RockShox Reba losing travel

colindavie86

Hi All

Does anyone know how my RockShox Reba would be losing travel? It came with 100mm travel but now has 80mm. Even without any weight on it. The fork has been serviced every 6 months and is currently running 100psi.

Would appreciate any advise on how to rectify the problem.

Thanks

Could be a busted air shaft. Just my guess; I'm no suspension guru. 

Droo might drop by in a bit with better suggestions. 

Hi All

Does anyone know how my RockShox Reba would be losing travel? It came with 100mm travel but now has 80mm. Even without any weight on it. The fork has been serviced every 6 months and is currently running 100psi.

Would appreciate any advise on how to rectify the problem.

Thanks

As crazy as this sounds but check the rebound setting

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Dual Air model?

If so, air could be leaking from the positive chamber past the seal to the negative chamber pulling the fork into its travel. 

What kind of services has the fork had? I normal 'lowers' service wont solve that issue. 

It is a 2014 model so should be similar to the 2013

model ?

Could be air stuck in the lower legs ( two ways to solve this )

-Push a cable tie ( nothing metal ! ) past the dust wipe and listen if any air seeps out.

or

- Sit on the fornt tyre facing the handle bar and put both hands under the handlebar next to the stem and start pushing up , don't murder the fork but push with a little meaning ( then wherever the air was will equalize )

common problem on my 2013 revelation

Its a 2014 model so should be the same thing as a 2013. I will try release pressure. It actually does make sense. It bottomed out have the other day so maybe pushed some air through the seals.

Dual Air model?

If so, air could be leaking from the positive chamber past the seal to the negative chamber pulling the fork into its travel. 

What kind of services has the fork had? I normal 'lowers' service wont solve that issue. 

No its just a solo air. Might be due for a full service. I normally do the lowers myself. Maybe must replace the rest of the seals.

Stuck down. Inflate to 150PSI and pull the crown and bridge apart till you hear it equalise - you'll hear a faint hiss.

If that works, keep an eye on it, and if it does it again you'll need to rebuild the air spring.

If that doesn't work, remove the air side anchor bolt at the bottom of the fork and you'll find a valve underneath it. Release the air from the valve, replace the bolt, torque to 6Nm, and compress the fork till you feel it equalise - it'll be very stiff at first.

Then, as above, keep an eye on it.

• 9 months later...

Been having the same issue on an older Reba Race Dual Air. After a service it's fine for a ride or two, then loses travel. I'll give the suggestions a try.

Been having the same issue on an older Reba Race Dual Air. After a service it's fine for a ride or two, then loses travel. I'll give the suggestions a try.

On a dual air just release the air from the negative spring and reinflate until it just starts to settle into its travel.

If it keeps doing it you'll need to replace all the air spring seals, at the same time checking for scratches in the bore of the stanchion and on the shaft and piston. If the shaft has a swaged on thread at the bottom it may have come loose, in which case you'll need to replace the spring assembly.

Had this happen on the start line of a race a while ago.

The negative chamber air was leaking into the positive chamber or something like that.

Also on a Reba but I have the RL model.

I don't think it's the same issue, but that trick of sliding a zip tie down the stanchion - is that for fox only or Rockshox as well?

I don't think it's the same issue, but that trick of sliding a zip tie down the stanchion - is that for fox only or Rockshox as well?

Sliding a zip tie down the seal will do exactly zort for a stuck down fork (sorry Franna...)

The problem is in the spring, not the lowers. On a solo air you can sometimes get it to equalise by pulling on the fork to extend it, on a dual air you'll have to release pressure from the negative spring with the valve and reinflate.