Wider Bars - Advice needed

Sbloomer

Had an issue with bar width when I got into MTB a year ago. Did an awful lot of research, paid for bike fitting etc. finally got it down to a couple of points.(I have a broken neck and other issues that make a good bar width absolutely essential) Firstly, bar width relates to shoulder width. I found that doing a comfortable pushup gives a good indication of required width. Do a pushup with a tape measure between your hands. Distance between the outside your hands approximates a good bar width for comfortable width. Second issue is the stem length. Assuming your seating position is good for you, a good start position relies on the nose of the saddle. Put the point of your elbow on the nose of the saddle, extend your arm and hand towards the handlebar. The furthest point you can reach with your fingertip whilst keeping your elbow in contact with the saddle nose is where your handlebar should be. Sounds a bit simple, but its about a good seating position that keeps your hands, back and neck in the most stable and comfortable position. I went from 640mm bars and 90mm stem to 780 bars and a 35mm stem. Also no more hand and back pain.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an issue with bar width when I got into MTB a year ago. Did an awful lot of research, paid for bike fitting etc. finally got it down to a couple of points.(I have a broken neck and other issues that make a good bar width absolutely essential) Firstly, bar width relates to shoulder width. I found that doing a comfortable pushup gives a good indication of required width. Do a pushup with a tape measure between your hands. Distance between the outside your hands approximates a good bar width for comfortable width. Second issue is the stem length. Assuming your seating position is good for you, a good start position relies on the nose of the saddle. Put the point of your elbow on the nose of the saddle, extend your arm and hand towards the handlebar. The furthest point you can reach with your fingertip whilst keeping your elbow in contact with the saddle nose is where your handlebar should be. Sounds a bit simple, but its about a good seating position that keeps your hands, back and neck in the most stable and comfortable position. I went from 640mm bars and 90mm stem to 780 bars and a 35mm stem. Also no more hand and back pain.

Interesting ....

I have also gone through the bike fit thing, and ended with a setup that works for ME.

Just checked, and my tip-of-saddle to bar length is markedly longer than your guide ....

Humans dont all have the same "ratios" in terms of arm, leg and torso lengths .... and thus each fitment is very subtly different from the next.  Add to this the need of the one sit more upright than the next and the settings becomes even more personal ....

Nothing like a bike fit with a professional that takes the time to first KNOW their client, the medical history, riding expectations, etc etc .. before even starting with the settings on the bike.

Armpies says I'm a garden gnome. I prefer to be called, per 1 of the females of our species, the human tripod... That being said, it is obvious that I'm vertically challenged. Bar = 795mm, stem 35. Bike=2015 SC 5010, med. My height = 3ft4(per armpies), or 1.66m (per vitality).

Push ups for me don't work at 795mm,but forcing the bike into a corner with that bar does. For me.

Point I'm trying to make is that there's a lot of variables in the fit equation.

ChrisF and Patensie - agree 100%. Its a very individual thing, depends on how you want to ride, what your specific body shape is etc. I should have added that Im an old fart at 51, so that also plays a role. But you have to start somewhere - I do agree that a pro fitment is best. Not everyone has that privilege though, so some rough guides is the bet that I can offer. Mind you, I think I own 5 different length MTB stems though.......????

Put the point of your elbow on the nose of the saddle, extend your arm and hand towards the handlebar. The furthest point you can reach with your fingertip whilst keeping your elbow in contact with the saddle nose is where your handlebar should be.

Hell, if I did that my bar would be right on top of my steerer tube...

ChrisF and Patensie - agree 100%. Its a very individual thing, depends on how you want to ride, what your specific body shape is etc. I should have added that Im an old fart at 51, so that also plays a role. But you have to start somewhere - I do agree that a pro fitment is best. Not everyone has that privilege though, so some rough guides is the bet that I can offer. Mind you, I think I own 5 different length MTB stems though.......

NEE MAN !!

I am a YOUNG 50 year old .... dont tell me I am going to age that much in the next 7 months ....

But yes ... we do ride differently to the young guns ....  :thumbup:

The VERY good news is that there are MANY people significantly older than us on the trails that still ride GOOD !!!  

Hell, if I did that my bar would be right on top of my steerer tube...

I am wondering if Sllab does not possibly have his saddle way to far forward .... or possibly even an undersized frame (like my previous purchase...) ..... or maybe he has very long arms .....

Also struggling with the rule of thumb.

With elbow against nose of saddle my fingers are mid way up my stem

Also struggling with the rule of thumb.

With elbow against nose of saddle my fingers are mid way up my stem

How small are your bikes? If I put my elbow on the nose of mt saddle, I am about 15 to 20mm short of the steerer.

My Measurements

From tip of saddle to bars is 600mm 

Center of crank to top saddle 800mm

Stem 100mm

Bars 730mm bars. I came down from 780mm on my previous bike.

Seems OK to me, good for 200 to 300km at a time. on a Large frame (seems like a very small large though).

So rule of thumb is out of the window I think.

How small are your bikes? If I put my elbow on the nose of mt saddle, I am about 15 to 20mm short of the steerer.

My Measurements

From tip of saddle to bars is 600mm

Center of crank to top saddle 800mm

Stem 100mm

Bars 730mm bars. I came down from 780mm on my previous bike.

Seems OK to me, good for 200 to 300km at a time. on a Large frame (seems like a very small large though).

So rule of thumb is out of the window I think.

Seem to have caused some consternation here????. For completeness, I am 1.82 tall and I ride a large frame Cannondale. 740mm from centre of crank to top of saddle, 530mm from nose of saddle to front of handlebar. That said, it is a 785 wide bar with 35mm stem. As an old guy, I cant ride low and stretched out like the youngsers - back, neck and shoulders cant take it. I used to ride the same bike with a 670 bar and 110 stem (As it came from Cannondale new) and it killed me. So I went with the wide bar / short stem route to take weight off the lower back and wrists. The original question was about going to a wide bar and what the effect was - I reckon that my experiment was pretty extreme and it works well. Im sure that the original poster can find a happy medium somewhere inbetween my sit up and beg style and a flat racing style - depends on his body type I guess.

Edited by Sllab

NEE MAN !!

I am a YOUNG 50 year old .... dont tell me I am going to age that much in the next 7 months ....

But yes ... we do ride differently to the young guns .... :thumbup:

The VERY good news is that there are MANY people significantly older than us on the trails that still ride GOOD !!!

Damn right Chris! Plan to ride for at least another 30 years! Fatbike with a Bogus painted frame is next, single speed????. Doesnt matter how we ride, as long as we ride!

Time for a bigger frame???

seriously doubt that I am borderline between medium and large. I went with a large, it's only an inch longer in seat tube than my previous medium but more reach and longer wheelbase.

Everything is lekker comfy with no pain just think the bar could be even wider.

Edited by Me rida my bicycle