Ironman 2019 - PE

_David_

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also been hearing strong rumours of Morocco, there is a new 70.3 in Marrakech in October..... perhaps they will wait to see how that event goes before announcing?

The website still says 'Nelson Mandela Bay' for the 2020 edition - however the date is TBD... 

The website still says 'Nelson Mandela Bay' for the 2020 edition - however the date is TBD... 

Negotiations between IM and NMB Council... maybe they are waiting to see what happens in the elections.

For all those planning on  IMSA 2020 will notice that there is no date announced yet. It is always announced at the awards ceremony however not this time. If you wondering what the reason is, its because there has been a fall out with the municipality and our stupid anc coalition mayor who insists the event goes out for tender ??? Talk around town here is that the chances are high that 2019 might have been the last IM held here. They had to even payout SMME business a hefty amount to stop them from blocking the race this last weekend as they had threatened to do. IM Europe who we fall under and IMSA have had enough of there demands and ****. However negotiations are continuing and lets hope that sanity will prevail.

If that is true, I would hardly blame them for looking at alternatives.

• 1 month later...

The sad part is that the Metro will commit to running the event without interruptions ,but when you are dealing with a bunch of lawless self appointed SMME`s they will hold the event to ransom.

With our police and Metro police current attitude of not getting involved just the threat of  violence to athletes are enough to move the event.

Ironman themselves set a precedent this year by giving in to demands and handing nearly 800k to these so called service providers. Who failed in the so called work they had to do.IM had to do it themselves in any case.

These thugs have now tasted the money. More will appear asking for hand outs.

Only one decision can be made --move to a safer city.

Similar thing happened in Canada...

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/opinion/article_b0064e58-a4dc-11e8-9a22-472b8d7ca6e5.html

"Ironman eventually found a new dance partner in Whistler, where this year’s race attracted the usual 3,000 athletes and the economic impact has been estimated at about $10 million annually.

Hindsight is 20-20, and it’s now abundantly clear that city officials of the day made a huge mistake when they parted ways with Ironman, a brand that means something.

City officials of today should be on the phone with Ironman to find out what it will take to bring the race back home to Penticton when the deal with Whistler expires in two years".

It's a shame that they haven't sorted this out, my full Ironman for next year has already been paid, PE would have got my entry if they hadn't effed it up. And I know several other people who have entered others instead

Cannot see it returning to PE if there are still ongoing negotiations especially with SMME's who just want the money and not do the work or uplift the community with doing the work.

Am too also actively looking at oversea trips for full and half events.

Come join me for Ironman st George [emoji123]. My other overseas option is 70.3 Dubai instead of EL

Currently looking at Bahrain in December and Dubai is a most likely having done EL the last 4 years.  Just waiting for Dubai to confirm the dates as it is still TBC

Will save St Georges until 2020 if I manage to qualify for World Champs  :ph34r:

Cannot see it returning to PE if there are still ongoing negotiations especially with SMME's who just want the money and not do the work or uplift the community with doing the work.

Am too also actively looking at oversea trips for full and half events.

I hope they move it to Cape Town, just not sure how I feel about swimming with Great White Sharks.

Edited by _David_

Shame as PE is a great location for it. Guess Durban would also be cool.

But PE is ideal.

Greedy mofos