Upgrading Fork FOX/MRP

New2ride2015

Ok cheers for the heads up will look at the above. Also if you know where to look for these wheels? Chain reaction, Jenson USA, usually look on them not sure round Cape Town

Kore - Stoke. 

WTB - CRC or local, probably through stoke as well. 

Lyne - Online. They're local and are just R 4,999 for complete wheelset atm. Bargain. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kore - Stoke. 

WTB - CRC or local, probably through stoke as well. 

Lyne - Online. They're local and are just R 4,999 for complete wheelset atm. Bargain. 

Yep, we've got the i29s and one set of 27mm Kores left. We can also get hold of the Lyne rims if you're up for a custom build with them.

Yep, we've got the i29s and one set of 27mm Kores left. We can also get hold of the Lyne rims if you're up for a custom build with them.

Any non boost, 29'er sets going and rough price (or a real price)? :)

Any non boost, 29'er sets going and rough price (or a real price)? :)

Any wheelbuilding stock we have is in pieces until you order, so we've pretty much got every configuration you can think of.

Rough pricing you'd be looking at around R 8 500 for i29 on Hope Pro 4 or DT 350.

Before you decide on a fork, hear me out.

I also have a '16 Trance 2.

I put a Dual air Pike on it. Comes off someone's Reign. 150-160mm.

At 160mm travel the bike doesn't pedal very well, and climbs are a las. The nose is just too high. But at 150mm, the bike is lekker all day and every day. (I moved jy destyds forward a bit.)

At 160mm the bike is lekker on rowdy descents and eats up whatever I can throw at it. So I use it at places like Helderberg, and the Contermans main line, but for the Firehut trail and other flow trails, I just leave it at 150mm.

So in short, rather get a 150mm fork. That is the sweetspot for the Trance. At 160mm the Trance is a monster truck. Monster trucks are crap in traffic.

At 160mm travel the bike doesn't pedal very well, and climbs are a las. The nose is just too high. But at 150mm, the bike is lekker all day and every day. (I moved jy destyds forward a bit.)

At 160mm the bike is lekker on rowdy descents and eats up whatever I can throw at it. So I use it at places like Helderberg, and the Contermans main line, but for the Firehut trail and other flow trails, I just leave it at 150mm.

So in short, rather get a 150mm fork. That is the sweetspot for the Trance. At 160mm the Trance is a monster truck. Monster trucks are crap in traffic.

Ah epic thanks for the info! Did a mellow xc ride with the trance with a mate over the weekend from Tokai Kirstenbosch way and back and with a DHF/AGGRESSOR and not much riding lately it dragged a bit as is. Even though I'd ideally like to get a bike for xc stuff one day for the time being using the Trance. In which case your comment makes sense for sure,. Not going fox 36 or lyric then will decide between MRP Ribbon or Mattoc pro 2. I think both of them can be switched between 140-150-160 pretty easily. Want to be able to fly down with a bit more confident fork but don't want to drag it round all day just for that. 

Thanks again 

Good advice. Just keep axle to crown heights in mind as well. Not sure on these, butfor quite some time RS had 10mm on Fox, meaning a 160mm RS would have the same height as a 150mm Fox

Good advice. Just keep axle to crown heights in mind as well. Not sure on these, butfor quite some time RS had 10mm on Fox, meaning a 160mm RS would have the same height as a 150mm Fox

Hectic didn't know that thanks. So if PhilipV has a 160 RS and found it a las for more chilled trails but enjoyed the 150 RS for (dropped) for flow trails and all day riding... If I got a FOX 36 160 my front end would be the same height as his at 150 obv with that extra travel? Or would the head tube angle still differ making the 160 feel slacker slightly. 

Perhaps just confusing myself haha 

I will most probably go with a fork I can change either way

Edited by New2ride2015

Hectic didn't know that thanks. So if PhilipV has a 160 RS and found it a las for more chilled trails but enjoyed the 150 RS for (dropped) for flow trails and all day riding... If I got a FOX 36 160 my front end would be the same height as his at 150 obv with that extra travel? Or would the head tube angle still differ making the 160 feel slacker slightly.

