Dropper Post reviews

T_Boss

Hi all,

Considering a dropper post for my hardtail XC bike to help with those sketch descents, and when I go play a little on the smaller jumps at the bike park.

I absolutely hate any amount of suspensions pump, which is the main reason I still stick with hardtails even for marathon lenght rides. I will take the rolling resistance of a plus tire over the losses in a rear sus that doesnt fully lock out any day.

So my question is, at the more budget end of the spectrum, R2500 to R3500, how well do these dropper posts lock out? I rode a mates bike with a crank brothers dropper post, and it was properly solid, but a little outside my budgets at the moment. 

What is something like the Lyne components advertised on the Hub like? worth it, or should I save up for a top end dropper post? 

Thanks for the link. Guess I should have searched

That said, have just read through the entire thread, and my specific question isnt actually answered. 

There is one post which mentions lateral movement, and compares it to the Fox saying the fox is better..... So that doesnt really help. At 4 times the price, of course the fox is better.....

But my question is, if I dont think the lockout on a RS monarch is locked enough, am I going to be able to ride on a Lyne dropper post, or will it drive me mad? I would rather then wait a few months and then fork out on a Crank Bros or Fox dropper post

lock out as in lock movement up and down ie telescopically, or laterally ie side to side with a bit of wiggle at the nose of the saddle?

If the former, then yes. They all stay put unless there's something wrong with the cable tension or the post itself. Lyne and Rapide are no different in this respect to the RS and Fox. If there is telescopic movement on the RS when you're not pressing the lever, it is most likely due to it needing a service or new seals. 

If the latter, then I'm afraid it's something you're going ot have to put up with, but in my 5 years of riding with a dropper (KS, RS, Giant x 2) I've never noticed this movement out on the trail, ever. 

DO NOT USE CRANK BROS DROPPERS. They are better than their previous paperweight (that's all it was good for) but they still don't have a lekker reputation. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I can live with the slight side to side play, and understand the need for it. As long as the "cheaper" versions dont bob up and down (Telescopic movement), then its all good. Just wait for pay day then, and i will be ordering my Lyne dropper post...

I can live with the slight side to side play, and understand the need for it. As long as the "cheaper" versions dont bob up and down (Telescopic movement), then its all good. Just wait for pay day then, and i will be ordering my Lyne dropper post...

any dropper that has telescopic movement without depressing the lever is either:

In need of a service

In need of new seals (RS and other hydraulically actuated droppers)

Is shaite

None of the ones on the market at the moment suffer from being shaite. Some are cheaper / easier to service, some are more wallet-friendly, but none of them drop without depressing the lever unless there's something wrong. 

The seatposts that DO do that, are not droppers. They're things like the THUDBUSTER, which has an elastomer spring and linkage to "remove trail chatter" on long rides with lots of corrugations.