Santa Cruz Tallboy 3cc or Hightower

Chubba

Hey all,

Struggling with myself to decide which is the bike for me. I’m currently on a TB 1 and it’s time for an upgrade. My TB has 100mm rear and 120mm front and I think I want more.

I don’t particularly climb well but seem to spend a lot of time climbing hills, I live on the base of Table Mountain, so spend a lot of time on the slopes and enjoy the single track on Lions Head, Pats Track and the Signal Hill trails. Also dig Tokai (not the DH stuff), Hoogekraal and Jonkershoek.

New TB is 110mm and the HT is 135mm, trying to organise a demo to get a feel, but would really like some feedback from you guys on the 2 bikes.

I’m looking to buy a frame as I have most of the parts for a build, including a Pike.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey have owned all 3 bikes. Had 2 tb2’s and loved them . But as well they climbed they just weren’t trail enough for me . That was my only gripe with them,even with a 130 mm fork on .

Then I bought the Hightower . And it couldn’t of been more of an opposite . It bombed the downhills with scant regard for line choice or my lack of skill . But always came out unscathed. As far the climbing aspect , I did the van Gaalens ashburton marathon on it . It was a bit of a slog on the climbs but doable . Was a tough race on the Hightower .

Then bought a tb3 2018 model. Very very different to the tb2 and the has that Hightower feel to it. Climbs much better than the Hightower but doesn’t loose as much as you might think in the downs . It’s feels confident & stable on the downs with it being lethargic which I felt the Hightower was a bit sometimes. The HT wanted to steam roll everything .

If you climb a fair bit and do distance it’s a no brainier . If you pedal just to get to the top then the HT would be my choice . If you inbetween you need to decide which the priority. Both epic bikes!

Edited by Pikey

Thanks Pikey, appreciate the feedback. I always new the TB would be the better climber, I guess it’s the downs that has me more interested in the longer travel. More confidence to go faster and take a few more tough lines. Interesting to hear that the TB handles the technical stuff well. What did you run on the TB upfront?

Agree with Pikey 100%, I think at the end of the day though by the sounds of things, you wont be disappointed with either!

Same as Pikey... Had a TB2, now have a Hightower and a TB3... If I had to choose one for trails you are describing, it would be the TB. But if you mostly go ride rough, tough trails, not marathon or classic races, go for the HT.

For me, Hightower. The fun factor with longer travel swings it imo. You can do longer marathon type rides too, but at a more relaxed pace (very few people race for podium places anyway).

I find it amusing to pick streight lines and roll past fellow riders pushing their bikes over rocky bits, many times I can ride as if the rocks were not there. Also great to nail descents and being able to pass on the rough line nobody else takes.

Both great options - try test both.

Edited by Christie

Thanks Pikey, appreciate the feedback. I always new the TB would be the better climber, I guess it’s the downs that has me more interested in the longer travel. More confidence to go faster and take a few more tough lines. Interesting to hear that the TB handles the technical stuff well. What did you run on the TB upfront?

I run an Mrp ribbon 130 on the tb3. And on the HT a pike 150 .

I should mention I had an xl HT which always felt a little on the big side,even with a 50 mm stem. I think it made climbing slightly harder because I was bent in half just to get my weight over the front in really steep rocky stuff.

Sure the extra travel is cool,but if you not jumping or doing big drops,you will be properly surprised with what the tb3 can handle and with composure as well.

I will ride my talllboy 99% of the stuff that I rode on my my evil following . Very different bikes and very different characteristics . But don’t blow the tb of as just a marathon / stage racer ,it’s not ,it’s so much more.

I am 183cm 6 ft tall

Edited by Pikey

Don’t get me wrong ,I loved my ht and would own another one in the blink of an eye .

As christie said you can most definitely do longer marathon type races on it ,even stage races for sure. As long as your mindset is to just compete and have a blast and not race against yourself for time . Which is what most of us do anyway, race ourselves coz no else really cares.

So if time is of no consequence and you are a fairly ok climber anyway , then the ht because then the fun factor on the downs will out weigh all else.

Just as a side note and comparison . The ashburton van Gaalens 75km marathon ,which is a bloody tough race. Lots of climbing in loose rocks and rough terrain .

My 2016/2017 times were only 2 minutes apart . One on tb2 other on ht. Food for thought. Although I was fitter for the ht ride but still.

I run an Mrp ribbon 130 on the tb3. And on the HT a pike 150 .

I should mention I had an xl HT which always felt a little on the big side,even with a 50 mm stem. I think it made climbing slightly harder because I was bent in half just to get my weight over the front in really steep rocky stuff.

Sure the extra travel is cool,but if you not jumping or doing big drops,you will be properly surprised with what the tb3 can handle and with composure as well.

I will ride my talllboy 99% of the stuff that I rode on my my evil following . Very different bikes and very different characteristics . But don’t blow the tb of as just a marathon / stage racer ,it’s not ,it’s so much more.

I am 183cm 6 ft tall

Are you currently on a TB? From what I've read the TB is a better all round bike verse the Following MB. Been spending a lot of time reading these, great reviews. The other option is the Ibis Ripley, but i think from a support perspective SC is the better brand in SA.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/biking/best-trail-mountain-bike

Don't do races, not my vibe, enjoy just riding and chilling!

I've owned all 3 TB's to date and my biggest issue with the I & the II was that they were a bit twitchy going downhill. I seriously considered fitting a Cane Creek AngleSet to slacken the head angle.

Fortunately the TB III is a completely different bike and despite my lack of skills and healthy fear of falling I find myself going down things I never would have considered previously.

I suspect it's probably one of the best compromises if you require a bike for both Marathon and a bit fooling around.

I should add that I have Fox 130mm up front. 

Edited by WIPEOUT 1000

Are you currently on a TB? From what I've read the TB is a better all round bike verse the Following MB. Been spending a lot of time reading these, great reviews. The other option is the Ibis Ripley, but i think from a support perspective SC is the better brand in SA.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/biking/best-trail-mountain-bike

Don't do races, not my vibe, enjoy just riding and chilling!

No unfortunately not . Am in between bikes at present . I miss my following mb,gawd damn it’s the raddest bike. I sold it because I to caught up in the race thing,stage races and the like.

If I didn’t care about time or do races . I can with out any shadow of a doubt ,not even the slightest hesitation recommend you buy the following. It is the one bike that I regret selling wholeheartedly. It’s just such a hooligan bike,it makes you wanna do bad sh$t,but then bails you out of the k@k you made for your self . It’s so composed when you run out of talent it’s almost wrong.

If racing is not your vibe and you just enjoy your riding what are you waiting for ?

It doesn’t climb bad at all,so much rear traction it’s like a 4x4 in low mode ( or how ever they climb ????). It’s just not fast and takes a little more effort to keep the cranks turning . But and a big but for me ,in the rough stuff and rocks when it’s going up and gets steep this bike will drag you up there albeit maybe a bit slower.

I cannot sing high enough praises for the following and Craig & Brenton will give you service like you have seldom been treated to. Genuine top class lads ????

Edited by Pikey

After lots of discussion, soul searching, more reading, more discussion, i have adjusted my previous list.

I am now looking at:

SC Tallboy 3

Ibis Ripley LS

Evil Following MB

I think the Hightower is a bit too much travel for me, but looks like an amazing bike.

Now to find people that will let me ride their bikes......