Cyclists on the Franschhoek pass

Titleist

I'm not 100% sure why the OP got flamed so badly. Maybe he should have stopped for a chat but a lot of the time (as has been mentioned) the can end in ugliness. Why can't he bring it up here. Maybe if some people think about it a bit more, may be one person will mention ti if they see it in a dodgy stretch of road and maybe one more rider won't die on our roads just riding a bike. 

I wouldn't ride some of those narrow, busy roads in a group anyway. As a precaution I stay away from roads like Constantia Nek even though they are great to ride. The danger is real enough in South Africa, the threads and news reports show this so why not take a few decision that might reduce this. I have a new born and to leave her with out a father because of hobby or a pig headed view point is lunacy, self centred and cruel. I can still ride my bike, do my training, do my intervals and the rest in a safe manner, in a way that minimises my potential risk and (hopefully) let's me know my loved ones as they grow. But bottom line is that cars are harder than bikes or humans and riding on that pass with the blind spots and narrowness of the road just a stupid idea because of all the factors not just one side of an argument. Whether the driver is a crazed agro dude or a mom with some kids doesn't matter. Accidents happen and there is usually a reason.  

When I'm out on the bike, its not the bike that is harder :devil: 

But 1+ ton of steel beats a bike with a semi any day!

On a serious note, I actually wanted to weigh in on the personal perspective you're describing here. In my current experience, I've come to the conclusion that every cyclist is in a different phase of their cycling career. Some are doing it for fitness and try their utmost to stay safe for families etc. while others have a race in a week or two or 10 that they have to absolutely perform their best, so they may take more risks during training, like skipping a red or whatever.

My point is everyone is cycling for their own motivation, so predicting a cyclist's state of mind as well as actions is a gamble at best. If every motorist and cyclist was more predictable, I think sieving through to filter the tjops would be simpler, but the world is complex and each agenda makes each encounter a chance for something new (which could be having a gun pulled on you or the start of a new friendship. I'm still hoping to meet a friend this way, but think my gun keeps scaring them off)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is everyone is cycling for their own motivation, so predicting a cyclist's state of mind as well as actions is a gamble at best

This is the exact reason why rules exist. So that you can trust that the oke at the red traffic light will actually stop.

In SA we all evaluate for ourselves whether the rule should apply to us and then decide whether to follow the rule or not. Which is THE VERY REASON our country is falling apart. And its right from Zuma selling the country right down to a cyclist jumping a red light coz he doesn't want to miss out on that PR.

We think we're very clever and special but in reality we are incredibly stupid.

Not aimed directly at you.

while others have a race in a week or two or 10 that they have to absolutely perform their best, so they may take more risks during training, like skipping a red or whatever.

My point is everyone is cycling for their own motivation, so predicting a cyclist's state of mind as well as actions is a gamble at best. If every motorist and cyclist was more predictable, I think sieving through to filter the tjops would be simpler, but the world is complex and each agenda makes each encounter a chance for something new (which could be having a gun pulled on you or the start of a new friendship. I'm still hoping to meet a friend this way, but think my gun keeps scaring them off)

So it's OK to skip a red because you are training for a race? 

Your motivation for cycling is irrelevant when it comes to the rules of the road, like stopping at a red traffic light for example. 

while others have a race in a week or two or 10 that they have to absolutely perform their best, so they may take more risks during training, like skipping a red or whatever.

Call me a dumbass or whatever, but if you stuck at a robot, gooi uber hard when it goes green, push your limits into the red HR. From everything i have been reading and doing on Sufferfest its  called interval training!

So what many are saying is that although the speed limit on Franschoek pass is 100km/h, everyone driving on the pass should expect cyclists 2 abreast at 15km/h.

So to be reasonably safe one should only drive at about 60km/h.

1. As cyclists we may be aware that there may be cyclists on the road, other drivers will not, ever.

2. Can cyclist rightly expect drivers to drive well below the speed limit just in case there may be cyclists in the road around the corner.

The argument that you should expect a broken down vehicle around a blind bend does not hold water. In that case the driver or someone will flag motorists or they will put a warning triangle in the road.

Some cyclists seem to be very entitled.

By all means cycle in the middle of the road, just give your wife and kids a good hug before you leave on your ride.

When a vehicle hits a cyclist it is always the cyclist that comes off second best.

Really?! how often does this actually happen?

Shjoe, i see so many arguments for bad driving practices being promoted here. I'm not sure this is actually a cycling forum

Shjoe, i see so many arguments for bad driving  cycling practices being promoted here. I'm not sure this is actually a cycling forum

Fixed.

"With the cyclists in double row they are further out into the road an therefore will be seen earlier whether you are speeding or not." - DieselnDust

Shjoe, i see so many arguments for bad driving practices being promoted here. I'm not sure this is actually a cycling forum

I think you have misunderstood me.

This is what should happen, and there should be some warning for any obstacle in the road including cyclists in the middle of the road.

If a group of cyclists want to be pro and ride in a bunch then please get the pro car with signage following behind

So it's OK to skip a red because you are training for a race? 

Your motivation for cycling is irrelevant when it comes to the rules of the road, like stopping at a red traffic light for example. 

Call me a dumbass or whatever, but if you stuck at a robot, gooi uber hard when it goes green, push your limits into the red HR. From everything i have been reading and doing on Sufferfest its  called interval training!

I assume neither of you are aware of the recent thread where a cyclist rode through a red into a vehicle that was emerging from a hidden driveway - there was a reason for my example.

Archived