset and stem is an annoying prospect.

Archived