Which first bike to get?

NickofTime_ZA

Hi everyone,

I've decided to buy a mountain bike for commuting to work and recreational riding. Would probably like to try some serious mountain biking too.

My budget is around 4k-5k, however would consider increasing my budget if it really makes a difference.

I'm looking for the best value for money, and have found 3 options that I'm interested in:

1. Silverback stride 27MD (2018), New, R4000:

FRAME 27,5" 6061 Aluminium, 1-1/8” headtube, 135mm QR Dropouts, disc brake mounts, fender and rack mounts

HUBS QR Alloy, 32 Hole, 6-Bolt Disc Mount, Adjustable cup and cone angular contact bearings, 9mm Axle, Black

SEATPOST Dia 30,9mm x 350mm; Black

REAR SHOCK N/A

STEM XS/S/M: 70mm; L/XL: 90mm; , 7° x Dia 31.8mm, Black

TYRES Maxxis Sphinx 650B x 2.1", Wire Bead, Black

SADDLE Black, Steel Rails

CASSETTE Shimano MF-TZ21, 7 Speed, 14-28T, Brown/Black

RIMS Alloy double Wall, 32H, Black Sidewall, Custom Sector Decals

HANDLEBAR W: 700mm; Back Sweep: 9° x Dia 31.8mm; 6061 Butted Oversized

SHIFTERS Shimano ST-EF41, 3x7 EZ-Fire, Black

CRANKSET Shimano FC-TY301, 42/34/24T, Chainguide, L: 175mm All Sizes, Black/Silver

BRAKE SET Promax DSK-717 Mechanical Disc Brake System, Rotors F: 180mm; R: 160mm, 6-bolt, Black

FORK ZOOM 565A-MLO, 100mm Travel, 1-1/8” Steerer, M/LO, 9mm Dropout, Post Mount Disc Brake

FRONT DER Shimano FD-TY300, Down Swing, Triple, Clamp-on 34.9mm, Black

REAR DER Shimano Tourney, RD-TY300, 7 Speed, Black

Wheel Size 27.5"

2. Merida Big NIne 500 (2016), 2nd Hand hardly used, R6000:

Frame BIG.NINE / BIG.SEVEN TFS

Fork Rock Shox FS 30STK SA 100

Derailleur Front Shimano Deore double

Derailleur Rear Shimano SLX Shadow

Shifters Shimano Deore

Brake Lever Shimano M315

Brakes Shimano M315 180 cen / Shimano M315 160 cen

Chainwheel Shimano M627 36-22(29") / 38-24(27.5")

Chain KMC X10

Hubs Shimano Centerlock

Rim MERIDA BIG.NINE / BIG.SEVEN Comp CC

Freewheel Shimano CS-HG50-10 11-36

Tires Maxxis Ikon 2.2...

Wheel Size 29"

3. Volcan XC2, 2nd Hand, probably needs a service, R7500:

Similar specs to this bike: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-mountain-bikes/other/volcan-mtb-+-29-+-full-carbon-10-75kg/1003932649890910103076309

Except has: Koryak Pro handlebars, Dual Draco ceramic disk brake set, Octalink / Shimano combo XC/enduro pedals, SRAM X-9/X-7 (24 gear) groupset with Deare XT shift , Shimano wheel technology alloy rims for tubeless tyres, dual FOX shocks, Kenda small block eight tubeless John Tomac signature series tyres and a pro nylon seat platform with removable gel pad.

Wheel Size 29"

Reluctant about the clip pedals on the Volcan XC2.

So which deal do you think is the best value for money?

Based in JHB

post doesnt say where you are based

if you in Gauteng my best advice would be to go to bike market in Sandton area

they have good quality 2nd hand bikes

they also have lots of options so you can pick and choose

try them

www.bikemarket.co.za

good luck

Where are you located? A good friend of mine has a medium Titan 27.5 with Full XT and a Reba on it in pristine condition for R7500 or R8000

But whatever you do, get a second hand bike - if you love cycling you'll want to upgrade, else you can sell it at more or less break-even if you don't

Thank you guys I appreciate the advice.

@rorydewet and @cpelser, ya I'm in Jhb, however looking for an XL or at least L, I'm 6ft3

Can someone please explain why the Merida beats the Volcan?

The Volcan has a carbon fibre frame, and apparently new they retail for like 50k?? That's what the seller told me anyway

Thank you guys I appreciate the advice.

@rorydewet and @cpelser, ya I'm in Jhb, however looking for an XL or at least L, I'm 6ft3

I'm in JoBurg, I'm tall, 195 cm. I have a Giant Trance XL, 26"... but well speced. Rockshox Revelation dual air u turn 120 - 150 mm fork with lock out. Hope pro 2 hubs with Mavic 819 rims, tubeless, sram drive train with grip shifters, brand new rear shifter in a box. XT brakes, a set of new XT brakes in the box and a set of new sram grips and a rear shifter in London will be here in March goes with the bike. All this for R 5000.00 not neg. You will need a seat, I'm keeping the Brooks, happy for you to stop by and give her a test ride, does have spd pedals?

Can someone please explain why the Merida beats the Volcan?

The Volcan has a carbon fibre frame, and apparently new they retail for like 50k?? That's what the seller told me anyway

I've had experience with Merida and have had no issues with replacement parts, servicing or upgrades.

50K....i find that very hard to believe but that's just my opinion. Maybe somebody here on the Hub can clarify?

I'm in JoBurg, I'm tall, 195 cm. I have a Giant Trance XL, 26"... but well speced. Rockshox Revelation dual air u turn 120 - 150 mm fork with lock out. Hope pro 2 hubs with Mavic 819 rims, tubeless, sram drive train with grip shifters, brand new rear shifter in a box. XT brakes, a set of new XT brakes in the box and a set of new sram grips and a rear shifter in London will be here in March goes with the bike. All this for R 5000.00 not neg. You will need a seat, I'm keeping the Brooks, happy for you to stop by and give her a test ride, does have spd pedals?

Not a ride goes by when I don't miss my Trance...great all round bike and that's a good price.

That sounds interesting! Is that a dual suspension bike? Year model? Can you send me any pictures or links?

If you're taking your seat, how much does the average seat go for usually?

Where about in JHB do you stay?

I really don't know how to feel about SPD pedals yet.. Worried I'd fall flat on my face

I've had experience with Merida and have had no issues with replacement parts, servicing or upgrades.

50K....i find that very hard to believe but that's just my opinion. Maybe somebody here on the Hub can clarify?

My mistake, he actually said the newest models are going for 50k

That sounds interesting! Is that a dual suspension bike? Year model? Can you send me any pictures or links?

If you're taking your seat, how much does the average seat go for usually?

Where about in JHB do you stay?

I really don't know how to feel about SPD pedals yet.. Worried I'd fall flat on my face

Pedals is the least issue just fit basic flat pedals which is what I have done on my commuter bike. 

Dual suspension. 2009 Giant Trance. Was blue and silver, I had it sprayed white. I’m in Modderfontein during the day and Rembrandt Park after hours. I’ll put up a pic in the morning. Parts in the box are worth more than the asking price. Available only to you by the way.

Archived