You paid the money into the wrong account

Lucky Fish

This, i swopped 2 digits and it rejected. The chances of making an error and it been accepted is virtually impossible You could sit and play with swapping digits until you do get a valid response but you have no way of knowing whether its an active account or just that the algorithm pattern fits.

But you can use the universal branch code not the actual branch code of the account number when making a payment, these days you don't need the branch code, you just select the bank?

My Fnb cheque acc number also didn't change when I moved my home branch to a different branch in a different city?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But you can use the universal branch code not the actual branch code of the account number when making a payment, these days you don't need the branch code, you just select the bank?

My Fnb cheque acc number also didn't change when I moved my home branch to a different branch in a different city?

Ignore this if its too long

Until the late 80's you had to generate a new account when moving branches, Ledgers as it was then known was the department responsible for opening new accounts and it was a manual process where you used a card with digits on it to calculate the account number using the persons surname as the start, FNB used to have 10 digit account numbers. Been a manual process 2 or more branches could end up with same account. If you were the ordinary Joe Soap, tough, you were stuck with it and the only thing separating them was the six digit branch number. However for large corporations this could be an issue (Piet Pompies vs Anglo America) so you had a list of them and if that number was the same you ignored it and worked a new one out to reduce the possibility of someone paying millions to Piet Pompies instead of Anglo America. Mid/llate 80's and IT hit SA so the number generation could be computerized. FNB also had a 3 digit number for each branch so the easiest would be to include this in the account in front and drop off the last digits to make it 11 digits and unique. Being unique there was also no need to change it when changing branches and having the hassle of changing debit orders, stop orders etc. 

Edited by scotty

Standard Bank has a feature on their app that verifies a bank account if you so require,(at no cost), before you decide to proceed to making payment. I used it for the first time last Friday. Works a charm. Also, it was checking an ABSA number, so it's not limited to only SBSA clients.
My verification was instantaneous (well, within 3 seconds).

Ebrahim Mohamed, from Newcastle,  advertised a very nice Bianchi road bike on Junkmail.  I decided to buy the bike and asked for his banking details which he sent by e-mail.  I paid the money into the account and arranged for the collection.  Close the the collection date I was told that the money does not reflect in his account.  I then sent him proof of payment only to be told I did not pay the money into his account.  He denies the e-mail contents.

He then forwarded a fake screenshot from his phone with different banking details.

(Interestingly the 2 accounts are both from Newcastle Standard Bank and both have very similar sounding names.  Standard Bank did their usual nothing to reverse the transaction.)

I have laid a charge of fraud.

Johan Vermeulen.

This, i swopped 2 digits and it rejected. The chances of making an error and it been accepted is virtually impossible You could sit and play with swapping digits until you do get a valid response but you have no way of knowing whether its an active account or just that the algorithm pattern fits.  

Hi There , this is Chris from Triathlon Cycles. I know this bike and confirm him as a customer of mine. He wanted to cycle but don't think it work for him. I sold him the bike 2nd hand  on  the 12/01/2012 and can even source the invoice if need be. Do not know him as a thief / fraudulent type of person , think he  might also be  a victim . Sorry to hear you got nailed hope the guilty party gets caught

But what the alleged scammer could do, is contact the person in whose account the money were paid in, and tell them that is was an incorrect deposit, and if they could transfer it back to "their" account.  Not sure if that would work, especially if they say for the inconvenience they can keep a R1000 for themselves.

sounds like it could work, but you'd have to be convincing.

normally scammer=>scammee.

put a middleman in and it will take forever to get police/banks to reverse all payments.

Hi There , this is Chris from Triathlon Cycles. I know this bike and confirm him as a customer of mine. He wanted to cycle but don't think it work for him. I sold him the bike 2nd hand on the 12/01/2012 and can even source the invoice if need be. Do not know him as a thief / fraudulent type of person , think he might also be a victim . Sorry to hear you got nailed hope the guilty party gets caught

Would it be possible to confirm if it is the same guy you sold the bike to that the op is dealing with and not someone masquerading as Ebrahim Mohamed?

Phone Chris at Triathlon cycles. He should know this person. Im sending the no via pm

Thank you for the feedback.

Hi There , this is Chris from Triathlon Cycles. I know this bike and confirm him as a customer of mine. He wanted to cycle but don't think it work for him. I sold him the bike 2nd hand  on  the 12/01/2012 and can even source the invoice if need be. Do not know him as a thief / fraudulent type of person , think he  might also be  a victim . Sorry to hear you got nailed hope the guilty party gets caught

Chris.

How can he be a victim if he lost nothing in this transaction?

Maybe you can arrange to have the bike (and gear) stored at your shop till the court case is finalized? (Which is what I should have done in the first place prior to parting with my money.)

Be careful to vouch for another person's character:  Many thought that it was impossible for Hansie Cronje to be involved in illegal sports betting; Bill Clinton having an affair with Monica Lowinsky; Tiger Woods to cheat his wife with multiple partners and recently Oscar Pistorius where some believe he is still innocent of murder despite the conviction.

Chris.

How can he be a victim if he lost nothing in this transaction?

Maybe you can arrange to have the bike (and gear) stored at your shop till the court case is finalized? (Which is what I should have done in the first place prior to parting with my money.)

Be careful to vouch for another person's character: Many thought that it was impossible for Hansie Cronje to be involved in illegal sports betting; Bill Clinton having an affair with Monica Lowinsky; Tiger Woods to cheat his wife with multiple partners and recently Oscar Pistorius where some believe he is still innocent of murder despite the conviction.

I agree with this, on so many of these scammer threads theres someone vouching for the crook because they had a good experience with them. I get that, but you know crooks also need their bikes serviced. The scamming incident i had was with a guy from durban, Mark Raubenheimer, and his buddy at cycle lab vouched for him all the way. Turns out hes been arrested and found guily of fraud of R2mil, and tries to scam everyone wherever he goes.

I agree with this, on so many of these scammer threads theres someone vouching for the crook because they had a good experience with them. I get that, but you know crooks also need their bikes serviced. The scamming incident i had was with a guy from durban, Mark Raubenheimer, and his buddy at cycle lab vouched for him all the way. Turns out hes been arrested and found guily of fraud of R2mil, and tries to scam everyone wherever he goes.

Jacoo, just a tip. Be careful about throwing a person's name around and mention things like arrestations and fraud, people have been sued for less.

I understand that you had a bad dealing with the guy, and you are probably within your right to mention that. But just reign it back a little bit with any details outside of that.

Use it, don't use it.

Seriously wishing you best of luck. Had a situation some time ago the bank just didn't give a sh@t. The police will take nearly a lifetime if they do something.

All I can say is there's people who find and deal with people like this which is much more effective.????