Newbie need light in the tunnel

OldTrekker

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and mtb, but have been googling a fair bit. Using a 20-year-old hardtail steel trek bike for fitness currently. For every km I get 2 to 3 times the fitness value ????.

But it’s time to join the fun in the new era. All the related technical jargon is a bit overwhelming but I think I have managed to narrow it down a bit. I will probably fit more in the mold of a weekend warrior, riding for fitness during the week/end and eventually doing stage events like sani2c, etc.  Starting off I don’t want to break the bank, but then I also don’t want to end up in a month or two upgrading to something better. From what I picked up my preferred requirement will be dual suspension (mid-age so not sure if I will keep up on the trails with a hardtail), 2x10 or 1x11/12 ??, reasonably good fork seems to be important, good wheels are mentioned, but got no idea what is good and what not.

Seems I will not get away with much under R20-25k, which already seems a lot paying for a bike, but I assume once the bug bites it will get less painful. 1.87m, 86kg so probably require a large.

For a new bike in that price range seems an option is the Silverback Sido 3. But that might just be a buy that I regret in a couple of months.? So, for used if I look at the current available:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/332001-2013-giant-anthem-x-large-frame/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/329261-2015-giant-anthem-x/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/331244-giant-anthem-x-carbon-l/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/331931-scott-genius-950-2016/?utm_source=topad

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/329788-scott-spark-pro-29er-carbon/

Read some good things about the Giant anthem X so that is why I got a couple in the list, but it’s also maybe a concern that there are so many available. But same can be said for Scott as there seem to be a lot of used Scotts in the market for some reason.

Don't really know enough yet to make an informed decision and what is a good buy, overpriced, etc. Also, a bit concerned on how old a used bike you should consider, especially if it is carbon. Obviously difficult to judge on face value but will appreciate some feedback on the above bikes (not by the sellers ????) in order of preference and also any other input or other bikes to consider that might put a bit of light in the tunnel.

Thanks

Also middle age .... also recently started again .... on bike 4 in 3 years .... Okay, not that bad, kept bike two as my commuter, and recently bought my ultimate dual-suspension bike.

So what lessons have I learnt along this route ?

Bike-fit .... I am only 1,76, but my upper legs are ever so slightly longer, thus I fit better on a large than a Medium sized frame !  PLEASE invest in a professional bike fit, ideally get it set up such that you can take your prospective bike for a fitting session before you put money on the table - you may possibly be a Large ... but may just as well be an XL depending on the frame size of the brand you go for ...

NOTE - frame size is NOT just about seat height !!  Much more importantly it is about the position of the saddle once at the correct height, such that your knees are at the correct position to the pedals .... on a smaller frame (with the seat at the correct height) your knees are "in front" of the pedals at the 3-o-clock position .... BAD bike-fit, and it will result in buying the next bike ...

I have arthritis and my knees are not in a good nick.  So I started with a 3x10 gear set, then went for bigger gears at the back to get better climbing ratios .... I now only use those ratios for extreme climbs towards the end of my ride when I get tired .... My current bike has a 1x setup.  With a 30 in the front and the 50 at the back I have the same extreme climbing ratio as I had with the 3x10 setup with the larger gear at the back.  So you CAN get enough climbing out of a 1x .... BUT, this means I spin out at 40km/h .... not an issue if you are going to be riding trails .... not enough top end if you will be riding long tar sections .... starting out it may not be that easy to predict where and how you will be riding .... my recommendation would be a 2x setup for your first bike, providing you with the climbing gear and enough top-end ....

Tube-less is the way to go ... make sure your bike has rims and tires that can be used as tubeless.  Most dealers will do this conversion to make the deal ....

If you go hardtail (better spec, for less money) make sure you get an air shock up front ....

Dual suspension .... Bike Addict has a special on the "old" 2018 model Scott Spark range ,,, the 940 model is AWESOME.  :thumbup:   :clap:  top spec components, on an alu frame .... R50k bike now selling for R36k ....  the 2019 stock has arived, so the 2018 is marked down ... the paint scheme being the primary difference ....  Do your homework, this applies to most brands ...  Okay, I know I am now above the budget you mentioned .... but the R30k bikes should now be selling in your price range ...

In terms of the older Scott Spark they were prone to crack chainstays. I personally think in that budget you could find something newer and possibly better. I would look at something 2015 and up it will be old enough for the price to be good but not outdated in other aspects.

