Spinning bike or home exercise bike

Clazst

So "No shifting" of gears"? 

No shifting at all.  Also makes it a lot quieter as you can run in the small ring and a high-ish gear at the back, so low "wheel" speed and no clattering with gear changes.  This allows me to train in a room between sleeping children and sleeping wife without bothering anyone.

No shifting at all.  Also makes it a lot quieter as you can run in the small ring and a high-ish gear at the back, so low "wheel" speed and no clattering with gear changes.  This allows me to train in a room between sleeping children and sleeping wife without bothering anyone.

Awesome, definitely on top of my list of next upgrades to get....

I love how quiet the new smart trainers are - you cannot hear a THING, especially when cranking the 5AM ACDC training playlist.  My wife loves it!

I love how quiet the new smart trainers are - you cannot hear a THING, especially when cranking the 5AM ACDC training playlist.  My wife loves it!

Stooopid question: The direct drive trainers are significantly quieter than the Wheel resistance trainers( like Kickr Snap), but my Man-Cave is the converted garage on the property so noise is not an issue. Is it fair to say then that the Kickr Snap or similar will be more than good enough for my application or are there other benefits to Direct drive that I am missing?

Stooopid question: The direct drive trainers are significantly quieter than the Wheel resistance trainers( like Kickr Snap), but my Man-Cave is the converted garage on the property so noise is not an issue. Is it fair to say then that the Kickr Snap or similar will be more than good enough for my application or are there other benefits to Direct drive that I am missing?

there are various things to consider, noise being but one.  Price difference between direct drives and the others is quite big, and then things like tyre wear, "ride-feel" if thats a word, etc.  Noise for me is a thing.  If you are inclined to turn the music down and chill, the constant whining of a wheel-on trainer can drive you nuts.  For me, anyway.

Wheel on also has the possibility for slippage issues between the tyre and the roller thing.  You have to check your tyre pressures before every ride and make sure there's enough pressure on the roller.  You'd also be better off having to get a second wheel that's only used on the trainer otherwise you'll wear out your normal tyre.   Normal tyres throw rubber dust out behind the wheel so it makes a mess, so a trainer tyre is needed.  Keep these costs in mind when pricing between trainers.

Direct drive, you just get on and ride. 

There's nothing 'wrong' with wheel on trainers and they'll give you the workout you need, but if you can afford the jump to direct drive it's definitely worth it. 

Is this the key to training how to fight the sleep monsters away in AR?

Direct drive KiCKR, or Cycleops and don,t forget the humble rollers .For a 30 minute workout that helps with balance and core ,nothing beets rollers .Do it properly or get rollers .A proper spinning bike works well ,but they are expensive,heavy and needs dedicated space .An IDT with Swift ,rouvy,trainerroad is just so less mundane  

Archived