Football

IceCreamMan

PSG and City just get Qatar pals to pay 1000% of the going rate for naming rights and voilah... Billion dollars in the bank over the 5 years and the clubs bottom line becomes so much more sustainable

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear this case....

But isn’t that just the reason we have such a thing as Fair Play rules in place in the first place?

If there are clubs who are made an example of, then surely the others would have been listening/watching....

In the case of PSG, they did sell quite a few players last season which actually amounted closes to 50% of Mbappe’s fee. And then there is the yet unsubstantiated premise that they were assisted in meeting Neymar’s fee by their kit supplier... as do Juve for CR7 (apparently).

Bottom line is, if found guilty then deal with it

Remember Juve's majority shareholders are the Agnelli family who own FIAT, Ferrari, Crysler, Lancia, Alfa Romero and and and Juve is also a public traded entity (it all ends up falling under 1 company). . The funds for CR7 came from FIAT loan not a kit sponsor as Nike sponsor Ronaldo and Adidas are Juve's kit sponsor...he basically paid for himself within a week on the stock exchange (they had to cap the fund)..the market went loco

... it took a very bloody long time and many free transfers to make his purchase (and wages) work within FFP.. And it is something that prevents Juve just singing at will.

Edited by Gen

Remember Juve's majority shareholders are the Agnelli family who own FIAT, Ferrari, Crysler, Lancia, Alfa Romero and and and Juve is also a public traded entity. . The funds for CR7 came from FIAT loan not a kit sponsor as Nike sponsor Ronaldo and Adidas are Juve's kit sponsor...he basically paid for himself within a week on the stock exchange (they had to cap the fund)..the market went loco

... it took a very bloody long time and many free transfers to make his purchase (and wages) work within FFP.. And it is something that prevents Juve just singing at will.

Well put @Gen.... :thumbs:

But let’s not forget that only one of the Auto companies that you listed, is profitable.

So, all things being equal, it’s not about how the funds are being provided because then your argument will also apply to City and Chelsea... And clearly FIFA are not buying their stories for now.

I still think there’s more to the CR7 buyout that we have been led to believe... But hey, it’s FIFA’s job to judge these things and I am merely observing... Because I can’t be jealous, I’m a Spurs supporter, lol...

Well put @Gen.... :thumbs:

But let’s not forget that only one of the Auto companies that you listed, is profitable.

So, all things being equal, it’s not about how the funds are being provided because then your argument will also apply to City and Chelsea... And clearly FIFA are not buying their stories for now.

I still think there’s more to the CR7 buyout that we have been led to believe... But hey, it’s FIFA’s job to judge these things and I am merely observing... Because I can’t be jealous, I’m a Spurs supporter, lol...

Once the financials for the year are released we will see how and where the loan for him was paid back to FIAT.. and yes shirt sales were huge.. but clubs only get about 30% of that.. they also got a few extra sponsors on board as well because of his arrival.. but yeah there is a very fine line with FFP... and Juve aren't known to splurge on signings. Higuain was a big money signing but that was done with the sale of Pogba the financial security of the club has always been priority for the family. Edited by Gen

Once the financials for the year are released we will see how and where the loan for him was paid back to FIAT.. and yes shirt sales were huge.. but clubs only get about 30% of that.. they also got a few extra sponsors on board as well because of his arrival.. but yeah there is a very fine line with FFP... and Juve aren't known to splurge on signings. Higuain was a big money signing but that was done with the sale of Pogba.

True. And in Juve’s case they had just gone through their own penalty not too long ago so why they be so silly so breach the rules...

In the case of Chelsea and Man City, they have been pushing the boundaries for a while now, even with Barca ma Real having been suspended previously. So I have no sympathy for them.

And back to silly season... Griezmann has announced that he will leave Atletico at the end of the season (most likely Barca bound)

So Barca's transfers are already looking like... Griezmann, Frenkie de Jong (confirmed) De Ligt (most likely too)

True. And in Juve’s case they had just gone through their own penalty not too long ago so why they be so silly so breach the rules...

In the case of Chelsea and Man City, they have been pushing the boundaries for a while now, even with Barca ma Real having been suspended previously. So I have no sympathy for them.

City and, to a lesser degree, Chelsea will in all likelihood be more than happy for FFP to be strictly applied in the future. Now that they are in the 'top club' section of their league I'm sure they would be quite chuffed to see the door locked and bolted behind them locking them in and others out.

It has hardly been a secret that they cheated their way to success, and yes if they did they should be punished, but it is pretty much too late to have any meaningful effect now. They got what they wanted. 

City and, to a lesser degree, Chelsea will in all likelihood be more than happy for FFP to be strictly applied in the future. Now that they are in the 'top club' section of their league I'm sure they would be quite chuffed to see the door locked and bolted behind them locking them in and others out.

It has hardly been a secret that they cheated their way to success, and yes if they did they should be punished, but it is pretty much too late to have any meaningful effect now. They got what they wanted. 

Would you honestly say the EPL as a product would be better off in a scenario with mediocre mid-table City & Chelsea clubs where no rich guy invested in them?

As you alluded in your post FFP only serves to keep the status quo, it "locks & bolts the doors for the have-nots" and makes it impossible for a club outside the current elite to break in. It only serves to widen the gap between the top-clubs and the rest.

imo one of the worst rules ever conceived.

But surely the foreign investors have also contributed in the global growth of the PL by luring big name players to the leagues first it was Abramovich, then the Glazers.. Now more than half of the teams in the PL are foreign owned ..(correct me if I am wrong)

The wage bill in the PL is nearly £3b annually more than any other league..surely that is thanks to foreign investors.