Looking at used dual suspensions is always tricky. Check for play in rear suspension get yourself a chain checker they are cheap and will save you. Ride it and feel if the suspension feels smooth check for marks on the stantions.

There's some good buys in used bikes but take your time and test until you find the 1.

Also middle age .... also recently started again .... on bike 4 in 3 years .... Okay, not that bad, kept bike two as my commuter, and recently bought my ultimate dual-suspension bike.

So what lessons have I learnt along this route ?

Bike-fit .... I am only 1,76, but my upper legs are ever so slightly longer, thus I fit better on a large than a Medium sized frame !  PLEASE invest in a professional bike fit, ideally get it set up such that you can take your prospective bike for a fitting session before you put money on the table - you may possibly be a Large ... but may just as well be an XL depending on the frame size of the brand you go for ...

NOTE - frame size is NOT just about seat height !!  Much more importantly it is about the position of the saddle once at the correct height, such that your knees are at the correct position to the pedals .... on a smaller frame (with the seat at the correct height) your knees are "in front" of the pedals at the 3-o-clock position .... BAD bike-fit, and it will result in buying the next bike ...

I have arthritis and my knees are not in a good nick.  So I started with a 3x10 gear set, then went for bigger gears at the back to get better climbing ratios .... I now only use those ratios for extreme climbs towards the end of my ride when I get tired .... My current bike has a 1x setup.  With a 30 in the front and the 50 at the back I have the same extreme climbing ratio as I had with the 3x10 setup with the larger gear at the back.  So you CAN get enough climbing out of a 1x .... BUT, this means I spin out at 40km/h .... not an issue if you are going to be riding trails .... not enough top end if you will be riding long tar sections .... starting out it may not be that easy to predict where and how you will be riding .... my recommendation would be a 2x setup for your first bike, providing you with the climbing gear and enough top-end ....

Tube-less is the way to go ... make sure your bike has rims and tires that can be used as tubeless.  Most dealers will do this conversion to make the deal ....

If you go hardtail (better spec, for less money) make sure you get an air shock up front ....

Dual suspension .... Bike Addict has a special on the "old" 2018 model Scott Spark range ,,, the 940 model is AWESOME.  :thumbup:   :clap:  top spec components, on an alu frame .... R50k bike now selling for R36k ....  the 2019 stock has arived, so the 2018 is marked down ... the paint scheme being the primary difference ....  Do your homework, this applies to most brands ...  Okay, I know I am now above the budget you mentioned .... but the R30k bikes should now be selling in your price range ...

Thanks for the advice. Must say the sizes are a bit confusing. On some of the sizing charts giant for example, 1.87 seems to be on the edge of large, more towards a XL. While in Merida it seems a large is larger. So I will definitely consider doing a fit.

I had my concerns on the 1x so will take your advice on 2x. Can always upgrade later.

Will definitely do a bit more homework before diving into a buy.

In terms of the older Scott Spark they were prone to crack chainstays. I personally think in that budget you could find something newer and possibly better. I would look at something 2015 and up it will be old enough for the price to be good but not outdated in other aspects.

Looking at used dual suspensions is always tricky. Check for play in rear suspension get yourself a chain checker they are cheap and will save you. Ride it and feel if the suspension feels smooth check for marks on the stantions.

There's some good buys in used bikes but take your time and test until you find the 1.

Thanks for the feedback. My gut feel also had 2015 in mind. Just looks like such good deals on some of the older bikes like the 2013. If I go for used I will insist on a LBS first checking it out.

Hi, welcome and enjoy the ride.

I am not one for all the tech stuff as I will never get out of the rabbit hole. There will always be something "new and better" so what I applied to my choice of steed was this:

• When I look at the bike does it inspire me and do I want to jump on it and go ride?
  • If yes then....can I afford it?
  • If yes then.....is it versatile enough to do most types of riding for me
  • If yes then....go for a bike fit and get an educated opinion as to the geometry and size of that specific bike in other words....is it a fit for my geometry :D
  • If yes...buy it!

I do lots of weekend riding, I am a Mamil and a weekend warrior that can only afford one bike and the above has helped me buy the bikes I have owned. One was a Merida hardtail (L) and now I have a Tallboy 2 (L).

The Merida was a carbon racing bike and I was too slow for it. The Tallboy is perfect and I do everything on it. I bought it secondhand and have in the meantime added a dropper and converted to 1X12.

