Transition vs Santacruz

Primer

Hi Guys, 

I need some advise please. I currently have a SC 5010 but I want something with a bit more travel.

The options are 2018 transition patrol or a Santacruz Bronson

What do you guys think would be a better option, the SC is more pricey than the patrol, but what will the ride difference be as I have never ridden a patrol or Bronson

Your input is welsome

You cant go wrong with either. Both brilliant.  Like saying should i get a Lambo or a Ferrari.

Personal Preference.  Either way you getting a great bike.  Im sure the Web has plenty reviews on both

You won't find many people who have ridden both so the responses are going to be based on brand preference which really is meaningless. I don't know what backup service for Transition is like in SA so definitely worth double checking (I genuinely have no idea so not even hinting that it's bad).

Try and find them to test ride if at all possible or pick the one that looks best to you - unless you're trying to win something you are unlikely to notice a difference in "ride quality" if kitted out with the same suspension, groupset etc.

Hit up Stoke Suspension in Cape Town they are the local re-sellers for Transition and Dirt Merchant in JHB brings them in. Only ever had good dealings with both these guys.

Tranny > SC ... because you're riding a Tranny!

Tranny carbon or alu that you're considering...And then OFC price is going to be a rather large factor.

But yeah you're gonna struggle to find peeps who've ridden both.

I've heard via a friend (very good enduro rider) that the new Bronson is very twitchy compared to the old one (he had the previous gen).  
My vote goes to the Tranny

I'd say it depends on what you want from the bike...

The Patrol has more up to date geo than the Bronson but might be a bit heavy. 

Test ride both if you can but get the Tranny (don't listen to me I'm being biased).

I had a 2016 Carbon Patrol for a while & a close riding friend has upgraded from a 5010 to the Bronson & I've ridden those quite a lot as we are the same size & swap bikes when riding. I would say the Transition Scout is in line with the 5010. 

My advice would be get test rides on both. I do not know what the demo availability for the SC is but Dirt Merchant are usually great for getting a demo bike down to Stoke Suspension in CT for WC based riders (& their customer support are very good). Are you planning on buying new or used because the 2018 Transitions have the SBG geometry & you need an offset fork as well if you are buying frame only. 

There are alot of reviews on both that are better explaining the unique differences on each bike than me. Both are very top shelf bikes & you will be very happy with either but both are quite different IMHO. I found the Patrol to be a long, slack, stable enduro type bike that you can pedal really. The Giddy Up suspension is very plush & well designed. It's a beast of a bike but in a good way that you can just swallow up rocky trails & still ride it all day. It asks to get you in to situations & then gets you out the other side, then asks you to go do it again, only faster. The SC I found to be more extreme trail / enduro & like a high class sports car but I also found it quite detached & didn't like the VVP suspension over the other kinds on offer. A lot of people love them & the VVP V3 that is supposed to be the best version so that would be the reason you should get demos & ride them on the same track over & over because I found you don't get all the main differences right away. Make sure you have some slower, flatter parts in your loop as they both are very different when cruising. The SC is more lively to a degree but that is a relative comment when comparing these types of bikes both encourage you to take off & go full speed & make your lines but in slightly different ways. The Patrol is very stable but not in a boring way. The SC might be the more all around choice but I think that you'd have to work hard in SA to the limits of either of them. At high speed I found I wasn't as happy on the SC. 

To quote a recent review I read online "if both were invited to a party the SC would turn up on time, well dressed with a supermodel on his arm & a bottle champagne & gin for the host then be witty, charming & adored by all. The Transition will arrive with a keg & a girl on each arm an hour late because he'd been doing shots with strippers, kick down the door, tap the keg, pour out the tequila & get the party started"

Have you thought of the Evil The Insurgent ? I think that would also be on my list. That looks to be a perfect mix for the full scope of SA trails. I have not ridden it before but Trailtech are very helpful maybe able to arrange a test. 

Edited by Yo-yo

I'd say it depends on what you want from the bike...

The Patrol has more up to date geo than the Bronson but might be a bit heavy. 

Test ride both if you can but get the Tranny (don't listen to me I'm being biased).

I've got a 2018 patrol, and it is heavy in comparison to other bikes. I think my build is 15kg+, but I don't feel the weight while riding and the geometry is spot-on.

Thanks for all the comments.

My only reservation I have on the patrol is that I would have to purchase a new fork as my current fork can't be adjusted to 170mm. I'm also a little worried about the weight of the bike when built up.

@inchusa I'm 1.86 meters tall.

just my opinion... I have a SC 5010 and have ridden (and was tempted to swap) with a bronson one more than one occasion.  Every time I ride a Bronson, I don't quite feel it, so I stick with the 5010.

What I have done, is to put a dual position pike 130/160mm upfront.  This increases the front travel to the same level as the Bronson  when you need it and it slackens the head angle quite a bit.  On high volume tyres this thing is just as capable as a bronson and i personally prefer the ride and the geometry of the 5010.

edit:  OK i'm biased because I LOVE the 5010 and I've never ridden a transition so can't comment on that, but i'm yet to find a bike that handles as well as the 5010...  I'd be interested to know what terrain you ride and under which circumstances you feel the 5010 to be inadequate...

Edited by rudi-h