[Event] Tshwane Classic

Forthelove

What's with the messed up average speeds in the results?

Please elaborate, I don't see any irregularities in the ave speeds for the Elites or groups AL and BL. Where do you see problems?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember elites missed Tom Jenkins, probably 5km shorter distance. But not all of them only the lead bunch. Did Racetec correct it? Cant see how

Probably difference between racetec distance and a garmin distance might be the reason for the recoreded speed differences.  I have often done an official say a 106km race only to record 103km or 95km and record 93kms.  Racetec results and speed will be based on official race distance. My garmin will tell me something else with regard to speed based on recorded distance.

The more you measure stuff in life with various tools the more you come to realise that two measuring devices will almost always measure stuff differently, that is one of the reasons for the allowance of manufacturing tolerances when you build stuff. 

So back to the Ave speed differences:

There WILL be differences between the official results and what your Garmin measured, guaranteed. But does it matter, at all? You just want your position to be accurate within the bunch and your finishing time relative to the winner to be accurate, for future seeding purposes. Why would anyone need to have an accurate Ave Speed down to the 2nd decimal position?

Racetec vs Garmin for me:

Garmin measured 34s longer as well as 1.78km more.

Racetec 36.8km/h Garmin 37.4km/h

Who cares?

"Messed up" results to my mind would be if it said 64km/h average or 13km/h average. These are acceptable variations IMHO.

Please elaborate, I don't see any irregularities in the ave speeds for the Elites or groups AL and BL. Where do you see problems?

The winning times does not include Tom Jenkins and was on a different route.

I am guessing 10km shorter also?

Edited by Spinnekop

The winning times does not include Tom Jenkins and was on a different route.

I am guessing 10km shorter also?

Main Elites bunch did around 90.4km @ avg +-44km/h

I didnt get the luxury of missing TJ and did 96.8km

* According to strava

When it comes to Racetec calculating indexes for the race:

The index is based on the winners time and beta value (to be rudimentary). 

Is anyone aware of how the winners group riding a different (shorter and easier (without Tom Jenkins)) will be taken into account?

A lot of riders had a very good day out and could improve their index significantly but won't be fairly accounted for if the differences aren't considered.

Edited by Al Allen

Is anyone aware of how the winners group riding a different (shorter and easier (without Tom Jenkins)) will be taken into account?

A lot of riders had a very good day out and could improve their index significantly but won't be fairly accounted for if the differences aren't considered.

the times will be adjusted based on what it could have been had the elites road up Tom Jenkins. so they will add a few minutes to the winning times.

You make a good point - seeing as this was a CTCT seeding race..... we are all screwed. 

Will it be corrected?

the times will be adjusted based on what it could have been had the elites road up Tom Jenkins. so they will add a few minutes to the winning times.

Exactly what I thought based on times I saw on strava. One issue though, the loop over Tom Jenkins would have been a lot slower than the rest of the route. I don't think they adjusted for this. Not that I care, just an observation.

Main Elites bunch did around 90.4km @ avg +-44km/h

I didnt get the luxury of missing TJ and did 96.8km

* According to strava

So their race time should be adjusted by 8min at least.

So they took shortcut and still got the win?

Back in my day, the guy that crossed the line first was the guy that did the full course.  Irrespective of circumstances...........

Hell, two years back the Comm took us the wrong route and promptly turned us around and marched us back to where it all went wrong.

I guy that got dropped 40km back took the correct turn and won the race.

This was at the Carnival City.

Edited by Spinnekop

You make a good point - seeing as this was a CTCT seeding race..... we are all screwed. 

Will it be corrected?

My current seeding as it stands.........12.9

Correct seeding should they add 8min.........7.4

Interesting.

My Thoughts as well , but I guess the Comms did not realise until they were across the line.

The UCI has rules for sock length........I am very certain there are rules wrt this.............

I had a look at my sons Strava he was in the top 10.

Racetime 2:08

Two stops of 3:12 and 4min where his gps autopaused.

That gives a total time start to finish of around 2:15

The loop the elites missed incl TomJenkins was around 6kms and it took me 16 minutes. Them maybe 10 minutes?

That gives me a total of around 2:25

Remmeber elites were stopped for 2 reasons. One being that they are not racing they were cruising in protest. Hence the slow time.

Fastest non-elite time is Adolf Krige winnong VA in 2:18

So 2:25 looks to me realistic.

Seeding should be calculated accordingly.

Now who do we take this up with?