Sorry, yes see it now

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Wow….

So if I understand correctly a substantial piece of blade actually penetrated the cabin?

That must have been incredibly scary and very fortunate that no one was hurt.

The vibration from the rotating propeller must have been quite serious during the time it took the crew to shut down the engine.

Of course there must have been some serious vibration, but it seems the incident occurred either on approach or touch down which might have reduced the vibration, or at least the amount of time before the engine could be shut down

But either way, everyone on the plane would’ve needed a change of undies for sure...

Edited by RoddieJ

1 hour ago, RoddieJ said:

Of course there must have been some serious vibration, but it seems the incident occurred either on approach or touch down which might have reduced the vibration, or at least the amount of time before the engine could be shut down

But either way, everyone on the plane would’ve needed a change of undies for sure...

Me thinks AVIS car rental in Upington made a killing after that. Everybody decided to drive home.

20 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Just about all aircraft with props mounted on the wings have a skin doubler mod. If you zoom in on the first picture you will see the fuselage has an extra layer right where the hole is. Clearly it didn't work at all. 

Useless info-jet engines have a similar mod called a fan containment mod. They have thicker layers in the cowling incase a fan blade let's go. I have seen those work very well(well not in person but pictures). 

The doubler on the fuselage is an ice shield to protect the fuselage from ice that gets thrown off the prop blades, also works for small debris like stones that could also be kicked up by the prop during ground operation. That’s also why there is no cabin window directly in line with the prop…. Luckily it was a composite blade, can you imagine if it was an aluminum blade…..

learnt something new, Interestingly those prop blades are a combination of wood and carbon fiber with nickel cobalt leading edges…..

https://www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/pro_blades.htm

Key differences vs. structural composite blades

Aerospace grade carbon fiber combined with highly compressed beech/spruce wood core has a higher strength than aerospace aluminum with no corrosion and fatigue limit.
The MT-blade has no spar for the load carrying core.
By this, FOD on leading edge or trailing edge as well as the blade mid area can not create a structural damage requiring the replacement of a blade. 

MT-Propeller natural composite blades are certified for unlimited life and can be repaired in the field or at 60+ overhaul shops worldwide.

27 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Thanks bud. Won't be here as much anymore, the new job takes a lot more of my time. 

Where you working now, still in aviation?
sorri if I missed this earlier

On 1/7/2022 at 8:31 PM, SwissVan said:

Where you working now, still in aviation?
sorri if I missed this earlier

Nope, no more playing with planes for me. I'm too worried about the future of aviation jobs in this country and I don't want to leave. Besides, I had a good job at SAAT and was paid well, hard to get paid that well at any other AMO. 

I now find myself perusing another passion, financial planning. I was lucky enough to get a job with momentum doing financial planning. I got retrenched middle September and started here 1st October so I was very fortunate unlike most of my ex-colleagues who are still jobless unfortunately. But I also kinda saw the light so started making plans before the inevitable happened and I did all my interviews and psychometric exams before getting booted. I got offered the job and accepted in August some time and just informed them when I was able to start. 

19 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Nope, no more playing with planes for me. I'm too worried about the future of aviation jobs in this country and I don't want to leave. Besides, I had a good job at SAAT and was paid well, hard to get paid that well at any other AMO. 

I now find myself perusing another passion, financial planning. I was lucky enough to get a job with momentum doing financial planning. I got retrenched middle September and started here 1st October so I was very fortunate unlike most of my ex-colleagues who are still jobless unfortunately. But I also kinda saw the light so started making plans before the inevitable happened and I did all my interviews and psychometric exams before getting booted. I got offered the job and accepted in August some time and just informed them when I was able to start. 

Congrats and good luck with the new career 👍

10 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Congrats, good luck, thats a tough industry to get started in, it can be rewarding, but takes time to build up to it.

I spent 2 years at Liberty, turned out it was not for me.

• 2 weeks later...

This guy . . . I can't think of another YT insta-celebrity who has kicked up a bigger poo-storm to the extent that the FAA is looking to burn him at the stake.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

This guy . . . I can't think of another YT insta-celebrity who has kicked up a bigger poo-storm to the extent that the FAA is looking to burn him at the stake.

We need a WTF button

On 1/19/2022 at 4:48 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

I hope every license he has PPL, skydiving, car etc gets revoked

1 minute ago, Quagga said:

I hope every license he has PPL, skydiving, car etc gets revoked

I'm guessing he's likely to get "intimately acquainted" with the inside of a prison cell in the not too distant future. 

Pun intended.

Who of you are aware of this fight between Qatar Airways and Airbus?  I must say if a customer pisses a supplier off to such an extend that the supplier cancels the order of 50 Airbus A320Neo aircraft they you really must have ticked them off.

6 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm guessing he's likely to get "intimately acquainted" with the inside of a prison cell in the not too distant future. 

Pun intended.

Or he will meet his maker sometime soon