Karoo to Coast

Marichen

Checking the PPA seeings. The beta on this one is 1.17 up 0.01 from last years 1.16. Makes no sense. 

I wonder if they only consider the winner's time to make that calculation? This year's winner was only 6 mins slower than last year.

Why is there a 45 point seeding penalty for this year's K2C? That doesn't make sense.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking the PPA seeings. The beta on this one is 1.17 up 0.01 from last years 1.16. Makes no sense.

Well that explains why my time was so pathetic last year too. Not!

Just comparing times across years with friends (some of whom are a lot stronger now) shows a big difference. Or were we all smoking something??

Why is there a 45 point seeding penalty for this year's K2C? That doesn't make sense.

Looks like they got the years reversed - I have an 8 point penalty applied to 2018... shome mishtake shurely?

My dad told me of that one.He said they had lots of chain suck and that was what I dreaded most on this one - and had plenty of it too. Unfortunately he did not ride this one so can't really make a comparison. How cold was it in 2005?

2005 for me was more wet than cold. We started in the rain and finished in the rain but it was not as cold as this year. My bike was properly broken after that race. Bike shop made a killing!

Watch Toyoto Cadence tonight for the K2C 2019

i'm affraid we'll only see the nice things and good weather up to 4 hours into the race haha. For the rest of us who slogged it out in armageddon....where there were clearly no more cameramen left anywhere.....nobody will ever know unless they ere there ^_^

• 1 month later...

I See KE also did the ride/race on a gravel bike....... I thought this was not allowed or is it just dopers can do what they want........

So it has all changed, to hell with the safety concerns, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, fishpaste. Gravel bikes are now allowed. WTF changed?

Oh wait, entries were down, now lets not get hung up with safety issues (or what were apparently safety issues), we need more entries so yes Go Gravel Bikes. Lets wait for the Ebiles to also be invited.

Note, I am not against any limitations on what can ride. I am just against duplicity. Why was it an issue last year and not this year?

And as far as Ebikes go, the way W2W dealt with them was awesome and a similar approach should be adopted.

They should have their own class/group until they have enough numbers then they can have their own race.

So it has all changed, to hell with the safety concerns, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, fishpaste. Gravel bikes are now allowed. WTF changed?

Oh wait, entries were down, now lets not get hung up with safety issues (or what were apparently safety issues), we need more entries so yes Go Gravel Bikes. Lets wait for the Ebiles to also be invited.

Note, I am not against any limitations on what can ride. I am just against duplicity. Why was it an issue last year and not this year?

And as far as Ebikes go, the way W2W dealt with them was awesome and a similar approach should be adopted.

They should have their own class/group until they have enough numbers then they can have their own race.

Surely if the real issue with gravelbikes were safety, this years conditions were way more dangerous than last year for them to reverse that decision! I don't buy that reason. It must be because of declining number.

And now that we know safety isn't the real concern, honestly I couldn't care less what you ride for Karoo2Coast, as long as it has two wheels and needs to be pedalled. It's open district roads, it's not like anyone on a different kind of bike is going to hold you up anywhere on the route.

How did they deal with e-bikes at W2W?

I guess if they start K2C at the back it's fine? Don't think any of us wants to see an e-bike cross the finishline in first place, but it literally makes no difference to your race if they start at the back. Maybe you can even wheesuck one of them from Batch G a bit to improve your 07:01 to a 06:59.

Surely if the real issue with gravelbikes were safety, this years conditions were way more dangerous than last year for them to reverse that decision! I don't buy that reason. It must be because of declining number.

And now that we know safety isn't the real concern, honestly I couldn't care less what you ride for Karoo2Coast, as long as it has two wheels and needs to be pedalled. It's open district roads, it's not like anyone on a different kind of bike is going to hold you up anywhere on the route.

How did they deal with e-bikes at W2W?

I guess if they start K2C at the back it's fine? Don't think any of us wants to see an e-bike cross the finishline in first place, but it literally makes no difference to your race if they start at the back. Maybe you can even wheesuck one of them from Batch G a bit to improve your 07:01 to a 06:59.

Us 8h guys don't want them racing past us when we are suffering!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just gonna leave this here.... :whistling:

We listened to your call

New Lions Karoo to Coast Race Category

Experience one of the biggest one-day journey’s in South Africa on your gravel bike.

Yes you heard right, the Lions Karoo to Coast has some exciting news for the gravel lovers. Not only will you be able to enjoy the magnificent journey from the karoo to the coast on your gravel bike, you will have your very own category.

The Lions Karoo to Coast welcomes the new twist to the riding dynamic. We are excited to see how this category unfolds. Get your buddies together and join the gravel fun!

• 2 weeks later...

that's not "listening to your call"... it's their attempt to silence the many critics after I for one emailed them after the race saying the entry is very specific about gravel bikes yet we see so many pictures of them posted on THEIR social media accounts depicting some poephol on a gravelbike. I know of a couple of peeps that wanted to do it on gravel bikes but were told it won't be allowed.

hypocrites much Race Organisers????

Just gonna leave this here.... :whistling:

We listened to your call

New Lions Karoo to Coast Race Category

Experience one of the biggest one-day journey’s in South Africa on your gravel bike.

Yes you heard right, the Lions Karoo to Coast has some exciting news for the gravel lovers. Not only will you be able to enjoy the magnificent journey from the karoo to the coast on your gravel bike, you will have your very own category.

The Lions Karoo to Coast welcomes the new twist to the riding dynamic. We are excited to see how this category unfolds. Get your buddies together and join the gravel fun!