Football

IceCreamMan

I’d say that it’s slightly more complicated than that...

If your theory were true, then Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Manchester United and City would be guaranteed CL success. Clearly that not the case.

Also, the Super League theory is mostly based on sour grapes and the fact that the lesser-known/supported/successful teams are disruptive to the status quo of so-called “big clubs”, or rather, financially better off clubs.

The Super League cannot compete with the current format of the Champions League’s success and following.

No guarantees in sport, we all know that. Ask Leicester. 

However, lets pick this apart, what defines success? The clubs you point out certainly have enjoyed success in it and are richly rewarded just  for making the group stages, then cascades up for each stage after that. More money, more resources, and by resources we talking more than just players which to a certain extent is curbed by fair play but more resources, better kit, better academy facilities , better transport, better everything. Also the rules of fair play dictate a certain amount of money you sell players for HAS to be re ploughed into more players, now consider that players playing at that level have a lot more exposure, their inherent value goes up meaning …. you get the picture. 

No sour grapes, I love being a saints supporter and languishing in the lower leagues on the brink of bankruptcy did not stop me, but it took money and a wealthy owner to get back into the premiership and with the limited resources at our disposal (limited in context to the top 4 ) means we can never realistically compete and certainly not have the level of depth the top clubs have. As an example looking at the bench of the top teams (possible exception of Spurs) ,that would be the first team in the south of England for any of the coastal clubs. 

Sanchez earns 409k a week if my memory serves, I am fairly sure the entire Saints first 11 get around that. 

how is that sour grapes, merely fact. 

As to super league vs premiership. I agree, of course the PL inspires local rivalry, its a great product and from a financial point of view a great deal. But just look at the heyday of Super rugby and how it renewed interest in rugby and became a very marketable product (although is waning now I spose) 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks @Gen...

The reason it’s taking so long for agreement is that clubs are already playing 50-60 games in a season, so something is going to have to be compromised.

Whether it’s less local cup competitions or less Euro Competitions, the bottom line is that it will have to replace some games for it to be feasible.

Think of the impact during a World Cup year.

Anyway, that’s for the powers that be to decide... luckily

The idea makes sense to me.... massive draw cards for fans and TV audience.. so I get that they are looking for different avenues and it is going to be huge financial gains for the clubs too....will be interesting how the idea of a super league forms.. I think something like it is inevitable, how they structure it will be interesting.

any people here know how to watch championship promotion playoffs?

not on DSTV..i see there is a subscription service with LUTV, but I'm guessing streaming sites will have it.

what's the best one for football?

I use http://www.sport365.sx/en/home

So, my mate the faithful spurs supporter tells me that spurs will be opening the stadium for fans to watch in the stadium at 10 quid a head. Guess that’s where I will be watching the final then. Whoop whoop

So much happiness Lecce promoted to Serie A.. back to back promotions

My cousin sent me a lovely video of celebrations in Lecce city centre, so much happiness

[emoji847]2320afc46dc6b88af73b5fe5e100863a.jpg

Oh my hat the city has gone bonkers.. thank goodness for the google translate app else I would never be able to keep up with my cousin's conversation

I really need to learn how to speak Italian properly.[emoji1787]

And celebrations continue..videos streaming in from him as the team bus just came through the city centre.. aaaah football is a beautiful emotion. My cousin will without a doubt be hungover tomorrow hope he doesn't crash his electric commuter bike on his way home

5739de591b7b3c1f29f3c987705da95c.jpg

Edited by Gen

Aaaw Yaya Toure [emoji173][emoji173][emoji173]

I always loved him..

Wowie, City doing it in style.

I even watched the game.... Just to make sure I had some material to rag the Liverpool mates [emoji1787]

Found this information a few hours ago...

Premier League history: First on the final day and not winning the title

Should Liverpool win the 2018-19 title, they will be the first to do so in the Premier League era. City lead by a single point, so to get their hands on the trophy Liverpool will have to become the first team in the history of Europe’s richest domestic club competition to move above the leaders on the final day.

Pre-EPL era: Last time a team was first on the final day and failed to win the title

The last team to start the final day in first place and not win the title were in fact Liverpool in 1989, when Arsenal’s 2-0 win at Anfield clinched the old First Division.

Nice seeing the backroom staff involved in celebrations..

Congrats City..a fantastic team who really entertain, plenty more to come from them if Pep stays.

Found this information a few hours ago...

Premier League history: First on the final day and not winning the title

Should Liverpool win the 2018-19 title, they will be the first to do so in the Premier League era. City lead by a single point, so to get their hands on the trophy Liverpool will have to become the first team in the history of Europe’s richest domestic club competition to move above the leaders on the final day.

Pre-EPL era: Last time a team was first on the final day and failed to win the title

The last team to start the final day in first place and not win the title were in fact Liverpool in 1989, when Arsenal’s 2-0 win at Anfield clinched the old First Division.

I still remember that game

Ole was complaining about the lack of fitness from the players... takes me back to when SAF joined United in 1986 and had to rid the change room of drinkers, and problem players - Gordon Strachan being one of them that had previous played under SAF. He will need to find a way to get the best out of the players, while at the same time show them who's the boss. If he doesn't do that, and the players walk all over him, then he'll be like the other managers that came before him... another sacked manager. But that's for next season, there are two GTs to keep the interest going between now and August.