Sram Guide RSC vs Shimano XTR

AllAboutRides

Which xtr brakes? Trail or xc?

Guide is a 4 piston caliper and outperforms 2 piston xtr by far.

Which xtr brakes? Trail or xc?

Guide is a 4 piston caliper and outperforms 2 piston xtr by far.

if that will ehlp?

Currently on Guide RSC but to heavy for my bike

are you too heavy for the bike 

or are the brakes too powerful ?

None of the above, love the guides but just curious to find a bit more of shimano xtr m9000, thats all

It can be the difference from a sub 10kg or sub 9kg MTB, also it’s your bike so worry about weight.

So here’s what you gonna some that swear by Guides and some that swear by Shimanos.

The guides are good, and they do have 4pot as explained. SRAM new lightweight XC brakes are the Level’s so you might want to have a look at those as well. They also seem to sort out what so many issues people have been having with their guides, i bought a set of RSC’s its still in the toolbox as I’m consistently hearing the guides work really well when they work, but they most of the time sent in for warranty repairs, and this is from multiple people, i still hadn’t have a reason to fit mine.

I still use XT’s and they are amazing, yes not serviceable but I don’t mind changing mineral oil every season and they’ve been lasting close to 5 years.

Also IMO they XTR brakes looks amazing! I’ve yet to hear any issues on the XTR brakes too, as mentioned above you do the get trail vs race I remember sometime ago I think it was Greg Minnaar that ran XTR levers with Saint calipers on his DH bike. So they do some serious stopping too

They also seem to sort out what so many issues people have been having with their guides, i bought a set of RSC’s its still in the toolbox as I’m consistently hearing the guides work really well when they work, but they most of the time sent in for warranty repairs, and this is from multiple people, i still hadn’t have a reason to fit mine.

it's funny, how pedantic some can be about a measly few grams ,yet are ok with generating FUD by being unspecific about a problem that is very well documented by now. First gen SRAM guides had, as major issue, that stupid plastic piston expansion problemwhich can be resolved by having the internals serviced. Mine was done FOR FREE by SRAM.  In my experience, those brakes are of the very best SRAM has produced.

point is, if we going to be pedantic about 'stuff', then lets be consistent so we are  informed with good, credible info.

Edited by Capricorn

Which one of these 2 are the lightest?

Thoughts on both sets?

Personally I dont mind which is lightest, but I have had both (and XT) on various bikes, and in my opinion the XTRs look the coolest but the SRAMs offer superior stopping performance. 

it's funny, how pedantic some can be about a measly few grams ,yet are ok with generating FUD by being unspecific about a problem that is very well documented by now. First gen SRAM guides had, as major issue, that stupid plastic piston expansion problemwhich can be resolved by having the internals serviced. Mine was done FOR FREE by SRAM. In my experience, those brakes are of the very best SRAM has produced.

point is, if we going to be pedantic about 'stuff', then lets be consistent so we are informed with good, credible info.

First off the weight that was in response to saying why should he be worrying about the +- 85g

As for the guides, glad to hear yours is working well still. Again I’ve heard of multiple guides even after the internal service still having issues.

My allu pistons have arrived I’m going to rebuild the guides bleed them and fit them then I’ll see what all the raving is about, lets see

First off the weight that was in response to saying why should he be worrying about the +- 85g

As for the guides, glad to hear yours is working well still. Again I’ve heard of multiple guides even after the internal service still having issues.

Again, mentioning problems without specifics creates FUD. heard of = hearsay. What were the causes after the services. These things are mechanical devices that follow simple laws of cause and effect.

still not clear on why someone needs to 'worry about 85g'. seriously? What's the actual downside other than a measly 85g? 

Again, mentioning problems without specifics creates FUD. heard of = hearsay. What were the causes after the services. These things are mechanical devices that follow simple laws of cause and effect.

still not clear on why someone needs to 'worry about 85g'. seriously? What's the actual downside other than a measly 85g?

Here on the hub many has mentioned of these issues and i should of been more clear, when asking those who ride guides in my riding circles saying this. Anyway you’ve stated your claim of being the best sram has, try the levels and report back

The weight thing , haha it’s his bike he can do and change what he like if he wants to save 85g then why not?! It’s his bike

Here on the hub many has mentioned of these issues and i should of been more clear, when asking those who ride guides in my riding circles saying this. Anyway you’ve stated your claim of being the best sram has, try the levels and report back

The weight thing , haha it’s his bike he can do and change what he like if he wants to save 85g then why not?! It’s his bike

perhaps take the time to correctly quote what i said ".. of the very best.." It's very different from your misrepresentation.

No one is disputing its his bike to do with as he pleases, But you are obfuscating by presenting a strawman's argument to the question posed to you.

As for the Levels, i'm in the market for something for the HT. The Levels did cross my mind. They good?

perhaps take the time to correctly quote what i said ".. of the very best.." It's very different from your misrepresentation.

No one is disputing its his bike to do with as he pleases, But you are obfuscating by presenting a strawman's argument to the question posed to you.

As for the Levels, i'm in the market for something for the HT. The Levels did cross my mind. They good?

Haven’t tried the levels myself , but i guess irrelevant from the riding circles, yes they are!