Help identify this Raleigh frame

AtoomDemoon

Good day,

When I first started road cycling a while back I got a second hand bike from a mate's dad. Now that I am all consumed and obsessed (as I usually get) I want to know every single thing I can about my bike in order to also improve on it's foundations.

I have quite a lot of information about every part except the frame (Or some of the frame) and the handlebar.

If anyone can help or even better provide documents with details that I can use.

Also just to point out I am building an excel sheet for the details to help me in my build restomod process.

Attached is the bike, a Raleigh 7000 (RC?) from between 2006-2007 I think.

Thank you!

post-138155-0-86738300-1543907553_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't give you any specifics, but you are correct, it is a 2006 model and it is the Raleigh 7000, not RC7000.  The carbon frames never had the RC in front of the number.  The RC 7000 was an alu frame with carbon seat stays and a carbon fork, the RC6000 was a pure alu frame with blended welds and a carbon fork.  The little brother was the RC3000 was a stock standard alu frame with a carbon fork.

I know this because I bought my first road bike (Raleigh RC3000) early in 2007 and I remember drooling at its bigger brother (the one in your picture) that had the same paint job...  The top of the range Raleigh at the time was a yellow "Team edition" and the 7000 was the next one in line.

Can't give you any specifics, but you are correct, it is a 2006 model and it is the Raleigh 7000, not RC7000.  The carbon frames never had the RC in front of the number.  The RC 7000 was an alu frame with carbon seat stays and a carbon fork, the RC6000 was a pure alu frame with blended welds and a carbon fork.  The little brother was the RC3000 was a stock standard alu frame with a carbon fork.

I know this because I bought my first road bike (Raleigh RC3000) early in 2007 and I remember drooling at its bigger brother (the one in your picture) that had the same paint job...  The top of the range Raleigh at the time was a yellow "Team edition" and the 7000 was the next one in line.

Wow thanks for the clarification on the ranging and an awesome reply!

Really appreciate any information. 

Rudi is not quite correct. The yellow one he was referring to is the 2008 model that replaced this one. This was the 2007 model. This came in 3 versions, 6000 (105), 7000 (Ultegra) and Team (Dura Ace) These particular frames had a tendency to crack at the point where the BB and chainstay join. They were recalled for that reason and were replaced free of charge with the red and black Team edition which formed the basis of the 2008 range.

I had some discussions over this matter with the designer of these frames. Not all of them cracked and those that did were limited to the carbon asthetic layer. But there was still a risk of failure which was why they were recalled. If I was you, I would keep an eye out for evidence of a crack.

Rudi is not quite correct. The yellow one he was referring to is the 2008 model that replaced this one. This was the 2007 model. This came in 3 versions, 6000 (105), 7000 (Ultegra) and Team (Dura Ace) These particular frames had a tendency to crack at the point where the BB and chainstay join. They were recalled for that reason and were replaced free of charge with the red and black Team edition which formed the basis of the 2008 range.

I had some discussions over this matter with the designer of these frames. Not all of them cracked and those that did were limited to the carbon asthetic layer. But there was still a risk of failure which was why they were recalled. If I was you, I would keep an eye out for evidence of a crack.

I have heard some of this regarding the crack, thank you.

Mine has done the Argus, 947 and more.So far seems fine, although only heard about it after the races so will keep an eye on it. Have been looking for equivalent carbon aeros as well.

I bought exactly the same frame in 2015 for a build up. I've since done just in races almost 1000km's. (2 x 94.7, Tour Durban, Amashova, 2 x Ride for Sight, 2 x Tshwane Classic and a couple more smaller races). Must say I'm very happy with the frame, but now you guys made me worry, will definitely keep an eye on that spot. But still a very good looking bike, will probably ride it till the wheels come off  :whistling:

I bought exactly the same frame in 2015 for a build up. I've since done just in races almost 1000km's. (2 x 94.7, Tour Durban, Amashova, 2 x Ride for Sight, 2 x Tshwane Classic and a couple more smaller races). Must say I'm very happy with the frame, but now you guys made me worry, will definitely keep an eye on that spot. But still a very good looking bike, will probably ride it till the wheels come off  :whistling:

It is very good looking, I still want to know what the frame + fork weight is as well as the handlebar that I have on. Don't want to strip it and rebuild completely as it is quite the mission but those weights would help me in the rebuild process.

Nice list there btw.

It is very good looking, I still want to know what the frame + fork weight is as well as the handlebar that I have on. Don't want to strip it and rebuild completely as it is quite the mission but those weights would help me in the rebuild process.

Nice list there btw.

I agree. One of the best looking out there. I had one, but it was too small for me. I sold the Ultegra and built it up with Campagnolo Centaur.

The same frame is also sold as a Karbona. If you Google the website, you'll find the weight there.

Edited by Eugene

I bought exactly the same frame in 2015 for a build up. I've since done just in races almost 1000km's. (2 x 94.7, Tour Durban, Amashova, 2 x Ride for Sight, 2 x Tshwane Classic and a couple more smaller races). Must say I'm very happy with the frame, but now you guys made me worry, will definitely keep an eye on that spot. But still a very good looking bike, will probably ride it till the wheels come off :whistling:

It was explained to me that the frame has carbon layer around the BB which is only there for asthetic purposes. It was this layer that cracked, so structurally the frame should be sound. It was recalled as a safety precaution just in case there was a failure.

Wasn't this frame build by dedacciai and just branded as raleigh frames?

This is what I thought as well as it is mimilair to the Atleta and Scuro frames, but a representative from Dedacciai told me it was only the chainstays and fork that was made by them.

This is what I thought as well as it is mimilair to the Atleta and Scuro frames, but a representative from Dedacciai told me it was only the chainstays and fork that was made by them.

That is a monoque frame, one piece mold, in my opinion the stays is part of the frame.

Wasn't this frame build by dedacciai and just branded as raleigh frames?

Correct, that's why the cockpit was also all Dedacciai.

That is a monoque frame, one piece mold, in my opinion the stays is part of the frame.

Would have to take it up with them again as they were quite adamant that it is only the stays and fork that belong to them.

Would have to take it up with them again as they were quite adamant that it is only the stays and fork that belong to them.

I think that it was on the aluminium Raleigh models - carbon fork and seat stays.  A while ago I was looking at the carbon 3000 and did (eventually) track the manufacturer but I can't remember who.  At a push I would go with Dedacciai but it may have been someone else.  There may be someone left at Scott SA who may shed light on the matter.