Edited by Gen

Would you honestly say the EPL as a product would be better off in a scenario with mediocre mid-table City & Chelsea clubs where no rich guy invested in them?

As you alluded in your post FFP only serves to keep the status quo, it "locks & bolts the doors for the have-nots" and makes it impossible for a club outside the current elite to break in. It only serves to widen the gap between the top-clubs and the rest.

imo one of the worst rules ever conceived.

I'm entirely conflicted by the whole FFP thing.

On the one hand if UEFA are saying "Here's some rules to stop you doing a Leeds" I'm in favour of it.

If it prevents a situation like France where PSG should just be handed the trophy at the start of the season, again I'm in favour of it.

If though it locks teams out and stops a club growing organically then I'm against it.

But whether it is a good idea or not isn't the point right now, the real point is that all these teams agreed to the rules when they accepted an invitation to take part in the competition only to then try and cheat their way around them.

I would be very disappointed to find the team I support had acted that way.

But surely the foreign investors have also contributed in the global growth of the PL by luring big name players to the leagues first it was Abramovich, then the Glazers.. Now more than half of the teams in the PL are foreign owned ..(correct me if I am wrong)

The wage bill in the PL is nearly £3b annually more than any other league..surely that is thanks to foreign investors.

I'm genuinely not interested in the global growth of the PL, what difference does it really make to me which team can claim the most Twitter followers in Pakistan?

The money has ruined football in England as far as I am concerned, in the years before the premier league arrived Derby, Villa, Leeds, Everton and Forest all won the league. Since then Only leicester, as a club of similar means, have won.

How can that be good?

I'm entirely conflicted by the whole FFP thing.

On the one hand if UEFA are saying "Here's some rules to stop you doing a Leeds" I'm in favour of it.

If it prevents a situation like France where PSG should just be handed the trophy at the start of the season, again I'm in favour of it.

If though it locks teams out and stops a club growing organically then I'm against it.

But whether it is a good idea or not isn't the point right now, the real point is that all these teams agreed to the rules when they accepted an invitation to take part in the competition only to then try and cheat their way around them.

I would be very disappointed to find the team I support had acted that way.

I agree with you 100% that if the rule is there you shouldn't cheat and that whether the rule is fair or not is a different matter.

But regarding the rule it is clear that the gap between the top 6 and the rest of the league is widening. I don't know how another team is supposed to break into that group permanently by "growing organically". Don't see it happening without a sizeable investment

I'm genuinely not interested in the global growth of the PL, what difference does it really make to me which team can claim the most Twitter followers in Pakistan?

The money has ruined football in England as far as I am concerned, in the years before the premier league arrived Derby, Villa, Leeds, Everton and Forest all won the league. Since then Only leicester, as a club of similar means, have won.

How can that be good?

Global Growth mean higher revenue collected from TV rights etc from Broadcasters outside of Eng... it is why the PL teams each are getting £79.4m from the equal split alone.. would you rather have lower quality football where anyone can win it or have bragging rights that all European finals are to be contested by PL teams.. this would not be achievable without the money.. the home grown talent would move abroad and the foreign talent wouldn't go and play in the PL

It is just a question... I am interested in hearing your views on it.

What I like about FFP is that because players sale prices are so ridiculously high and star players demand such high salaries is that clubs have no other option but to invest more in their youth and we will see more home grown players graduating to first teams and not spend a significant part of their careers out on loan or just disappearing completely.

Edited by Gen

Global Growth mean higher revenue collected from TV rights etc from Broadcasters outside of Eng... it is why the PL teams each are getting £79.4m from the equal split alone.. would you rather have lower quality football where anyone can win it or have bragging rights that all European finals are to be contested by PL teams.. this would not be achievable without the money.. the home grown talent would move abroad and the foreign talent wouldn't go and play in the PL

It is just a question... I am interested in hearing your views on it.

What I like about FFP is that because players sale prices are so ridiculously high and star players demand such high salaries is that clubs have no other option but to invest more in their youth and we will see more home grown players graduating to first teams and not spend a significant part of their careers out on loan or just disappearing completely.

It doesn't strengthen the whole league equally - take the three relegated teams as an example who this year set a new record low for combined points (76). That is a number that is falling year on year (111 was the total in 2011).

Something is very wrong when the gap is that wide.

Rossi? isn't he a motorbike racer?

For me italian soccer players are going to battle to shake off the stigma of being the biggest divers in the game.

the guy in question, here in mzanzi!

he got man of the match for this "performance"

https://youtu.be/fjpqJDYXhwQ?t=6

full respect for playing entire career at your boyhood club, but hey things move on and there's nothing worse than someone staying on beyond sellby date (I don't follow italian soccer so can't really comment on his current form).

Rossi? isn't he a motorbike racer?

For me italian soccer players are going to battle to shake off the stigma of being the biggest divers in the game.

https://youtu.be/vl2F6P8bw9w

the guy in question, here in mzanzi!

https://youtu.be/meWyEBCo6oo

he got man of the match for this "performance"

https://youtu.be/fjpqJDYXhwQ?t=6

full respect for playing entire career at your boyhood club, but hey things move on and there's nothing worse than someone staying on beyond sellby date (I don't follow italian soccer so can't really comment on his current form).

Start with getting the name right.[emoji2957]

VAR has sorted out diving in Serie A.. ask Ronaldo.. it will get better in the PL from next season too.

For sure when it is time to call a career you call it.. but I just feel that long standing players should be able to do it in their own terms and it should def be handled better than how they handled De Rossi's situation. Even at his age he was always instrumental when he was on the pitch.. ask Barca..

Edited by Gen