More Enduro in Gauteng Area

Odin775

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions how we can go about of getting more Enduro events and Enduro trails in the Pretoria/Johannesburg area.

I think there is a lot of potential in the areas but interest just seems to low with most trails more XC orientated. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the right line you can get some serious elevation drop at wolwe spruit but the run would be 2mins long at best

The park just needs to get on board

The event with Claudio last year was abismal

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions how we can go about of getting more Enduro events and Enduro trails in the Pretoria/Johannesburg area.

I think there is a lot of potential in the areas but interest just seems to low with most trails more XC orientated.

I know the guys from Hakahana trails have been bashing their head against a wall trying to get more participation - but unfortunately the interest just lies in marathon in Gauteng.

For proper Enduro trails you need big elevation and long descents, and unfortunately that is hard to come by in Pta/Jhb.

Enduro is something you do on a motorbike and it is plenty big in GP...

Hakahana is your best best & Johan one of the best trail architects in the business.

I do reckon that you could also get some tasty enduro stages at Van Gaalens - loads of potential.

Yes Wolwespruit can easily have a few black and double black trails added to their koppie with a good descent. Groenkloof and Klapperkop also has the potential for few good enduro trails. It will never match what you can get in Natal or the Western Cape but it will be great for progression.

Yes and it is baffling because the trails at Hakahanna is really one of the best in the area. It is sad that trails will only be open on a limited basis this year. 

hi guys looking to get in to enduro. i stay in ermelo MP. what would advice would you guys give to somebody that want to move over from xco to enduro

Just do it man!  :thumbup:

Go ride your bike and enjoy the Gnar!

Also I wouldn't listen to the fools that say you need an "enduro specific" rig (Full-Sus - 150/160+ mm)

You can shred and enjoy enduro on a XC HT if you really want to - I ride an enduro HT (steel frame & super slack with 140mm of kashima goodness)

PS just make sure you have tubeless else it's going to be a long day at the office  :whistling:

when is the next event for someone to get there feet wet in a enduro event? looks like there is a lot of event in kzn? any in sabie area ?

ironthrone @ harties cableway?

I seriously caution anyone who goes to ride there , you need have full protection gear and be half decent on your bike 

it gets very rocky and very steep 

100% NOT for newbies who are looking to test the waters

I seriously caution anyone who goes to ride there , you need have full protection gear and be half decent on your bike 

it gets very rocky and very steep 

100% NOT for newbies who are looking to test the waters

I'm ready....

post-12678-0-76194000-1549295578_thumb.jpg

hi guys looking to get in to enduro. i stay in ermelo MP. what would advice would you guys give to somebody that want to move over from xco to enduro

Come ride the Howick Enduro on 2 March.. 

when is the next event for someone to get there feet wet in a enduro event? looks like there is a lot of event in kzn? any in sabie area ?

Hey dude

I put up All the events that are registered with CSA so far here:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/180558-2019-national-dh-calendar-guys-need-to-start-putting-their-hands-up/

There are some others I know of - but dont have dates.

There is the York Enduro in Sabie area, but that is an invitational I believe.

As Griffin says - come down to the Howick Enduro on the 2nd March.

• 2 months later...

Yes Wolwespruit can easily have a few black and double black trails added to their koppie with a good descent. Groenkloof and Klapperkop also has the potential for few good enduro trails. It will never match what you can get in Natal or the Western Cape but it will be great for progression.

Yes and it is baffling because the trails at Hakahana is really one of the best in the area. It is sad that trails will only be open on a limited basis this year. 

Well Hakahana is now closed.

The sad thing is that since we started running enduro races over the past 6 years, there have been over 700 unique entries... but there were hardly any more than 100 riders at any enduro race. So ultimately it's the enduro crowd who have let it die. I've spent a lot of time housesitting Haka and there were weekends where zero riders pitched up. Johan still had to pay salaries to the guys to open up the trails... it just becomes unsustainable.

I may have a few ideas to get an enduro series in Gauteng going again... possibly sometime in the future.