Nic White's response

Troi Sport

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kona.... very good idea......Star would you like to be nominated for 'President"?

comrade-commander sounds much better.Big%20smile

Kona.... very good idea......Star would you like to be nominated for 'President"?

comrade-commander sounds much better.Big%20smile

Comrade commissar perhaps

THE accusations and opinions fly.  Peet' date=' what evidence do you have to make your statement about Douglas?

[/quote']

Listen, its no secret that a few of Doug's former teammates decked him on an occation or two, and regardless if people like him or not, thats besides the point....he gets the job done for cycling in SA....and that is what counts

Chrispy... who are the 3 teams with 20 riders.?  

I think the problem lies with the sponsors being screwed and therefore pulling out of the sport.

Really sad' date=' as more teams =  more competitive cylists = more cycling for us to watch.
[/quote']

Just a hypothetical statement - but MTN is about that size. All I am saying is that if we had 10 teams like K-M and Neotel, racing will be 10 X better it is now. Just look at SA's this year and last year. A joke.

Chrispy are you implying that MTN is showing just how weak pro cycling is in RSA' date=' or are MTN performances are a Farce? If the first is true then it is not Douglas's fault that he is doing something right, and the rest not.  (If you have a problem with losing then get the loser to change is ways).

[/quote']

Spot on!!

Douglas got it right so why can't the other guys? I know K-M and Neotel is doing good stuff (and winning races) but 10 teams with 6 riders will do our cycling much more good then 3 teams with 20 riders each.

Interesting Idea, but wouldn't it be better to form a "second division" whereby the teams are smaller (and budgets less) so that talent can be developed to feed into a "SA-pro tour" division where UCI rules are applied ito size of teams.  In this was depth is created and top SA cyclist can still compete in UCI format type races as well?

I think both Neotel and House of Paints have more than 9 riders each.

Minolta keep fireing riders. I think they also started the season with 9 riders.

The real problem in SA is the cost to setup a Pro Team. Minimum is around R2million per year. It would be great to have 10 teams who all could win at any one time. But, you need 10 people like Doug, Lange, John, Carel and Barry who go out there and create teams so we all can talk sh*t about on forums like this.

A real Pro Team is a business, not a hobby.

I think both Neotel and House of Paints have more than 9 riders each.

Minolta keep fireing riders. I think they also started the season with 9 riders.

The real problem in SA is the cost to setup a Pro Team. Minimum is around R2million per year. It would be great to have 10 teams who all could win at any one time. But' date=' you need 10 people like Doug, Lange, John, Carel and Barry who go out there and create teams so we all can talk sh*t about on forums like this.

A real Pro Team is a business, not a hobby.
[/quote']

By the way, I see Minolta now has two new Algerians racing with them in Canada (three if you count Chaabane, but he's been there since the beginning of the year). Did they not have two Columbians at the start of the season? John seems to hire and fire a helluva lot - I don't know whether this is a good thing, but on the other hand, he does usually deliver the results (plenty of national and 94.7 titles, and he was the guy who started the whole Barloworld thing from scratch).

On the topic of the size of teams, perhaps CSA should conisder increasing the number of races included in the Pro Series, so that it includes all the big important races on the calender (maybe make it the similar to the races that are in the Vets' Super Series, plus some others) and limit team sizes to 6 or 7 for these races. This might encourage teams to sign less riders, but then again, is that what we really want? Smaller teams won't necessarily mean more teams (but could very well mean more riders without contracts => More riders quitting the sport because of lack of opportunities => Cycling talent lost to the sport => Less growth of SA cycling on an international level). At the end of the day, we need more sponsors to have more teams... Dilemma.
Phen2008-06-11 07:46:26

A real Pro Team is a business' date=' not a hobby.
[/quote'] DeadDeadDead Oh No!!!! tCS is only my Hobby... CryCryCry

A real Pro Team is a business' date=' not a hobby.
[/quote'] DeadDeadDead Oh No!!!! tCS is only my Hobby... CryCryCry

A hobby with tax benefits Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

why are we even having this discussions..more teams the better...give lange his freedom..case closed skelmpie2008-06-11 08:52:51

Did someone not predicted that MTN team will not last long with David George been signed ? We all heard about the fights that have already taken placed between Doug , Malcom and George.

Makes you wonder.

Umm' date=' why has everyone gotten their panties in a knot?

[/quote']

Cause they learnt how to tie one when they were young?

*Small Hijack* Ti you going to Knysna?

I couldnt care two ticks about MTN or any of the other SA Pro Teams, I dont follow SA cycling or racing.

I dont know Doug, Malcolm,Nic or any of the other (I have met Ian once at a coffee shop Smile) - all I am going to say is,  - you dont need to shout or "throw a wobbly" as someone said to get the job done, if thats the way (and I dont know) Doug behaves, its childish and unnecessary, we are all adults, behave like one and treat your man with respect and dignity.

If somebody "threw a wobbly" in front of me, I would walk away as well, ...........this is not a tyranny, speak quietly and you can make your point just as well known.!

porky2008-06-11 09:20:28