Light weight road tubes, worth it or not?

Guy du S

I have used my bike 2 consecutive days without pumping tyres - maybe lost 1/2 bar... It is really not that much but obviously for peak marginal gains  :P  you will make sure your pressures are just slightly over prime so you finish possibly just a tiny amount under prime. thus maximizing the effect. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been using Latex tubes for some time now and as long as you remember to pump them before your ride, they have lasted as well as heavy-duty Conti ones.

I have however forgotten to pump them and received a snake bite for my trouble. I now use a digital gauge.

If anyone is placing a CRC (or equivalent) order, I am willing to join and get some more. 

I run my tyres at 80psi (5.5barG) and lose about 0.5barG over 24hrs. This is not an issue for the superior ride feel and grip. all the best tubbies use latex tubes

I have been using Latex tubes for some time now and as long as you remember to pump them before your ride, they have lasted as well as heavy-duty Conti ones.

I have however forgotten to pump them and received a snake bite for my trouble. I now use a digital gauge.

If anyone is placing a CRC (or equivalent) order, I am willing to join and get some more. 

I'm thinking of placing an order, I'm leaning towards latex after the last few posts...

Any suggestions which ones to go for?

Also keen to join an order - let me know. Thinking of getting some latex tubes for my race wheels.

I'm thinking of placing an order, I'm leaning towards latex after the last few posts...

Any suggestions which ones to go for?

I have the Michelin A1 AirComp and they ok - needed the 60mm valves although not removable.

The Vittoria and Challenge are nice due to removable valve core - can use extensions with built in valves on deep section wheels if the valves are too short - just make sure they don't leak there.

Only problem is all the latex tubes have to be bought on line from CRC.

Oh and don't ever inflate a latex tube without it being fitted to a tyre. It will balloon at a weak spot and then its toast.

+1 to all the latex tube suggestions, I've gone thousands of kilometers between punctures.

For me it's more about the supple ride feel that latex provides over butyl than the weight savings.

Just a note of caution, many carbon rim manufacturers don't recommend using latex with carbon brake surfaces. Due to their sensitivity to heat they can burst if they get too hot under intense braking. I'm 56kg and don't sit on my brakes during long descents (not that I live in the Alps anyway) so I've thrown caution to the wind on that one.

Personally I use the Vittoria ones from CRC but after all the hassles they're having with shipping I'll get them elsewhere when my stockpile runs out

I found this article for an interesting result. 

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/schwalbe-one-tubeless-clincher

I like the scientific way they approach the testing, and their results agree with the general sentiment of the posts in this thread. 

I will be ordering a few Latex Tubes, a couple for me and some extras for anyone interested. I'll post here and in the classifieds when they arrive.

lets not forget the additional weight of the tube is rotational.

thus loosing weight on the outside of the wheel has a double effect, less weight to have to spin up

I would be interested in getting a few tubes - how much would it cost per tube?

I'll have to see once they have landed and I've paid the vat and import duties.

• 4 weeks later...

I have bought some Michelin Air Comp Latex tubes. Looking forward to trying them. I'll post feedback on how they ride...

I bought a few extras if anyone wants any @ R160 each.

They are 700 x 22-23c with 60 mm Valves.

• 2 weeks later...

I eventually fitted my new latex tubes yesterday. I haven't cycled on them yet. I had to be super cautious not to pinch them, especially with the new tyres I installed with them. I hope they live up to their puncture resistance reputation because I wouldn't like to have to change one on the side of the road. I'm thinking I'll keep a Butyl tube for a spare... 

I noted that the foldable Conti GP4000SIIs did not recommend use with Latex Tubes. I have installed them anyway and will hope that they hold out... any ideas why this is?

I still have a few extra Michelin Air Comp Latex Tubes with 60mm Presta valves available if anyone one want some. 

Conti recommend their own tubes. They don't make latex tubes for clincher tyres anylonger.

Been using latex with gp4000s II for 5years. 1puncture in that time and it deflated slowly

• 2 weeks later...

I had a concern about a 23mm tube to be fitted in a 25mm tyre. The max size for the Michelin Latex tubes is 23mm yet there seems to be a move towards wider tyres and I am running a 25mm tyre on my rear wheel.

I did a little research and found that some people actually recommend using the slightly narrower tubes compared to the tyre size. https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119073

Any advice or experience in this regard?

Archived