[Event] Tshwane Classic

Forthelove

The Map may be outdated for the 98km... it says we will finish with a ride up Pretoria Main Rd and then a Left Turn with the finish line downhill on Eufees. All other distances are finishing uphill on Eufees coming from Fountains, which is what we did last year. Which would be weird, having finishers coming from opposing directions.

So I suspect the 98k route on the website is an old one. It should actually be very similar to last year: Hold on through the rolling hills in the Far-West of Tshwane and then survive Tom Jenkins.

The route was like that for much of last year before they changed it just before the race. So it might just be that the old one got put up again.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno hey, everyone might wait till the last minute to ensure the event goes ahead.

BTW, better start pushing hard on the Edenvale hill.  Jenkins is a monster!!!!!   

This is no lie. I went into a zone never experienced before. Then when I saw Impey attack up there at SA champs and drop a quality rider like Nic Dlamini I just realised how a monster to me is just a drag for a WT vetran.

This is no lie. I went into a zone never experienced before. Then when I saw Impey attack up there at SA champs and drop a quality rider like Nic Dlamini I just realised how a monster to me is just a drag for a WT vetran.

I saw your average speed up there on Strava when I was checking out the segment, my heart rate started rising just looking at it.

I saw your average speed up there on Strava when I was checking out the segment, my heart rate started rising just looking at it.

That was on the tandem with a 44T blade up front and 28T at the back. I suffered!!!!! Any slower and I think we would have fallen over. I wanted to put a smaller blade up front and my toppie told me to HTFU.

That was on the tandem with a 44T blade up front and 28T at the back. I suffered!!!!! Any slower and I think we would have fallen over. I wanted to put a smaller blade up front and my toppie told me to HTFU.

Linkfield drive is a similar gradient and length, your speed is around what i do up there, without 80-90km in the legs already.

Linkfield drive is a similar gradient and length, your speed is around what i do up there, without 80-90km in the legs already.

Add some rough Paris-Roubaix cement and a 10km uphill drag just before TommieJ and you have a very interesting fun climb.

Reaaaaaallllyyy hope this event is a go and we can race full throttle coming November.  

Add some rough Paris-Roubaix cement and a 10km uphill drag just before TommieJ and you have a very interesting fun climb.

Reaaaaaallllyyy hope this event is a go and we can race full throttle coming November.  

and add a whole bunch of other riders doing different speeds. 

But it's still a lekker route. I love it.

I was lazy 2 years ago just before the race, didn't want to take the 11-27 from my slightly heavier Panorama Wheels onto my 202 ZIPPS, which has a 11-25 combo.

Let's say TJ was a cruel power grind in the 25...

Normally I take the steeper RH side as you turn into the climb.

Last year, I took the longer and less steep LH side due to the cramps.  And found the cement even worse.  Actually much worse.  Next up - straight down the middle!!

Lost 5kg during lockdown (Less caffeteria and coffee shop visits during work....), while still maintaining some level of fitness

I really wanna see what that means going up Tom Jenkins at the Tshwane Classic with 80kms in the legs this time round....

Pleeeaaasssseee let this happen...

Edited by Swift&Aero

This one!!!!

post-58906-0-53927800-1597208606.png

There is this climb as well.

post-58906-0-10209600-1597211324_thumb.png

Edited by Long Wheel Base

Thankfully they took that climb out after the first race in 2017. In that race I nearly blew chunks towards the top of Tom Jenkins  :eek:

2017 is the only year I did the race. Pity it was removed. But we had fun at the base of that climb with protest action.

So if this event takes place this year, what permit will allow travel to Gauteng from another province? (If level 3 lockdown is still in place)