Nic White's response

Troi Sport

Hi Shamus 

Who ever wrote this stuff doesn't have many facts, and must be a bit of an idiot.

there is a potential sponsor that Malcolm has secured, and not one of Doug's for that matter, as with who may go or not, there is no establishment of that yet, 

So i would not take this to heart, 

And wouldn't it be better if there were more teams to fill the pool in SA? 

I don't think that MTN would disappear if a rider or two went to another team. But it would certainly increase the interest in how that racing pans out - don't you think?

Cheers, 

Nic

On 11 Jun 2008, at 12:25 PM, Bicicletta_Shamus wrote:

Rookie
Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Banji Replybullet Topic: Lange Stabs Douglas Ryder in the back !!!!!!!!!!
    Posted: Today at 11:58am

After saving the Malcolm Lange Sinking ship a few years ago, Malcolm has done the unthinkable by stabbing Douglas Ryder in the back.

When Malcolm was removed from the HSBC cycling team for personal reasons, Douglas came to the rescue and offered him a ride on his team. Malcom took it with open arms and proved to be a valuable signing. With malcolm on the team Doug managed to secure big sponsors and build a strong team.

Now the tides have turned. Malcolm has infact started his own team with some of Dougs Sponsors, which may cause the colapse of MTN cycling team. To add salt to the wounds, Nic the Prick and Ian are going with. Now bearing in mind, Nic and his buddies knew about the demise of HSBC way before the rest of his team did and secured his own future with MTN before the announcement was made.

So, ten years down the line what can the local cycling scene in South Africa say about the established riders. Are they still the scheming bunch they were a few years back. Is it still a case of "I am ok Jack, Skrew you". I think so.

So, as to all the psychophantic cheerleading about Malcolm Lange and his 380 odd wins, what are the critics going to say? Mind you, try and have a conversation with either Nic or Mal and you can see why the two of them need to carry on riding their bikes.

Flicking your saviour like that makes me wondor just how hard it would be for them to put a needle in the vein.Confused

you might want to check this out.

Shamus Kreuger<?: PREFIX = O />

BICICLETTA
(Pronounced: Bi - Chi - Kle - Ta)

<att6c777.jpg>

+27 (0)83 407 8562 Mobile
+27 (0)12 665 4433 Office
+27 (0)86 503 0253 Fax

shamus@bicicletta.co.za
www.bicicletta.co.za

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree 100% that the MTN show become a bit of a farce for the rest of the bunch. More teams will certainly strengthen the racing.

BUT hat's off to what Douglas is doing. Setting the standard for the rest.

Unfortanately it is not healthy if they have 12 riders on the starting line and dictates every race. No fun in that.

Doug takes his riders for granted, he treats them like sh*t, but they are the guys getting him the exposure to sign big sponsors like MTN. Without Malcolm, Nic and Ian MTN will struggle to get results next year. Which is better for other teams who also put money in cycling but cant race against MTN because of their big budget? South-Africa should have 10 pro teams of 6 riders each, not 3 teams of 10 riders each!

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Good luck Malcolm, know your team will be a great success!   

Surely this is business principles ... no one is indispensible ... DR pays his riders and his riders give him exposure ...Riders wants to leave ... no problem ... IMHO ...ML sees a gap; he should take it ... evern NW for that matter .... basic business principles ....

THE accusations and opinions fly.  Peet, what evidence do you have to make your statement about Douglas?

Chrispy are you implying that MTN is showing just how weak pro cycling is in RSA, or are MTN performances are a Farce? If the first is true then it is not Douglas's fault that he is doing something right, and the rest not.  (If you have a problem with losing then get the loser to change is ways).

If the rules of RSA racing state that a team can have twelve riders then thats the rules, DUH.  It is not cheating, and other teams must raise their standards and numbers to race.  (Alternatively CSA meeds, for development purposes to revisit the rule)  So stop complaining when a team is simply racing according to the rules, rather get your manager to get his act together.

Lastly, if ML has reached a point where he feels his loyalty to DR has been tested to the extreme, then it is his responsibility and right to part ways.  (all bids off).  THis matter should be between the two men, and only open for public comment when it is clear to both men that no reconciliation is possible (Guys don't jump the gun, and say things that aren't so-yet)

THE accusations and opinions fly.  Peet' date=' what evidence do you have to make your statement about Douglas?

Chrispy are you implying that MTN is showing just how weak pro cycling is in RSA, or are MTN performances are a Farce? If the first is true then it is not Douglas's fault that he is doing something right, and the rest not.  (If you have a problem with losing then get the loser to change is ways).

If the rules of RSA racing state that a team can have twelve riders then thats the rules, DUH.  It is not cheating, and other teams must raise their standards and numbers to race.  (Alternatively CSA meeds, for development purposes to revisit the rule)  So stop complaining when a team is simply racing according to the rules, rather get your manager to get his act together.

Lastly, if ML has reached a point where he feels his loyalty to DR has been tested to the extreme, then it is his responsibility and right to part ways.  (all bids off).  THis matter should be between the two men, and only open for public comment when it is clear to both men that no reconciliation is possible (Guys don't jump the gun, and say things that aren't so-yet)
[/quote']

Agreed.

There is no problem with the way Doug Treats his riders. He just expects the best from them all the time. I think its more of a case that certain riders dont like being team players.

KonaFan.... I have been close to the MTN camp when DR has thrown a wobbly.... not very pleasant, so I guess other spectators have been witness to this.  but hey, I guess the boss can do that.

I think ALL the bosses throw wobbly's....... thats what cycling and winning for Sponsors is about. 

Chrispy.....MTN had 10 or so guys on the start line in Durban... Konica 5. Konica secured 1st and 2ndLOL  so this makes some more determined and cycling great to watch.

Guest colonel

Agreed.

There is no problem with the way Doug Treats his riders. He just expects the best from them all the time. I think its more of a case that certain riders dont like being team players.

You have to be joking right??

I have tried talking to Malcolm.  Met up with him while riding one day in Durban.  All I can say is what a nice guy.  He even stopped and waited while I fixed a puncture.  And waited again when I realised I had dropped my valve adaptor and had to turn around and get it.

Chrispy are you implying that MTN is showing just how weak pro cycling is in RSA' date=' or are MTN performances are a Farce? If the first is true then it is not Douglas's fault that he is doing something right, and the rest not.  (If you have a problem with losing then get the loser to change is ways).

[/quote']

Spot on!!

Douglas got it right so why can't the other guys? I know K-M and Neotel is doing good stuff (and winning races) but 10 teams with 6 riders will do our cycling much more good then 3 teams with 20 riders each.

Chrispy are you implying that MTN is showing just how weak pro cycling is in RSA' date=' or are MTN performances are a Farce? If the first is true then it is not Douglas's fault that he is doing something right, and the rest not.  (If you have a problem with losing then get the loser to change is ways).

[/quote']

Spot on!!

Douglas got it right so why can't the other guys? I know K-M and Neotel is doing good stuff (and winning races) but 10 teams with 6 riders will do our cycling much more good then 3 teams with 20 riders each.

Interesting Idea, but wouldn't it be better to form a "second division" whereby the teams are smaller (and budgets less) so that talent can be developed to feed into a "SA-pro tour" division where UCI rules are applied ito size of teams.  In this was depth is created and top SA cyclist can still compete in UCI format type races as well?

Chrispy... who are the 3 teams with 20 riders.?  

I think the problem lies with the sponsors being screwed and therefore pulling out of the sport.

Really sad, as more teams =  more competitive cylists = more cycling for us to watch.

Why now that David George is also part of MTN ? Does no-one remembered SA Road Champs 2007 ? I rest my case !