Good luck and enjoy.

I'm the exact same height and weight as you - obviously leg length etc also comes into play - and can ride either large or x-large in most brands (both perfectly comfortably). Some brands - like Santa Cruz - want to make their riders feel a bit bigger than they really are so an x-large is the only option.

In my opinion Giant is the best for value for money and guaranteed support in the longer run. If you have R25k to spend then consider buying a lower end, but new, Anthem so that you get the lifetime warranty. Their alu frames are only marginally heavier than the lightest carbon frames around so you really aren't losing out much going that route.

If you decide to get a used bike - and you're relatively new to higher end bikes - then just be careful as a suspension service (front and rear) can very quickly set you back R5k+ assuming only a few minor issues and drivetrains can also run into the thousands if the chain is slightly too worn. Just make sure it is a bike that has been properly maintained and recently serviced - if you're careful then 2nd hand is often a very good option.

Hi, welcome and enjoy the ride.

I am not one for all the tech stuff as I will never get out of the rabbit hole. There will always be something "new and better" so what I applied to my choice of steed was this:

• When I look at the bike does it inspire me and do I want to jump on it and go ride?
  • If yes then....can I afford it?
  • If yes then.....is it versatile enough to do most types of riding for me
  • If yes then....go for a bike fit and get an educated opinion as to the geometry and size of that specific bike in other words....is it a fit for my geometry :D
  • If yes...buy it!

I do lots of weekend riding, I am a Mamil and a weekend warrior that can only afford one bike and the above has helped me buy the bikes I have owned. One was a Merida hardtail (L) and now I have a Tallboy 2 (L).

The Merida was a carbon racing bike and I was too slow for it. The Tallboy is perfect and I do everything on it. I bought it secondhand and have in the meantime added a dropper and converted to 1X12.

Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks man. Must say I have been eyeing a Tallboy with mouth watering. There was an XL for a while on bikehub but just could not get myself to commit as I knew even less at the time.

They got one on bikebay but just seems a bit old for secondhand?

https://bikebay.co.za/collections/mountain-bikes/products/2011-santa-cruz-tallboy

I'm the exact same height and weight as you - obviously leg length etc also comes into play - and can ride either large or x-large in most brands (both perfectly comfortably). Some brands - like Santa Cruz - want to make their riders feel a bit bigger than they really are so an x-large is the only option.

In my opinion Giant is the best for value for money and guaranteed support in the longer run. If you have R25k to spend then consider buying a lower end, but new, Anthem so that you get the lifetime warranty. Their alu frames are only marginally heavier than the lightest carbon frames around so you really aren't losing out much going that route.

If you decide to get a used bike - and you're relatively new to higher end bikes - then just be careful as a suspension service (front and rear) can very quickly set you back R5k+ assuming only a few minor issues and drivetrains can also run into the thousands if the chain is slightly too worn. Just make sure it is a bike that has been properly maintained and recently serviced - if you're careful then 2nd hand is often a very good option.

Thanks for that. From my googling it also seems to me as if Santa Cruz and Giant were two of the brands where I can go for large or XL. But will still do the fit thing as recommended.

Giant anthem is the other one I have been eyeing and really like. New they just a bit out of budget but considering your input that I can easily rack up an additional couple of k’s, maybe should just bite the bullet. New the only I probably could consider is the Anthem 3

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/anthem-29er-3

Thanks man. Must say I have been eyeing a Tallboy with mouth watering. There was an XL for a while on bikehub but just could not get myself to commit as I knew even less at the time.

They got one on bikebay but just seems a bit old for secondhand?

https://bikebay.co.za/collections/mountain-bikes/products/2011-santa-cruz-tallboy

Yip, I would not go for that one. I bought my bike from a friend so it made the purchase easier. My view is not always the value for money or sensible buy view....Does the bike inspire me, yes or no. That is it. That is why I will not ride a Giant, the bike does not inspire me despite the fact that it is a really sensible option :ph34r:

If you want new, this deal can't really be beat at the moment. Don't think there are many left though. Lot of bike for your money and nothing to upgrade.

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/scott-29er-dual-suspension/products/scott-spark-950-2018?variant=13703609450580

Shimano drive train and brakes, decent Fox suspension and even a dropper. If you can squeeze your budget, don't even think twice.

Archived