For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this baby come into Farnborough Airshow many years ago. It was, obviously, ******* massive!

When it displayed, the deal I believe was that the owners would supply the plane if the Airshow would pay for the fuel! I'm sure that was quite a bill.

It took off and immediately banked hard right (due to the shape of the "airspace" over Farnborough), so slowly and so steeply that I honestly couldn't believe it would stay airbourne.....

(1) GIANT OF THE SKIES - ANTONOV 225 AT FARNBOROUGH 1989 - YouTube

Our dealership is right under the approach to ORT. Probably around 1km from the start of the runway.

I often get to see the BA A380 coming in, however I'm usually not directly underneath it but looking at it from an angle.

Earlier this morning it came over when I was outside on the other end of the dealership, directly underneath. Man what a site. Almost felt like I could jump up and touch it.

On 3/5/2022 at 7:00 PM, SwissVan said:

Some news on another disaster…… MH370

Saw it the other day.   Do you think they will go out again?

On 3/2/2022 at 10:41 AM, Frosty said:

Some stunning photos amongst the list shown.

B7163FDA-C25E-4469-ACF3-B5BED1C271DC.png.ce01601eca7fccb2e887d5bc922bc87c.png

https://m.facebook.com/326742184461223/posts/1348559285612836/?d=n

This is really sad but not exactly unsurprising. I do not understand why the machine was not shifted out of Ukraine the minute the Russians crossed the border. It is a strategic heavy lifter of note. It is not logistically hard to move. It is just big………lots of fuel, fly to any recognised freight destination in the west and park. It really does not appear that the Russians have any air superiority. In any event, there has been a lot of ball dropping over this invasion……….sorry, military exercise.
Even now, each time we fly back to Kuwait we land with sufficient fuel to get out to at least Dubai.

The Boss will scramble at a moments notice if required!

27 minutes ago, Spokey said:

This is really sad but not exactly unsurprising. I do not understand why the machine was not shifted out of Ukraine the minute the Russians crossed the border. It is a strategic heavy lifter of note. It is not logistically hard to move. It is just big………lots of fuel, fly to any recognised freight destination in the west and park. It really does not appear that the Russians have any air superiority. In any event, there has been a lot of ball dropping over this invasion……….sorry, military exercise.
Even now, each time we fly back to Kuwait we land with sufficient fuel to get out to at least Dubai.

The Boss will scramble at a moments notice if required!

Some still wonder why such an important national symbol was grounded in the first place. Ukraine state arms manufacturer and parent company of Antonov Ukroboronprom has an answer:

According to the director of Antonov Airlines, one of the engines was dismantled for repairs and the plane wasn’t able to take off that day, although the appropriate commands were given.

Currently it is impossible to assess the plane’s condition and the possibility and cost of its restoring due the lack of access to the aircraft as the control over the airport is taken by the Russian occupiers.

35 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Some still wonder why such an important national symbol was grounded in the first place. Ukraine state arms manufacturer and parent company of Antonov Ukroboronprom has an answer:

According to the director of Antonov Airlines, one of the engines was dismantled for repairs and the plane wasn’t able to take off that day, although the appropriate commands were given.

Currently it is impossible to assess the plane’s condition and the possibility and cost of its restoring due the lack of access to the aircraft as the control over the airport is taken by the Russian occupiers.

Hey Frosty, thanks for that, so sad. As an aside………one of the engines was dismantled. I wonder if they had a 5 engine ferry policy or capability. I flew DC4’s and DC8’s in the last century and early part of this one. On both aeries we had a 3 engine ferry capability (one out and secured of course)

It is a great shame this beast is broken, I truly hope  that in time she will be made airworthy again. The technology exists……it is simply $$$$$$