One Tonner 2018

Tjommie

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was tough, the temps made it harder as well. Went through a ton of bottles. Personally the form is coming so felt good, some long turns staring into the heat haze after malmusbursy.

Started in M-z as one of the guys has been overseas since 2011. So we got to say hi to lots of mates which was awesome!! Had a few guys in the paceline which was funny, as when they got near the front they panicked and tried to avoid the wind which got awkward fast ????????

LOL great pic, it was me next to you who said "hashtag selfie" and then "hashtag ohhh ***"..

Good ride well done..

:thumbup: Was hoping whomever shouted that would see the pic. Last year I also took a pic going up there but by that time the bunch had broken up already.

Two things about the race being cancelled. 

1) They only do it to cover their asses.

2) You can still finish despite it being cancelled. 

Both my dad and the guy that works with me got their times even after being told the race was cancelled.

Personally I would not just get off my bike and wait who knows how long for someone to come pick me up, I'd carry on riding because I need to get home. 

Recovering

I carried 2L of water plus 1.2L of Drink  with me.

First stop @ bottom of Bothma.

1.8L of water plus .8L of Powerade, still had .8L of Drink

Second stop Before Silos.

1.2L of water, 

The riders also knew that it was going to be hot on the day, how about we take some responsibility for ourselves and not dump everything on race organisers?

Cancelling a race is not an easy call to make, whatever you decide some people will be unhappy. I have experienced warmer days on the bike than today, I think it was the right call to let the race go ahead.

i don't know how much responsibility i want to take upon myself for wanting to ride a race that i paid for 3 months ago.

it would've been better if they just called it at the start instead of using the "let's wait and see approach".

cape town cycle tour was cancelled last year, maybe not right at the start, but not after 4 to 5 hours.  you were turned around and told to go home.  no riding was to continue on the route.  that was a DEFINITE decision.  the situation yesterday seemed blurry, at the least.  that frustrated me.

i was glad i soft pedaled to the finish though, got my (rubbish) time and a lekker medal.

Anybody know how the crash victims in H-K (109km) on Windmeul Road are doing.?

Suspect there was a touch of wheels when one went down.

In trying to avoid that, some others sounded like they went down really hard.

That sir would be me as the first victim and two more after that.  the one burst a rear tire braking not to hit me in the back and the other broke his rear derailed (bummer). hitting the deck as well.

We all got up unscaved (in the broken any body parts department). so i consider us very very lucky indeed.  The PPA route petrol bus arrived luckily 5 minutes later, patched up my arm and i went on to finish.  Felt bad for the other two that had to get on the bus due to the bikes not being roadworthy after that.  But its ma part of the game i guess and super stoked that we all got off so lightly. - i knew something was up when i could only find my long fingered gloves....

On the matter of the Heat:  I was being sterilized by the medics at the finish line by the medics when the race DR was called in to make a call on the heat and if the race should continue.  I did't stick around for that, but from what i picked up is that it was already 38deg and they were  seriously worried for the back markers on the long route.  I must say that HK bunch on the 109km already caught after some of those groups after hells and then at regular intervals after that before we peeled of at windmeul - i was thinking that i was glad im doing the short one, cause its gonna be a long day in that heat and youre only there now.

Archived