When a winner isn't a winner

Hackster

Tjop is a tjop - if you keep wining the 25km fun ride and everyone else moves on to the bigger event as they improve and you choose to stay behind and win every time - you are a tjop.

I would agree that there should be NO prizes for the 1/2 distance and only prizes for the full thing as the 1/2 should only be a "FUN" ride - screw the prizes

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tjop is a tjop - if you keep wining the 25km fun ride and everyone else moves on to the bigger event as they improve and you choose to stay behind and win every time - you are a tjop.

I would agree that there should be NO prizes for the 1/2 distance and only prizes for the full thing as the 1/2 should only be a "FUN" ride - screw the prizes

Maybe a SLIGHT edit in that Half distances give prizes to U/18 and U16 etc

Hmmm I think I know what this is about...

You are no obligated to share. 

Is this about the Philide...nevermind, there were no prizes. 

So a few years ago this 40-something ended up on the podium of the CTCT MTB 20km route - behind a 12yo and a 16yo.  

Should I move over to the longer distances (which I've already done a number of times)?   :whistling:  (see the tongue in the cheek)

Wouldn't mind some thoughts on this.

Is it bad form to game the system when entering races?

Hypothetical situation A

You're race fit for the 50 km version of the event where you'd probably finish in the top 20 or so, but you choose instead to enter the 25 km version because you know you'll win it with ease which will score you a prize worth R5k.

Hypothetical situation B

You've won your class in a race two years running, together with the prizes and accolades that come with it. Do you step aside to let someone else have a crack at the podium or do you just keep creaming it year after year? 

Caveats: 

I'm not talking about pro events, I'm referencing medium to large fun rides that attract competitors ranging from folk pedalling in their crocs (not judging) to fit & fast amateur racers.

Asking for a friend of a friend.

If you're walking down the street and there is R5,000 hanging from a low branch of a tree which you could easily reach, but then you notice there is also another R10,000 hanging much higher up at the top of the tree which would be impossible for you to get to, take the low R5,000 and carry on walking to the shops and buy yourself something lekker, but just dont consider it much of an achievement.

This whole thread should just be one question:

Do ethics and morals apply to racing. 

If they don't, then you can race whatever and win whatever, and look like a whatever next to whomever on the podium. 

87e758fc383c0076f3a511482ecb51bf.jpg

There is it.

Combined Argus and oceans times. Third time winning for Will.

Any prize money or is this just an excel sheet competition? :-)

Smash the children in the short race!

No don't. That is a jerk move.

A hard faught second place against your peers beats and easy win against beginners hands down.

When I was riding seriously as a 20something year old I was away in a 2 "man" break with a youngster at some or other church race in the middle of nowhere. That youngster rode his heart out and attacked me on the last climb. I could have easily chased him down (he was 16ish) but I didn't. The look on his and his folks faces at the end proved I made the right decision.

Smash the children in the short race!

No don't. That is a jerk move.

A hard faught second place against your peers beats and easy win against beginners hands down.

When I was riding seriously as a 20something year old I was away in a 2 "man" break with a youngster at some or other church race in the middle of nowhere. That youngster rode his heart out and attacked me on the last climb. I could have easily chased him down (he was 16ish) but I didn't. The look on his and his folks faces at the end proved I made the right decision.

That's a great story. 

I'm using it in my next race for everyone that beats me. 

Nobility. 

That's a great story.

I'm using it in my next race for everyone that beats me.

Nobility.

Do it!

The parents of the nursery school kids will be your best mates :-)

TGIF.

By the time I get to the finish the podium is on the back of a bakkie.

Same here, even if I drop down and do the kiddies 2km race! Those little f####rs race hard!

Wow... we made it to page 3, and no one's mentioned the outright unfairness of people not stopping while the race leader takes a poep on the side of the road #fridayyeah

Archived