The Veganism Thread

Odinson

No person with a functioning brain stem has ever bought a veggie patty thinking it's ground up animal flesh or bought a carton of soy milk thinking it's cow lactation. 

The EU has banned the labeling of plant milks as 'milk' for years now and guess what, the plant milk market share keeps on growing. 

This is actually flattering to the plant-based producers, because it shows how serious big (animal) ag takes the rise of plant-based diets and how they're using their dollars and influence to fund these bills and lobbying actions. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Champagne or Port I guess this is fair.

It's not like Champagne as Champagne is a region. That's why no one else can call their fizz Champagne.

It's not like Champagne as Champagne is a region. That's why no one else can call their fizz Champagne.

Conceptually though it’s the same.

In all honesty why would the vegetarian market want to be associated with a meat based product. Burger or sausage are meat based. Call it something else to distinguish it. Why align as a meat substitute.

No person with a functioning brain stem has ever bought a veggie patty thinking it's ground up animal flesh or bought a carton of soy milk thinking it's cow lactation. 

The EU has banned the labeling of plant milks as 'milk' for years now and guess what, the plant milk market share keeps on growing. 

This is actually flattering to the plant-based producers, because it shows how serious big (animal) ag takes the rise of plant-based diets and how they're using their dollars and influence to fund these bills and lobbying actions. 

What do they call it?

What do they call it?

"[insert plant base here] drink". So, soy drink, almond drink, etc. 

Conceptually though it’s the same.

In all honesty why would the vegetarian market want to be associated with a meat based product. Burger or sausage are meat based. Call it something else to distinguish it. Why align as a meat substitute.

'Cause they'd like to lure people away from eating corpses to their products and familiarity in regards to taste, texture, food type ingredient, are all important in positioning the products. It's that simple. 

I once bought Quorn “chicken nuggets” thinking that they were normal chicken nuggets, and my brain functions pretty normally (I have been tested) thank you very much!! I did figure out mistake as it tasted really crap.

My view on your question is that you should label food items accurately. Misleading people about they are eating leaves a worse rate in ones mouth than Quorn nuggets.

Edited by Patchelicious

'Cause they'd like to lure people away from eating corpses to their products and familiarity in regards to taste, texture, food type ingredient, are all important in positioning the products. It's that simple.

Surely if eating a ‘corpse’ as you put it, grosses one out, then eating something that looks and tastes like a corpse should also gross you out.

I once bought Quorn “chicken nuggets” thinking that they were normal chicken nuggets, and my brain functions pretty normally (I have been tested) thank you very much!! I did figure out mistake as it tasted really crap.

My view on your question is that you should label food items accurately. Misleading people about they are eating leaves a worse rate in ones mouth than Quorn nuggets.

This I agree with. If its fake chicken - don't label it as chicken. Its just not. Call it something else.

But the above question is should one (for the sake of continuity) not be allowed to call them nuggets either? 

This I agree with. If its fake chicken - don't label it as chicken. Its just not. Call it something else.

But the above question is should one (for the sake of continuity) not be allowed to call them nuggets either? 

Yes you should.

Surely if eating a ‘corpse’ as you put it, grosses one out, then eating something that looks and tastes like a corpse should also gross you out.

Where was a gross factor mentioned? 

Was probably residual grossness that seeped out of the squirrel sushi enema's.

eaters?! I meant eaters.....

Edited by Imploder

The grossness of what meat eaters do, is inferred when referring to meat as eating corpses and on a lot of vegan marketing material (I wont refer to it as propaganda)

You know this, I know this, you know that I know that you know this.

Regardless, if we zoom out of the word 'gross' to try and avoid a pointless semantic argument, the question still stands. If the whole idea is that one can't bring oneself to eat an animal, then surely its a bit weird trying to make one's diets taste, look and feel as close as you can to animals flesh?

It like like shagging a Real Doll?

Are you not a real vegan if you can admit you liked meat burgers in your previous life but now can enjoy the 'same' thing without all the environmental, animal and ethical wrongs being slapped in your roll?

Are you not a real vegan if you can admit you liked meat burgers in your previous life but now can enjoy the 'same' thing without all the environmental, animal and ethical wrongs being slapped in your roll?

That is definitely not what I said.

I am ASKING: " If the whole idea is that one can't bring oneself to eat an animal, then surely its a bit weird trying to make one's diets taste, look and feel as close as you can to animals flesh?" Its not an attack, nor an attempt to discredit it, are all questions about veganism from non-vegans seen as attacks?

Just like how those protesters used a fake dog to try and gross out non-vegans? My point has merit if you dont feel like answering it, then don't, but please don't try and turn my questions into something that they are not. Ironically this is inline with my question about vegan foods being made to taste like flesh is all about.

Edit: Here is an example, I wont eat plant based Roasted Dog Shank, because I wont eat real dog. So if eating real cow is unpalatable, surely eating fake cow should illicit a similar feeling?

Edited by Patchelicious

The grossness of what meat eaters do, is inferred when referring to meat as eating corpses and on a lot of vegan marketing material (I wont refer to it as propaganda)

You know this, I know this, you know that I know that you know this.

Regardless, if we zoom out of the word 'gross' to try and avoid a pointless semantic argument, the question still stands. If the whole idea is that one can't bring oneself to eat an animal, then surely its a bit weird trying to make one's diets taste, look and feel as close as you can to animals flesh?

It like like shagging a Real Doll?

Let's unpack this. The use of the word 'corpse' was intentional in the context of the discussion, i.e. to draw attention to the plethora of euphemisms in common parlance surrounding animal products. 

The overwhelming majority of vegans today are ex-omnivores. Those folks, myself included, didn't wake up one morning and found the taste/smell of animal flesh disgusting. Rather, it was waking up to the knowledge that the unnecessary systemic exploitation, enslavement and slaughter of animals is morally repugnant.

Thus, if one can have a meal that tastes and smells the same as one containing animal product, but without having to have someone jab a knife in a restrained animal's throat, then why not? 

My understanding of where a 'steak' comes from disgusts me, hence I find the smell and sight of it off-putting, but it doesn't mean I'm some cry-baby about it. My day is littered with the sights and smell of dead animals, but you do what you've got to do.