Cradle Clean-up Sat 8 Dec 2018 - please help!

Fat Boab

I was recently contacted by a Hubber, Glassrep@gmail.com, who for the past year has been clearing the road cycle lane in the Cradle, here in JHB. He has asked me to help by clearing the Caves Road, so challenge accepted!

If you ride regularly in the Cradle, and appreciate the lane being kept clear of over-grown bushes, glass and sand etc, then can I ask you to give a couple of hours of your time this Saturday 8 Dec 2018?

Meeting point is in the car park of Kromdraai Café for a quick briefing at 0900 and then we'll depart for the Caves Road. Please bring brooms, loppers, bow saw, chainsaw, shovels etc.

If you can't make 0900 then just pitch on the Caves Road when you can and get busy!

Excellent idea!!! 
Thank you for posting. I won't be able to make Saturday but I will definitely join you next time.

How often would you like to do this? Not Cradle side this weekend, but will gladly assist.

Can do so on the 15th?

Well the originator of the initiative, Glassrep@gmail.com, has spent the last year doing the cradle loop itself, so I thought to see people's appetite and go from there, or pass the baton on, or..... 

I'll feedback after Saturday on the morning's activities and we can review thereafter.....

Well the originator of the initiative, Glassrep@gmail.com, has spent the last year doing the cradle loop itself, so I thought to see people's appetite and go from there, or pass the baton on, or..... 

I'll feedback after Saturday on the morning's activities and we can review thereafter.....

Shot Fat B, hopefully there are some more willing peeps.

And thanks to mr Glassrep, let's pay it forward.

I would happily have helped if we were still there. We rode thousands of KM's in the Cradle.

So feedback as requested and promised.....

At least 6 people pitched consisting of Hubbers and others, and we spent around 1.5 to 2 hours clearing the road to the caves, principally the hedges on the left hand side returning from the caves from Makita to the top of the rise before the willows. I rode it yesterday and it was quite pleasant to be able to ride well inside the bike lane without having to dodge branches. Depending on rain, that section should be good for a few months.

My mate and I also spent a bit of time sweeping glass from sections of the road from the rhino circle up to the Kloofzicht circle. But there's still plenty of glass elsewhere....

I'm happy to put the call out again in the New Year and tackle another section. In the interim if anyone feels so inclined, 30 mins, after your cycle, with a broom deals with a surprising amount of glass and is a great core work out!

Thanks to all who pitched and gave of their time. And also thanks to those cyclists who acknowledged our efforts on the day with some kind words. We didn't do it for those words, but they did add to the day!