To the young lady in the white Ford Figo...

MudLark

I would have to disagree with the underlined as this is not observed nor proven to be statistically correct. Where I do see cyclists jumping red lights or stop streets is when there is a T-Junction and approaching the T with a Right turn or Continue Straight the only possibility. And even then very very few will continue through the intersection without looking of observing some self preservation tactic.

However by observation many motorists jump red light and stop streets without showing any caution. The consequences for other road users is far more dire if the motorist who jumps the red lights causes an accident.

Perhaps you find the gun analogy silly, that's fine as there are plenty more that fit the bill and get the point across.

We can also argue that claiming that cyclists who jump red lights cause motorists to want to kill them. I guess you would agree with the erroneous sentiment that girls who wear short dresses are looking to get raped too.....?

Yeah maybe its silly but the pattern of thinking is the same in the motoring and rape scenarios.

I guess this the part where the "don't be so dramatic ....yada yada gets thrown in".

All this talk about the social contract. Fantastic words which really means nothing when cyclists can't even stand together and lobby for a cause that benefits all cyclists......the irony.

We have a 1m passing law in the Western Cape and when a cyclist gets hit the first question that gets asked by other cyclists is : " did he jump a red light,/ Was he riding in the middle of the road / insert your favourite cyclists blame question."

Seems that most of these cyclists are just motorists at heart and therefore the default position is always the motorist must be right.

Where does fixing the social contract then start?

Yesterday you knew more about Denmark and the Danish way of life than I do despite me having lived here for 2 years.

Today I probably support the raping girls.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday you knew more about Denmark and the Danish way of life than I do despite me having lived here for 2 years.

giphy.gif

Change of topic on these gif / memes, do you have a stash of them and then just wait for a situation to use them?  Or when something happens you do a quick Google search for one that might fit?

What I take from this we cannot pretend to do the ostrich approach and pretend all cyclist are angels, admit it but hope we will correct them and deal with them.  

I take responsibility for my own actions, and try and be a positive example to those around me

Edited by LeoKnight

What I take from this we cannot pretend to do the ostrich approach and pretend all cyclist are angels, admit it but hope we will correct them and deal with them.  

I take responsibility for my own actions, and try and be a positive example to those around me

I kind of miss Carbon and his "don't victim blame" tantrums when people suggest that cyclists take some responsibility.

Change of topic on these gif / memes, do you have a stash of them and then just wait for a situation to use them?  Or when something happens you do a quick Google search for one that might fit?

The dank arts of internet memes are powerful tools against the uninitiated. It comes with years of tutelage under a Grand Master. Perhaps one day you too could wield the power of the GIF. 

The dank arts of internet memes are powerful tools against the uninitiated. It comes with years of tutelage under a Grand Master. Perhaps one day you too could wield the power of the GIF. 

First lesson.. is it a hard G or soft G? 

Oh, by the way, Eldron. Who are these "raping girls" and why do they have your alleged support? 

Amsterdam 3 yrs

Copenhagen 6months

Swansea 2yrs

Richmond, Ca 18months

Do I know more about the Danes than you? I never said that. I said they're just normal people. Judging by the amount of back stabbing going on in the office there, how many times neighbours complained about neighbours (being am Expat they figured I was some kind of therapist )

By all means, teach the cyclists to teach the motorists. I see that happening in SA with zero effect.

... who drove aggressively at me and nearly flattened me at 1:30 pm/1:31 pm today at the circle at the intersection of Westcliff Drive and Tyrone Avenue (Westcliff, Johannesburg):

A bit of courtesy and letting me get through the intersection would have cost you nothing - maybe 2 or 3 seconds of your time at most. Instead you decided you'd rather drive at me and place me at risk. Lekka, I hope it gave you a thrill and made you feel heroic.

Technically you don't have a right on the road.

The bottom line is that Cyclists are vulnerable road users and have full right of way (especially when they follow the rules) and motorists should avoid putting other road users the cyclist at risk (when they are impatient and taking their frustration out on fellow road users).. .

fixed it ;-)

The bottom line is that Cyclists are vulnerable road users and have full the same right of way as other road users and motorists should avoid putting the cyclist at risk.. .mowing down a cyclist that swerves dangerously in front of traffic, with no regard for his own safety nor that of other road users

yet another interpretation ....

PS - had to laugh at another MOTORIST today .... totally impatient at another motorist, and getting into a fit of rage for NO logical reason !!  Clearly some motorists are stressed to breaking point by the time they get behind the wheel ..... jokes aside, any cyclist p!ssing off that lady would have gotten driven over !   In fact she actually tried to drive over another car ... unsuccessfully ... and carried on waving her arms for the next couple of kilometers !

in all seriousness - metal is harder than flesh .... PLEASE fellow cyclists, forget about right and wrong, ride to stay alive !  Hospital food dont taste any nicer if you were "right" ...

yet another interpretation ....

PS - had to laugh at another MOTORIST today .... totally impatient at another motorist, and getting into a fit of rage for NO logical reason !! Clearly some motorists are stressed to breaking point by the time they get behind the wheel ..... jokes aside, any cyclist p!ssing off that lady would have gotten driven over ! In fact she actually tried to drive over another car ... unsuccessfully ... and carried on waving her arms for the next couple of kilometers !

in all seriousness - metal is harder than flesh .... PLEASE fellow cyclists, forget about right and wrong, ride to stay alive ! Hospital food dont taste any nicer if you were "right" ...

I am not sure how much you commute but today I would probably not be here if I did not take the full lane. The twat wanted to try pass with another car oncoming and a car pulling out of side street. If I had let the car attempt to pass me he would have ran out of road and probably hit me.

All that happened today was he hooted I said thanks and carried on away while he sat in bumper to bumper traffic.

Inconsiderate drivers causing all the congestion in Claremont!!! They should stick to the N2 and N7!!!!!!!