Attempted ' Bike Jacking ' - Joostenberg Vlakte '

donalds

2 cyclists attacked by 3 knife wielding youths on the Waarburgh rd - goes past the old Tygerberg Zoo on Sat morning 5 May. Phone, money and bike accessories stolen. Thanks to farmer Gert Cloete and guys who assisted and chased down the youths our bikes were retrieved. Cyclists - be extra vigilant when cycling this road.

A horrible experience with a positive ending. Great to read! Hope the youths were dealt with.

Glad you guys are okay. What time did this happe? Was this the area between Joostenberg and the Engen as that stretch always makes me uneasy

Why do you call it an attempted bike jacking when it actually happened.

I am so gatvol of all the crime in society now - WHY is it happening.

It is not safe anywhere anymore.

Glad you were not injured

Sterkte !!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the well wishers -was about 10h30 Sat morning - 5 May. We called it Attempred bikejacking because we fortunately got our bikes back. The Waarburgh road is opposite the gravel rd - Hoopenberg  -( runs past the Pink Geranium nursery.) The Neighbourhood watch have requested additional police patrols on the road. We have cycled that road for years as good link from Durbanville to the farm roads towards Paarl, Klapmuts and Eenzaamheid farm and never had a problem. Always be vigilant wherever you ride. It was terrifying being held on the ground with a knife at ones head.

There was a similar incident close to CopperLeaf Estate also on Saturday. A couple were held up and their bikes and cellphones stolen. Fortunately a cycling group came past and while some stayed to assist the couple others gave chase. The bikes and a bag containing the cell phones were recovered. Unfortunately the perpetrators were not apprehended. Big up to all those who assisted.  

Thanks for the well wishers -was about 10h30 Sat morning - 5 May. We called it Attempred bikejacking because we fortunately got our bikes back. The Waarburgh road is opposite the gravel rd - Hoopenberg  -( runs past the Pink Geranium nursery.) The Neighbourhood watch have requested additional police patrols on the road. We have cycled that road for years as good link from Durbanville to the farm roads towards Paarl, Klapmuts and Eenzaamheid farm and never had a problem. Always be vigilant wherever you ride. It was terrifying being held on the ground with a knife at ones head.

Thanks for the info, glad you are ok.

Often cycle that road. Think there was another attempted bikejacking there a few months back. Very frustrating because as you mention it is a nice link to the farm roads on the Joostenbergvlakte/Paarl area

This is not good news at all.

Also train on those roads quite often as part of my endurance training. Luckily never alone, normally about three guys, but I think I need to include my CZ on these rides too.

This is not good news at all.

Also train on those roads quite often as part of my endurance training. Luckily never alone, normally about three guys, but I think I need to include my CZ on these rides too.

If you do, please ensure you are able to quickly draw and present and it not being taken away to be used on you. In a confrontation reduced to 6 paces it nearly becomes impossible to do that quickly.

donalds, if you can give us the modus operandi of these perps, it will give the rest of us an indication of what to look out for.

Archived