Suspension pivot maintenance

Butterbean

Some pivots (Santa Cruz, Intense and a few others) use a collet axle which very much can be overtightened by people who don't read the instructions.

Yep this is what happened to me.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marine grease is fine for pivots.

Better at resisting water.

Hmmm not necessarily. It depends on the thickener used in the grease.

Lithium based marine grease only marginally outperform general purpose lithium based grease in corrosion tests.

If you want higher water repelling then calcium based thickener should be the grease to opt for

Diesel in general marine grease resists water better than non marine grease.

Hence the name "marine grease"

What I found is that the bearings come with very little grease in them so when I buy new pivot bearings I carefully remove the 2 rubber seals, and then pack them FULL of grease so much so that when I put the seal back the grease comes out.

Pivot moves VERY little so any moisture gets in it gets the beargin to rust and stop moving.

I also do this on new bearings - both wheelbearings and pivot bearings

But marine grease get tacky a lot quiker than normal grease and that will create fricktion on the bearing

I see you are well read from the wrong sources.

Marine grease is actual fact not water proof. Marine grease is designed to adhere to metal surfaces more aggressively and to entrain water not to repel it. A typical marine grade grease would also not gall and will remain fluid in the presence of water. The soap is selected to absorb water like a sponge would. If it didn't,  free water would leak into the bearing and corrode the metal surfaces.

Marine grade greases have additional tacifier and a higher dose of corrosion inhibitor.

So the more marine grease you pack into a wheel bearing the more water it will absorb till it is saturated. 

Non Marine grade grease will gall and separate the water out which results in the grease hardening. HArd grease won;t lubricate because the oil can't escape or will be washed out 

But marine grease get tacky a lot quiker than normal grease and that will create fricktion on the bearing

You can opt to use a "NLGI 0" consistency grease and not a "NLGI 2". 

But ya in general, the more marine grease you use the more water is absorbed the thicker the grease will become but still function. Since in pivot bearings the movement is minimal, i'd be inclined to use an Aluminium Complex or Clay based grease.

the practice of packing a pivot bearing ball bearing full of grease is a good one but maintenance is still required regularly.

Yes marine grade grease is a great option but its doesn't repel water. So without the churning that would be present in a wheel bearing, is it such a good idea?.....Maybe. Its probably better than "waterproof grease".

Hi, sort of on this topic, where do you buy the bearings? I have to replace pivot bearings , headset bearings and wheel bearings.

Hi, sort of on this topic, where do you buy the bearings? I have to replace pivot bearings , headset bearings and wheel bearings.

Headset bearings and pivot bearings at a bike shop, wheel bearings you can get from any bearing supplier.

Pivot bearings should be full complement for their higher load rating, and I've never found them at an industrial bearing supplier.

Headset bearings and pivot bearings at a bike shop, wheel bearings you can get from any bearing supplier.

Pivot bearings should be full complement for their higher load rating, and I've never found them at an industrial bearing supplier.

This. And I use CRC Marine Grease (Turquise in colour) to pack the bearings. Have not had issues yet.

Archived