When a winner isn't a winner

Hackster

To be honest, if there is a price money of 5k for the winner of a 25km race and I know I will win it, it will be appealing for me to enter the shorter race. Why did they make the price money so high for a 25km in the 1st place. I also desire new upgrades to my bike and 5k can help with it

I think the 5K the OP added to the question skews the argument a bit. If you really have a short distance with a 5K prize I'm sure you will have quite a few hopefuls dropping down from the long distance to try their luck!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enter the 25k race.......then there is at least a good? chance that I won't finish last.

I think the 5K the OP added to the question skews the argument a bit. If you really have a short distance with a 5K prize I'm sure you will have quite a few hopefuls dropping down from the long distance to try their luck!

Even if it’s 0k, you have all the right in the world to give it your best shot.

there is actually a few shorter distances mtb races that has a price money of it. I think they must rather focus more on prize for the shorter distances only to be won by the juniors, etc and hopefully it will be more in the sense of educational courses vouchers are same type

if it is there for the taking for me, I will give it a go

there is actually a few shorter distances mtb races that has a price money of it. I think they must rather focus more on prize for the shorter distances only to be won by the juniors, etc and hopefully it will be more in the sense of educational courses vouchers are same type

if it is there for the taking for me, I will give it a go

That's the spirit - if at first you don't succeed compete against weaker and weaker competition until you win :-)

Great idea though - make prizes in the shorter distance only for youngsters. Incentivise the people you're trying to develop.

At a duathlon yesterday the shorter race was won by a sponsored athlete - he stood on the podium with two <16 year old athletes in jeans and tee shirts. Bet you his sponsors can't wait to use that image in future marketing campaigns!!!!

In running they solved this conundrum a long time ago and the solution looks like this:

fN1w3Ev.png

(lifted from the Krugersdorp Road Runners Cradle of Humankind race flyer)

Afterwards each category gets a turn on the podium.

Everybody racing in Open is racing in Open, doesn't matter if you are 16 or 39.  If anything the organisers could have introduced a category for juniors, but I certainly won't resent you for out-sprinting some kids to take 1st place.

It's your right to do whatever distance you want with whatever intensity you want. The idea of "letting" someone win is condescending.

Archived