Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

Also had another thought to try do a community trail building day and turn last fast single track into a nice flow run with some jumps and berms.... Nice tar road for the transfer back up the hill

Let's just do it? The best part about that section is that it is under powerlines so it will never ever ever be developed ever! Also so close to hospital (touch wood) I have a few people keen on my side and I can organise a meeting regarding permission. I think going for forgiveness is the easier option though...

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just do it? The best part about that section is that it is under powerlines so it will never ever ever be developed ever! Also so close to hospital (touch wood) I have a few people keen on my side and I can organise a meeting regarding permission. I think going for forgiveness is the easier option though...

We'll also need someone who's at least built one jump before, my last was bricks and a plank about 30 years ago.

Edited by Nakoota

Well also need someone who's at least built one jump before, my last was bricks and a plank about 30 years ago.

Everyone who build jumps had to start somewhere  :thumbup: 

I had a quick google and there are so many resources it's overwhelming. I don't think gaps would be a good idea anyway... Also a line that cuts out all the fun as well.

Have a look through here so we cut the trails in-between the jumps nicely: https://www.imba.com/explore-imba/resource-hub

We might need to "import" some soil, last time Modders tried to make a berm with Riversand and no Sandbags, you know what happened to that, keep us posted about when, I am keen.

• 3 weeks later...

Trails are starting to look a little better, Chris has been working hard and has put up 4 berms, went there this morning and really enjoyed it.

I found the "black" route, ruins of mordor, man, that section is SAHWEET, but the marking is terrible, I kept second guessing myself because you have arrow pointing you on the right direction and then 500m later one saying you go the other way, and then 500m later you going the right way again and then reversed etv etc, I think the route would be better going the opposite direction to what I rode today but it is awesome either way.

On a side note, Chris is always looking for riders to give suggestions on where things can be made better etc, a really nice guy, gave my bike a free wash after I was done this morning because I had no cash on me, but maybe if we can we can help him out with a donation of sorts once in a while...?

• 1 month later...

Topic hijack ????. I would like to cycle to Modderfontein Reserve some Saturdays to do 5km park run for Vitality points!

I stay in Woodmead. I’m think of taking Northway (Kelvin) and left onto Marlboro and over N3 highway towards the reserve. Is the route safe after the bridge over N3?

Edited by Mokgaga

Topic hijack ????. I would like to cycle to Modderfontein some Saturdays to do 5km park run for Vitality points!

I stay in Woodmead. I’m think of taking Northway (Kelvin) and left onto Marlboro and over N3 highway towards the reserve. Is the route safe after the bridge over N3?

I was going to comment but I was under the wrong impression, I was thinking of the modderfontein road. Edited by Dexter-morgan

I drive that way and have seen a few people cycle that route to Modders.

They cross over the highway, carry on straight through Linbro and turn right, running parallel to the reserve at that point.

I wouldn't do it. But can't definitively say if it is safe or not.

Edited by JK7

Had a ride there a few days ago. Have to compliment the trail crew, since my last ride in June the trails have seen a lot of improvement and maintenance. Still not many features, but the route is well maintained, mostly clear and mostly well drained.

Few spots with a lot of long grass encroaching on the trail, but not really hampering in any way.

Maybe its the fact that I'm on a much more forgiving plus hardtail with some more travel, but I had a great time.

Modders is in a very good condition at the moment - the best I have seen in a long time. Did the red route and while it was sometimes not ridable, today it was. Enjoyed it very much. The berms that they built had a short life span...already washed away so I doubt that we'll see many fun features due to the erosion. I still love Modders. Good way to train if not in the mood for techy stuff.

• 1 month later...

Eish! Went there again this weekend after avoiding it for much of January. The maintenance man is trying but really struggling. Where the grass has been cut, it hasn't been picked up. Left on the trail there is no grip around tight corners. The fast reed section is so overgrown it poses a real hazard. Other sections are so overgrown the trail is no longer visible. Only navigate it because I more or less know where it goes. Very worried that the trails will be ready for the event on the 22nd.

Disappointed, not good enough. Understand why most of my riding friends give it a miss.

So sad as I know how nice the trails could be.

Topic hijack . I would like to cycle to Modderfontein Reserve some Saturdays to do 5km park run for Vitality points!

I take that shortcut in the car often over the N3 and it looks pretty doable

Would say its a damn lot safer after the N3 than before.In fact there seem to be many side trails available

I would go for it

Cannot comment before the N3..looks like its pretty deserted except for the road

Eish! Went there again this weekend after avoiding it for much of January. The maintenance man is trying but really struggling. Where the grass has been cut, it hasn't been picked up. Left on the trail there is no grip around tight corners. The fast reed section is so overgrown it poses a real hazard. Other sections are so overgrown the trail is no longer visible. Only navigate it because I more or less know where it goes. Very worried that the trails will be ready for the event on the 22nd.

Disappointed, not good enough. Understand why most of my riding friends give it a miss.

Thanks, I still have 8 rides on my card, really sad.

Even the walking trails, my wife and I go walking there often, the trail are much better than they were 2 weeks back, but still not right, as you say, grass cuttings left on the trail itself making it VERY slippery, but I also understand that what do they do with that cut grass? Imagine how many bags would be needed to clear it, and just raking it off to the sides wouldnt help much as it would just make its way back to the trails, its a 6 of one half a dozen of the other scenario, they do need more people to work on the trails though, I think its just one guy doing it all at the moment, and that is half the problem

Even the walking trails, my wife and I go walking there often, the trail are much better than they were 2 weeks back, but still not right, as you say, grass cuttings left on the trail itself making it VERY slippery, but I also understand that what do they do with that cut grass? Imagine how many bags would be needed to clear it, and just raking it off to the sides wouldnt help much as it would just make its way back to the trails, its a 6 of one half a dozen of the other scenario, they do need more people to work on the trails though, I think its just one guy doing it all at the moment, and that is half the problem

Every other trail park I go to that charges every rider R50 to ride the trails does a better job of maintenance. This is nothing but bad management or greedy management.

Every other trail park I go to that charges every rider R50 to ride the trails does a better job of maintenance. This is nothing but bad management or greedy management.

Not disagreeing with you, they have let it go to long without any maintenance