Perhaps just confusing myself haha

I will most probably go with a fork I can change either way

Other way around. The Fox is longer for the same amount of travel. I measured it, at 150mm my RS Pike has very close to the same axle to crown length as the 140mm Fox32 that it came with. (The RS about 4mm longer at 150mm, but there may be some measurement error.)

So a 150mm RS leaves the geometry very similar to what you have. A 160mm fox will raise the front end about 20mm more, and I don't think it will be a lekker All-day-every-day bike then. Very lekker for steep bits, but it feels like you are sitting behind the back wheel when pedalling uphill. So scratch that fox36 idea.

Other way around. The Fox is longer for the same amount of travel. I measured it, at 150mm my RS Pike has very close to the same axle to crown length as the 140mm Fox32 that it came with. (The RS about 4mm longer at 150mm, but there may be some measurement error.)

So a 150mm RS leaves the geometry very similar to what you have. A 160mm fox will raise the front end about 20mm more, and I don't think it will be a lekker All-day-every-day bike then. Very lekker for steep bits, but it feels like you are sitting behind the back wheel when pedalling uphill. So scratch that fox36 idea.

Ok yea I get you. Wont be much fun stuck at 160 for sure. Wish it had a slightly steeper STA but yea thats a different story. Cheers for the advice! 

Look at this thread coming to a peaceful close long before Friday?! who would have thunk it?!

My 2c as a total bike moron, is not to mess with things too much if you actually care how it will climb/descend. 

A 140mm bike will climb worse with a 160mm fork but descent better. A 100mm bike will simalarly feel rubbish with an 80mm fork just to 'make it climb better'.... 

If you want a trail descender eater, go with more travel and more forgiveness... If you want to climb like a boss go with an XC bike.

Trying to find a sweet spot inbetween is like looking for a fiance who has tight morals, will never cheat on you but also wants Chasey Lane to come home with you after a phuza Thursday at 20:35 to do nasty things to both of you with zero comeuppance.... probably not going to happen

Look at this thread coming to a peaceful close long before Friday?! who would have thunk it?!

My 2c as a total bike moron, is not to mess with things too much if you actually care how it will climb/descend. 

A 140mm bike will climb worse with a 160mm fork but descent better. A 100mm bike will simalarly feel rubbish with an 80mm fork just to 'make it climb better'.... 

If you want a trail descender eater, go with more travel and more forgiveness... If you want to climb like a boss go with an XC bike.

Trying to find a sweet spot inbetween is like looking for a fiance who has tight morals, will never cheat on you but also wants Chasey Lane to come home with you after a phuza Thursday at 20:35 to do nasty things to both of you with zero comeuppance.... probably not going to happen

Yea was thinking that based on the newer Trances coming with only 150 stock that thats probably the happy medium for them if focused on a bit of a "do it all" bike. The start of one of my older threads that led to this was "Is the Ibis HD4 too much bike" was thinking of in the next year upgrading and selling the trance off eventually building up a more XC orientated hardtail or something. Keep getting stuck trying to find a balance as I stay southern suburbs side and ride this side more often than Stellies, Durbanville... If I had a bike for the mellow trails I would have probably sold the trance for a 160mm stock ride. All the input helps as I have not come close to making a solid decision. Last paragraph was a good laugh cheers 

What about about the Fox Talas range? They adjust between two positions in the fly in 20mm increments so you could have it set at 140/160 or 130/150 and adjust to either at the flick a switch.

I had a 140mm/32 on my trance and when I changed it to a 150mm/34 that was a significant difference the biggest was going from a 32 to a 34 stantion which seriously reduces the flex you would get on rowdy trails. Perhaps going 160 on the trace is overkill but hey I run a 170mm stage on my reign and climb just about everything... Also if you can chat to droo about his stage that he has, have the damper upgrade done... basically makes it a ribbon air for a lot less moola! Mrp for the win! Best service and you'll never meet a more genuine person than Brenton from Trail tech or otherwise known as Bibi here in hubland. Oh and mrp have the longest service intervals literally double that of the other big brands.

Check out the DVO Beryl and Diamond as well. The Diamond is their flagship, but both have plenty of adjustability.

I've also got a used MRP Stage knocking around as a lower priced option.

Chat to this guy, also comes highly recommended by Brenton.