Onrus Routes

Patchelicious

Ate at Ou Meul, was scrumptious

How long are you in Onrus? Heading that way for the weekend. I only do mtb but we can always grab a coffee if you did not bring a mtb. After crossing swords on the Trump forum a few times it would be nice to meet shoot the breeze.

How long are you in Onrus? Heading that way for the weekend. I only do mtb but we can always grab a coffee if you did not bring a mtb. After crossing swords on the Trump forum a few times it would be nice to meet shoot the breeze.

I left this morning early. Back in JHB now.

But it would be cool. Lots of people on this forum have crossed swords with me, but those that I end up meeting in person will all tell you that once you know me, you will realize that mean well.

Even IceCream or Carbon29 or even Wyatt will tell you, it’s all in good spirit once we get chatting.

I left this morning early. Back in JHB now.

But it would be cool. Lots of people on this forum have crossed swords with me, but those that I end up meeting in person will all tell you that once you know me, you will realize that mean well.

Even IceCream or Carbon29 or even Wyatt will tell you, it’s all in good spirit once we get chatting.

Next time then. Believe me I would not have extended the offer if I thought otherwise  :thumbup:

Edited by Delarey

I'm going to be holidaying in Hermanus towards the end of Oct, sadly will not have a bikeDrop 

Drop me a PM when you are in the area. I have a place in Onrus so we go there a lot (not as much as I like to). I can even hook you up with a mtb if you like. I leave an extra bike and helmet there so if you want to ride, just bring the rest.

Edit: Would be nice to meet as well if you are around long enough.

Edited by Delarey

I'm going to be holidaying in Hermanus towards the end of Oct, sadly will not have a bike

Let me know if you need a bike, have a few in cpt (medium to xl) Even though you are a cynical old man, you are a cyclist and if me sharing our bikes makes you a bit more understanding to my point of view, it’s a win!

The fact that you are an airplane engineer, adds a lot of respect. If you were ever in the SADF, please PM me, my family was very involved as pilots and they always taught me about the importance of the dudes on the ground.

That climb up to the towers is really cool, not sure why that wasn’t recommend. Have incorporated into two rides already.

One ride that I recommend that you DONT do is from Onrus to Stanford. Thought it would be a good idea to ride there and meet the family for breakfast. Won’t make that mistake again! That road is ***!

The road to Stanford claims at least one cyclist a year.

• 2 months later...

That climb up to the towers is really cool, not sure why that wasn’t recommend. Have incorporated into two rides already.

One ride that I recommend that you DONT do is from Onrus to Stanford. Thought it would be a good idea to ride there and meet the family for breakfast. Won’t make that mistake again! That road is ***!

I'm going to be in Onrus for Xmas.....where are the towers?

• 1 month later...

To add a little current detail on this thread...

Just back from a few days in Onrus and managed to get some rides in before getting sick...

1. Hemel and Aarde valley road (tar) - just beautiful and only narrow-ish in a few places but nothing alarming IMO. Good climbing workout and I have to return to push through to Shaws and Caledon. But there's still plenty to work the legs however far up the road you go!

2. H & A and then left on to the Karwyderskraal road (gravel) to ride in an ACW loop back to Onrus. Nice bit of gravel riding with some steep pulls and descents. Have more confidence on gravel than I do, and the descents would be more fun!

3. West from Onrus to Kleinmond (tar), +/-50km return. Really nice ride with a wide emergency lane for most, if not all of it. Just don't go on a day when the wind swings when you're having coffee in Kleinmond so that you have a headwind on both legs...

4. Onrus to Botrivier on the R43 and return. You can skip some of the R43 on the Karwyderskraal road (tar) which is v pretty. Around 50km. I saw lots of cyclists on the KWK road loop but not so many on the R43.

Still to do: Rotary Way - looks like a good hill rep route to me; various gravel roads north of Onrus; and the ride to Franschhoek that I was saving (for the week I got sick of course).

PS As stated, avoid the Stanford road. PPS Avoid the road between Vermont-Hermanus R43 section after 0900 in Dec. Crazy busy with cars bumper-to-bumper and despite the wide emergency lane...you know the rest.

Will try and post some photos later.