To hell and back

Man with no name

Looking at the prices for the event that just passed.

R2 100 for the event only (including a t-shirt). A reasonable R400 more for tent and 3 meal.

Am I the only one who thinks the base fee of R2 100 is hefty for two days of riding? That's a little over R1 000 per day just to take part in the riding.

I understand it's a special ride, which is why I really want to do it, but at that price... eish naai man!

Why not ride it on your own then, self supported. As far as I know it’s open to the public?

If you see where the organizers have to get the race village to and out again (to Hell and Back) you will think it is a bargain. Include paramedics, medical tent, possible airlifting of casualties, food, personnel, tents, mattresses, PA system, braai wood, beer.....the list goes on. There is a reason the road sign warns that the 30-something kilometres into Hell takes 2 hours, that's driving a car!

Edit: And ICE, in Hell! Pay it with a smile! :lol:

post-17716-0-77571400-1542474901.jpg

Edited by DJR

Why not ride it on your own then, self supported. As far as I know it’s open to the public?

Agreed! It is an ideal ride to do on your own or with a few mates. Book a cottage with Cape Nature, sleep over and ride out the next day. The cottage will cost a bit, but the camping is very cheap. 

Agreed! It is an ideal ride to do on your own or with a few mates. Book a cottage with Cape Nature, sleep over and ride out the next day. The cottage will cost a bit, but the camping is very cheap.

You cant beat the actual event

R2 100 for the event only (including a t-shirt). A reasonable R400 more for tent and 3 meal.

Am I the only one who thinks the base fee of R2 100 is hefty for two days of riding? That's a little over R1 000 per day just to take part in the riding.

I understand it's a special ride, which is why I really want to do it, but at that price... eish naai man!

I have done it twice

I agree with you. Also feel the event is now overpriced

But..

It sold out months in advance. So clearly you & I are wrong.

Nope. I pay this every year rather than doing the 94.7 wich is on my doorstep. 

THIS IS A SPECIAL RIDE.

If you are purely thinking rands and cents you should only ride Suikerbosrand - it is THE best value for money.

Logistics for this is expensive!

Do it and you will see.

Wines2Wales - R2416 per day

ToHellandBack - R1250 per day

Expensive?? plus you get a Darling Brew at the end of each stage.....  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

There is just no event in the country that can match the vibe in the Hell :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Wines2Wales - R2416 per day

ToHellandBack - R1250 per day

Expensive?? plus you get a Darling Brew at the end of each stage.....  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

There is just no event in the country that can match the vibe in the Hell :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Not exactly comparing apples to apples

Big difference between riding 60km of public roads vs dedicated singletrack not all available to the general public.

This year the price was 40% more expensive for the no accomodation & no food option compared to 3 years ago.

Clearly most people still consider it good value for money but imo not quite the no-brainer decision to enter it was the first 2 times I did it.

Still think it is one of the better event around, might just do it again in future if the price doesn't keep ballooning. 

we had our mates Bachelors in "DIE HEL"

what a ride, what a vibe.... this race is priceless.

day 2 YOH, 40km and 1850m climbing

going back next year for sure.

The poor man had a bit of a tyre-some bachelors.... :D