Knee Guards

Anine

Im still looking for knee pads, but finding shops that stock different brands in JHB is proving to be difficult. Ive been down the online purchase once and they didnt fit so i am hesitant to buy without trying.

Any suggestions where to go to try on in gauteng area, will travel to PTA if i need to.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bike addict advertise items they don't have in stock. Annoying!

im in same situation, need knee pads as my knees are taking a battering.

Bike addicts seem best priced

Can vouch for the AirFlex pro 2020 model, the previous got quite bad reviews about the stretching after a while and falling down instead of protecting your knees. I'm happy with the 2020 model, even though its early days. Dont even have to drop it to my ankels when climbing, infact at this stage its so comfortable, hardly notice its there.

Bought a pair just because...shipping is at a flate rate of also about R150, but show me any pads at R300 

I had the Gforms for about 2yrs and they were absolutely great - hardly felt them even in the scorching Boland summers and had many a fall back then and they took a battering and always protected against any cuts and absorbed a decent amount of impact.

Got a pair of Ion K-Traze Amp Zips and had to return the first pair as it was faulty. I keep them strapped on the top tube and put them on at the top of the trail and remove on the tar again riding back home. That is great and especially if you want to stop for a drink post ride and not take your shoes off to remove pads or if shins are super muddy after wet rides.

They are actually comfortable for long rides as I have put them on under long pants during the winter riding from home, but not at all as comfy as the Gforms were.

They were a bit pricey and I have to admit, great design, but I'm not sure they will last as long as the Gforms, they seem to take the most strain by just wearing, not even falling. Only had one tumble since I got them and they obv do provide more protection than the Gforms. Definitely worth a try.

They are not the bulkier enduro specific ones and offer decent protection for the slimmer design.

Brand Stable in Blouberg is a great place to get them.

Bought a pair just because...shipping is at a flate rate of also about R150, but show me any pads at R300

I had the Gforms for about 2yrs and they were absolutely great - hardly felt them even in the scorching Boland summers and had many a fall back then and they took a battering and always protected against any cuts and absorbed a decent amount of impact.

Got a pair of Ion K-Traze Amp Zips and had to return the first pair as it was faulty. I keep them strapped on the top tube and put them on at the top of the trail and remove on the tar again riding back home. That is great and especially if you want to stop for a drink post ride and not take your shoes off to remove pads or if shins are super muddy after wet rides.

They are actually comfortable for long rides as I have put them on under long pants during the winter riding from home, but not at all as comfy as the Gforms were.

They were a bit pricey and I have to admit, great design, but I'm not sure they will last as long as the Gforms, they seem to take the most strain by just wearing, not even falling. Only had one tumble since I got them and they obv do provide more protection than the Gforms. Definitely worth a try.

They are not the bulkier enduro specific ones and offer decent protection for the slimmer design.

I was looking at the ION ones and now I’m not so sure anymore. Recently purchased a pair of POC for my fiancé and they look incredibly well made.

Might just have to go the same route for myself. Out of stock in my size pretty much everywhere.

I was looking at the ION ones and now I’m not so sure anymore. Recently purchased a pair of POC for my fiancé and they look incredibly well made.

Might just have to go the same route for myself. Out of stock in my size pretty much everywhere.

The ones that just zip off? I've got a pair of the ION ones and I'll never be able to wear normal kneepads again. The zip does dig in to my fat ass calves a bit but they are amazing.

The ones that just zip off? I've got a pair of the ION ones and I'll never be able to wear normal kneepads again. The zip does dig in to my fat ass calves a bit but they are amazing.

You are pretty much the only person on this forum that I trust when it comes to this  :clap:

Good to know. 

Got a pair of Ion K-Traze Amp Zips and had to return the first pair as it was faulty. I keep them strapped on the top tube and put them on at the top of the trail and remove on the tar again riding back home. That is great and especially if you want to stop for a drink post ride and not take your shoes off to remove pads or if shins are super muddy after wet rides.

you could of used the pickup in store function, then they send it to your nearest LBS.

you could of used the pickup in store function, then they send it to your nearest LBS.

Aish, I didn't see that as an option. Only had to pick a store close to me if their would be any issues going forward.

Was a bit of a rush buy...must've missed it

Apart from the pad, the biggest issue with pads is how well they stay in place in a fall. Fit materials and design are very important here. The Ions are about the best Ive seen in that department.

Apart from the pad, the biggest issue with pads is how well they stay in place in a fall. Fit materials and design are very important here. The Ions are about the best Ive seen in that department.

That is true ! They barely move when making impact 

My search continues and to be honest getting very frustrating.

Coming from the free state means I have legs used to anchor ourselves in the August winds that rage through the platteland. I need an XL.

ION’s idea of an XL is someone that skips leg day about 6 days a week.

Leatt is too bulky and based on my previous interactions with them won’t see my money again.

Fox Enduro sleeve is like a leg warmer that keeps sliding down.

POC is out of stock and their local distributor has changed so no idea of new stock until October.

Dakine looked great, ordered, and.... sorry sir but our supplier is out of stock. Your website showed two pairs available.

Now what... any other recommendations?

My search continues and to be honest getting very frustrating.

Coming from the free state means I have legs used to anchor ourselves in the August winds that rage through the platteland. I need an XL.

ION’s idea of an XL is someone that skips leg day about 6 days a week.

Leatt is too bulky and based on my previous interactions with them won’t see my money again.

Fox Enduro sleeve is like a leg warmer that keeps sliding down.

POC is out of stock and their local distributor has changed so no idea of new stock until October.

Dakine looked great, ordered, and.... sorry sir but our supplier is out of stock. Your website showed two pairs available.

Now what... any other recommendations?

I have a pair of 661 Knee pads which have been going for a while. The fit is 'generous' and they have saved me a couple of times.

I don't wear them as often as I should but when I do I don't notice them.

I can recommend them..... I am pretty sure my model were discontinued years ago but I don't see 661 on your list and they have done the job for me.

I have a pair of 661 Knee pads which have been going for a while. The fit is 'generous' and they have saved me a couple of times.

I don't wear them as often as I should but when I do I don't notice them.

I can recommend them..... I am pretty sure my model were discontinued years ago but I don't see 661 on your list and they have done the job for me.

Can't find anything online in SA anymore other than a couple of Recon Knee Pads from 2017. I don't like the sleeve style. Needs to have a strap at the top so I can cut circulation to my feet while trying my best to not have them slide down.