Red Bull Rampage 2018

tinmug

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the nerves I feel when about to head down the dh line at Tokai and just about faint thinking about rolling into that Rampage stuff. Its mind blowing.

When your trail building gear includes rope and harnesses.  

Thing is with the judges, they like things like opposite tricks that score points in slopestyle, and I think Brett combined the best of slopestyle and freestyle worlds, and like he said previously he had to pickup the scraps from others in terms of lines, but this time they did their own thing from the get-go to suit Brett.

Its not Brett's style to go huge, he likes to keep it tight and understated, and I should say that I've always been a fan of his style.

But Semenuk,... oh Semenuk ...

And I was excited to see Nicholi Rogatkin ride and then disappointed when it turned out he didnt compete. He knows how to do it, epic crash or epic run, never disappoints.

What was the story with Nicholi?  He wasn't on the starter list and I don't recall any info from the commentators

These okes are positively insane but I still feel the winner should be decided on the combination of the 2 runs. I couldn't help but feel the final was an anti-climax.

Its the same with slopestyle competitions, they essentially get two chances. If they klap it on the first run, then no point in laying it all down again for the second, some didn't even do the second run. And if they mess up onthe 1st, they get another chance on the 2nd.

Although B dog was so peeved with his score that he didn't even do a second run, but to get better points he would have to up his game in terms of tricks.

Edited by kosmonooit

For me the highlight of this years competition was Adolf Silva's first run. Lacondeguy's influence definitely shows in his riding. But this laaitie has his own flavour of calm and composed flow to his style that makes it seem as if he is a far more seasoned rider. I've seen kids show up at Rampage in previous years. Most of them so hyped up on adrenalin and ambition that it shows in their runs. So amped to throw down that too much focus goes into pulling off big tricks. Making the rest of the run just seem like preparation between features.

But Silva had a run that was so well stitched together. On what I felt was the most creative line of the day. Those hips and the way he rolled between sections. Nursing the dirt with so much flow like he had nothing to prove. Then out of know where he free falls a drop so big I legit felt it in my stomach. Only to land it like it was fokol. Then, when he threw those horns like it was cranworx I just lost my ****. His riding reminds me of Jerry Lopez surfing pipe. Real eye of the storm stuff. Where everything around him seems so consequential but its as if he is simply unaffected by any of it. Such a pity he didn't land that trick. But relieved he completed his run on the second try. Especially for his own peace of mind. Massive respect. 

Edited by popcorn_skollie

Rheeder tricked throughout his run, while Lacondeguy only tricked loads towards the end. Rheeder's flat drop backflip was bigger than any of Lacondeguy's tricks. Rheeder also smoother and more tech (opposite/one footed can). He just did one trick less than Lacondeguy... I think he deserved it. Lacondeguy probably would have gotten it if he didn't crash on his second.

Rheeder tricked throughout his run, while Lacondeguy only tricked loads towards the end. Rheeder's flat drop backflip was bigger than any of Lacondeguy's tricks. Rheeder also smoother and more tech (opposite/one footed can). He just did one trick less than Lacondeguy... I think he deserved it. Lacondeguy probably would have gotten it if he didn't crash on his second.

I think you summed it up perfectly. I just prefer the Andreu riding style and his personality. Rheeder is brilliant but a bit of a cold fish...

What was the story with Nicholi?  He wasn't on the starter list and I don't recall any info from the commentators

He was asked on IG and he said he was not invited.

In hindsight I think Rheeder's win was well deserved. Especially after watching so many of the runs repeatedly. But it came at the expense of Lacondeguy's superb performance. Which, if I'm honest. Left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Throw Claw's underscoring in as a spanner in the works and it immediately feels like Rheeder notched above them because the judges were being dicks. Lacondeguy sends it. Every single time. And you have to ask what more could he possibly have done to improve on it and beat Rheeder? 

I also feel like judging should not be that squarely focused on tricks achieved. Rampage this year felt more like the freeride event it was always intended to be. With more focus on riders carving out their own creative path towards the bottom. As apposed to watching them drum roll their way towards the highlights. Sending it on massive, man made, moment of truth, type structures we saw in later years. Removing them did not come at the expense of the events intensity. But what has remained was how they impacted the event with regards to judging. Riders have raised the bar so high. That we (and judges) have this expectation. When Lacondeguy, Zink or Semanuk steps up. We're all anticipating the bag of tricks they have lined up. And in a sense, because we're aware of what they are capable of. They're almost judged against their own abilities.

Edited by popcorn_skollie

I reckon AL needed to have landed that last 360 without over-rotating to have won. I think that was enough to cost him the lead. 

Because you expect him to land everything perfectly. I'm left wondering. If a competitor. Who didn't have as many feathers in his hat as Lacondeguy does. If such a rider were to have his run. Identical in every aspect. Would such a rider be scored higher for surprising judges?

Because you expect him to land everything perfectly. I'm left wondering. If a competitor. Who didn't have as many feathers in his hat as Lacondeguy does. If such a rider were to have his run. Identical in every aspect. Would such a rider be scored higher for surprising judges?

I. Really can't say. Whether I'd expect to see that happening. Or not. There's just not. Enough data for. Me to make a judgement call on. That. 

:P