More Enduro in Gauteng Area

Odin775

Reviving a very old thread here but after being away from enduro and Mtb for a number of years I've finally got a new bike built and ready to make my way off the tar...

In light of this thread are there any enduro events or rides still happening in and around the Gauteng area?

I know Hakahana closed down but have seen a new bike park opening in Pretoria that seems to cater for enduro type riding and events.

Following that is there still a series and/or events happening in KZN, if it means getting a few guys together to make the drive down that way for an event and some good riding I have no issues.

Keen to hear some thoughts and feedback from the vaalies

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually in the same boat. Maybe its envy from watching too much GMBN and Seth's Bike Hacks, but I often find myself wishing we had trail systems like those in GP.

I've actually been toying with the idea of opening a bike park on the Linksfield koppie. Start at Gilooly's farm, climb to the top and have a handful of fun, fast, technical downhill runs back to the trailhead. Maybe even have the climb up be shuttle-friendly.

Don't know how much interest there would be for something like that, but with the number of riders we have here there has to be a few guys that would like a trail that isn't just an undulating loop of footpath cut into the veld. Places like Red Barn have started including some more flow and more tech into their trail systems but its generally a lot of flat, twisty slogging.

Ohh yeh baby! That is on my doorstep and I'd definitely love that!

Have always thought that this Ridge has a lot of elevation to offer.. .

Especially heading down to Huddle the north way , but it is very built up that side..

Maybe possible to have a North down run.. linking back somehow to the area you said?

I'm actually in the same boat. Maybe its envy from watching too much GMBN and Seth's Bike Hacks, but I often find myself wishing we had trail systems like those in GP.

I've actually been toying with the idea of opening a bike park on the Linksfield koppie. Start at Gilooly's farm, climb to the top and have a handful of fun, fast, technical downhill runs back to the trailhead. Maybe even have the climb up be shuttle-friendly.

Don't know how much interest there would be for something like that, but with the number of riders we have here there has to be a few guys that would like a trail that isn't just an undulating loop of footpath cut into the veld. Places like Red Barn have started including some more flow and more tech into their trail systems but its generally a lot of flat, twisty slogging.

Reviving a very old thread here but after being away from enduro and Mtb for a number of years I've finally got a new bike built and ready to make my way off the tar...

In light of this thread are there any enduro events or rides still happening in and around the Gauteng area?

I know Hakahana closed down but have seen a new bike park opening in Pretoria that seems to cater for enduro type riding and events.

Following that is there still a series and/or events happening in KZN, if it means getting a few guys together to make the drive down that way for an event and some good riding I have no issues.

Keen to hear some thoughts and feedback from the vaalies

http://buffelsdriftmtb.co.za/

Quite a drive out there but definitely worth it for the regular trails. 

The enduro lines look HECTIC, ie unrideable on an XC bike.   

FYI, it gets HOT in the summer.

Wolwespruit in Pretoria is ideal for enduro. They recently opened a super cool new flow line, fast and doable on any kind of bike, XC or enduro. 

It's a steep climb back up to the top, but worth it.

There used to be pretty good trails there, and one hell of a downhill. Pretty sure it was closed due to serious safety issues.

But yes, every day I do the Gillooly's flyover I wish I could do a few laps there (or anywhere else in the area tbh)

Find a place, and the builders will come.

There are some trails on the Bill Stewart reserve across from the Linksfield ridge. Couple nice downhills and a couple climbs to make you sweat

Rode some of the trails there and some of those enduro lines are pretty mal. Still can’t get the one out of my minds eye, I just remember a big rock drop over some jeep track into single track between trees. Looked mal.

Aah yes forgot to mention those trails.

What would cover most or all of the enduro type trails - Buffel?

Im looking for somewhere to ride on saturday morning, would anyone be keen to meet up at Buffelsdrift?

I have often looked at koppies and hills and thought to myself something fairly decent could be put together around that but then i think what sort of authorities does one need to go through to start building trails?

For example the sort of trails you could build at Suikerbosrand nature reserve has huge potential for the reserve but i can only imagine the red tape with it being a national park.

Aah yes forgot to mention those trails.

What would cover most or all of the enduro type trails - Buffel?

Im looking for somewhere to ride on saturday morning, would anyone be keen to meet up at Buffelsdrift?

Buffel goes past the enduro lines but they are seperate trails. There is around 6 of them. Good fun and lots of climbing to get back to the top.

Anyone have an update on the plans for the future of the Hartbeespoort track? Are they adding more lines? I did see there was a plan for an enduro event there.

It's basically the same distance driving as Hakahana was. Just seems to be a matter of how developed it's going to get.

If there was a mix of the DH track, some flow lines and features, you could easily spend an entire day there (or even a weekend). For now though I'm finished after about 4 runs. and slightly traumatised on a few occasions.

Anyone have an update on the plans for the future of the Hartbeespoort track? Are they adding more lines? I did see there was a plan for an enduro event there.

It's basically the same distance driving as Hakahana was. Just seems to be a matter of how developed it's going to get.

If there was a mix of the DH track, some flow lines and features, you could easily spend an entire day there (or even a weekend). For now though I'm finished after about 4 runs. and slightly traumatised on a few occasions.

I read something about 3 enduro events planned for the year with SA Champs scheduled for October

Would be pretty neat if it goes ahead as planned.

Came across Mpumalanga Enduro happening at MTO Trails in White River on 4 April.

Anyone from Gauteng planning to go through, this is some awesome trail riding in a beautiful part of the Country?

https://www.facebook.com/events/1851027965030570/

Its unfortunately been postponed but it will be very worthwhile. I had the luck to test the trails they will be using and they are very fun. Keep an eye out for the new dates.