Cyclists on the Franschhoek pass

Titleist

The bikehub seems to have a large number of youngsters that dont know how easy it is to die an "accidental" death

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many people here get their fists up for a fight with the OP before even considering listening to what he has to say.

He didn't ask us to put ourselves behind his steering wheel. He asked us to imagine ourselves on the saddle of a bike and in a dangerous place. He did not complain of inconvenience caused to him and he did not demean cyclists. His post was in very reasonable language and cannot be seen as a flaming rant. It is clear from his post count and last sentence that he cycles himself.

Then, consider the FIRST RULE of road cycling: STAY ALIVE!

Nothing else is as important! His message is a good one, for the sake of your own life, at least THINK about it whenever you ride a narrow twisty road, be it Franschoek Pass or Constantia Neck.

The question is should he not have done something there and then - they are obviously not the converted. Preaching here on the hub will do little as many are already converted and those that are not are certainly not going to change their habits.

Another question is - is it our responsibility to question or reprimand fellow cyclists when stepping over the line? I do especially when it comes to red traffic lights and riding 2 or more abreast and must say that the majority of responses by far have been positive.(Feel a bit of a prig doing so though)

Edited by porqui

Here lies the body of William Jay, Who died maintaining his right of way – He was right, dead right, as he sped along, But he’s just as dead as if he were wrong.

Did you make this up right now!?  :clap:

The question is should he not have done something there and then - they are obviously not the converted. Preaching here on the hub will do little as many are already converted and those that are not are certainly not going to change their habits.

So the problem is not the cyclists riding inconsiderately but rather the subsequent Hub post about cyclists riding inconsiderately?

I have on occasion asked politely that someone obey the rules. I only ever got such aggressive and abusive responses that I decided to stop trying (wrong thing to do, I know) but on every occasion I ended up being the one who felt shitty and who had a great ride turn sour. So, I certainly will not, from a vehicle, stop and confront a group of cyclists. It is not a stretch to imagine getting beat up or pepper sprayed like a good few drivers have been. So, I think it is unfair to expect the OP to do something like that. Some of us are not confrontational by nature, or built like the Hulk. To come and state his case here on a cycling forum is a good way to address his concern re. safety. Note that he did not post it on Twitter or some non cycling forum. 

WOW ... I can not believe how defensive every cyclist on here is.  I have not read every reply and I am not going to.  But flaming the OP ... seriously!

It is not the responsibility of the OP to stop and tell cyclist that they are breaking the law and endangering not only themselves but other road users too.

And expecting him to stop and make already dangerous situation worse.

Every cyclist out there should be responsible for his own actions.  Those actions are being defended here by those saying the OP should have stopped ... thats crazy.

Shite like this that gives cyclists a bad name on the road.

WOW ... I can not believe how defensive every cyclist on here is.  I have not read every reply and I am not going to.  But flaming the OP ... seriously!

It is not the responsibility of the OP to stop and tell cyclist that they are breaking the law and endangering not only themselves but other road users too.

And expecting him to stop and make already dangerous situation worse.

Every cyclist out there should be responsible for his own actions.  Those actions are being defended here by those saying the OP should have stopped ... thats crazy.

Shite like this that gives cyclists a bad name on the road.

You my man, need several Bells!!

Wait for it....

OP comes speeding along sees two cyclists speeds past and then blames the cyclists for dangerous cycling.. LOL

vehicle behind has the duty to keep clear and pass safely. 

Can't believe so many motorists frequent a cycling forum

The OP did something.  He created awareness of the wrongdoings of cyclist on this here, the favorite hangout of every cyclist in SA. 

Which has clearly struck a core otherwise he would not be asked to take responsibility for the action of the cyclist.

Are you suggesting the OP rather start a thread on 4x4 and tell the motorist "Those cyclist dont want to listen, next time they are in YOUR way, take them out!"  ??

(Someone did that a while ago and that went down way worse than this tread, if you recall?)

Wait for it....

OP comes speeding along sees two cyclists speeds past and then blames the cyclists for dangerous cycling.. LOL

and you know this how?

Wait for it....

Trumpism at its best...skewing\deviating from the facts to suite your agenda.

"... in DOUBLE file, right of the yellow line, up the pass." - OP

Maybe a picture will work for you.

post-52018-0-09869800-1547801477_thumb.png

What is going to happen around that left-hand bend with cyclist "... in DOUBLE file, right of the yellow line, up the pass." and a yellow bakkie comes down the pass?

I'm with DJR on this. Every time I have told some dwiss on the road, be it a cyclist or a motorist that they are acting like a dwiss I have been met with aggression. The last time it was a cyclist who passed me on the right while I was turning right. He promptly klapped my side mirror and sped off like the coward he probably is.

It's not worth the effort.

Wait for it....

You need to read the first post again as your facts are all wrong.